Grandma's birthday today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma's birthday today.

She'd be 104 alzheimer's & dementia is hell to watch. This video kinda says it all
    Last edited by Eric; December 3, 2018, 11:40 PM.

I'm OK with getting old. Really, I am. But I SO don't want to get to the place where I don't know who I am and what I'm doing and who YOU are. My family and friends all have permission to "trip over the plug" if you catch my drift.

Sorry your Grandma and the family have to go thru this. I'll wager she wouldn't want to go on this way.

Dan

Comment

I saw this happen with my grandfather briefly (we live in different states) He couldn't remember my father (his oldest son) and he had no idea who I was. To think about how terrifying it must be to go through that, not knowing who anyone around you is or what you should even be doing. I would imagine it must feel like you're abducted by aliens or something.

It always seems (in my limited experience) that people who have very strong wills live longer (only considering people who die of "Old Age) and it must be an especially difficult transition to know you "had" all of that strength and are now completely reliant on others, even if they are kind and loving.

Sorry, I have never really put much thought to this before and my thoughts got away from me...

Comment

Originally posted by Markmx6 View Post
        I saw this happen with my grandfather briefly (we live in different states) He couldn't remember my father (his oldest son) and he had no idea who I was. To think about how terrifying it must be to go through that, not knowing who anyone around you is or what you should even be doing. I would imagine it must feel like you're abducted by aliens or something.

It always seems (in my limited experience) that people who have very strong wills live longer (only considering people who die of "Old Age) and it must be an especially difficult transition to know you "had" all of that strength and are now completely reliant on others, even if they are kind and loving.

Sorry, I have never really put much thought to this before and my thoughts got away from me...
        We must have been twins separated at birth.....and you are the lucky one for that. I could say the same thing nearly verbatim, sans different states.

My grandfather withered in a nursing home for years floating in & out of recognition. My grandmother didn't last a month in a home. I always figured she gave up on life. Once my dad was diagnosed with cancer he too gave up. We were making plans for him to move closer in March, in May we making funeral arrangements. What concerns me more that the possibilities of the future is not wasting the present. For my fortieth birthday the orthopedic surgeon said my body was disproportionately depleted for my age, that was eleven years ago. I'm still having trouble adapting.

I vividly remember the Judas Priest of the 1980s and what's above doesn't even sound like the same band. An odd occurrence during the 1980s, all the bands from the 60s were trying to reunite and have reunion tours. I always figured they snorted or smoked all the money and needed more....of all three.
        Last edited by 68scott385; December 4, 2018, 10:13 PM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Sorry to hear.... my sister in law went through that with her Mom... Best you can do is to remember all the good times there were and put today's actions in perspective....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks. guys.
            Was just thinking of her and that song, and even though that song when written was about takings ones life , if you believe the talking heads in the media.
            It fits for when a person gets sick with one or both of those ., At least it seems to, no idea if they feel trapped in another state of mind or not. but anyone that watched a loved one go through it. it seems so.

She was gone 3 years before she passed. That was the saddest part . She could not remember who you are or what was said 2 minutes ago. but could rattle off landmarks and what was on what street in order mind you from back in the 1930's. not only what was on the street but the name of the sodajerk, who she hung around with at the icecream parlor. And could tell stories of thinks that happened there back then. like her friend's b/f getting on one knee. but could not remember a god dam thing from 5 minutes ago. It is a madning cruel sickness.
            Last edited by Eric; December 5, 2018, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X