No announcement yet.

Could They Sell This Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While we are discussing it, I will note that research shows, that those exhibiting this type of unacceptable behavior get angry when their motives, intentions, strategy and tactics are revealed to the general public and usually lash out. Just sayin' ....

Comment

• "If I'm the voice of reason, we're screwed"

I just do not get the "troll" behavior...
      Sure you want to opine... Disagreed with then lash out? Why? Does not make your opinion any more valid...

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
        While we are discussing it, I will note that research shows, that those exhibiting this type of unacceptable behavior get angry when their motives, intentions, strategy and tactics are revealed to the general public and usually lash out. Just sayin' ....
        Who, is getting angry?
        I'm not. But I believe the guy that posted the f/u to the bowtie bastards. might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
          Closest thing today - Charger R/T Scat Pack?

Click image for larger version Name:	2015-dodge-charger-r-t-scat-pack-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-658770-s-original.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	1224500

$37k buys 485hp, a mid-12s 1/4 mile and 175mph+, and a rental car interior, for about the average price of a new vehicle in 2018.
          The base '19 Charger has an MSRP of ~$29,000 (transaction prices tend to be substantially lower). There's no way it costs nine-grand more to build a V8. BTW, my last new V8 automobile cost $10,000 less than the Scat Pack . . . that's a whale of a lot of inflation in a little more than half a decade . . . .

Performance cars have been inflating in price like college tuition . . . far outstripping the CPI According to the Morgan Stanley Inflation calculator, What cost $3,500 in 1968 would cost $25,071.54 in 2017. What cost $5,000 in 1968 would cost $35,816.48 in 2017. Note that the '68 Road Runner started at around $2,900 MSRP. $5,000 back then would score a real street sweeper.

Sure, they're quicker and faster now . . . and longer-lasting and safer . . . and require a lot less futzing around . . . But all that costs a lot more in constant dollars. No wonder most "muscle car" buyers are old folks nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

The base '19 Charger has an MSRP of ~$29,000 (transaction prices tend to be substantially lower). There's no way it costs nine-grand more to build a V8. BTW, my last new V8 automobile cost $10,000 less than the Scat Pack . . . that's a whale of a lot of inflation in a little more than half a decade . . . .

Performance cars have been inflating in price like college tuition . . . far outstripping the CPI According to the Morgan Stanley Inflation calculator, What cost $3,500 in 1968 would cost $25,071.54 in 2017. What cost $5,000 in 1968 would cost $35,816.48 in 2017. Note that the '68 Road Runner started at around $2,900 MSRP. $5,000 back then would score a real street sweeper.

Sure, they're quicker and faster now . . . and longer-lasting and safer . . . and require a lot less futzing around . . . But all that costs a lot more in constant dollars. No wonder most "muscle car" buyers are old folks nowadays.
            The problem is you think they only change the engine. those days have passed. the whole drivetrain and electrical system is different.
            it has to go through a hole other set of emission testing/ crash testing, ride and drive r&d . stocking of the parts, calologing of parts, engineering of all those parts.
            the gas guz fee. and the little extra optons that come with that v8 package. All the safety nanny software settings are different. someone had to be paid to rewrite that.
            Ever try to put a v8 in a lesser v6 car? you need the whole donor car, not just the v8 in late model cars. those days of just get a v8 the mounts, and dump it is left the building decades ago.

Comment

• The parts are different, but they're not that much more expensive. They charge what the market will bear, and it will bear quite a bit.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                The parts are different, but they're not that much more expensive. They charge what the market will bear, and it will bear quite a bit.
                All that r&d and and then the testing to be able to put it on sale , cost money.
                it isn't the 60's anymore they can't just drop a v8 in and the reg's go ok.
                The cost is much more than just the parts swap.
                They don't get to use the crash testing for that v6 car, they have to go through the whole thing again. this type stuff isn't cheap. it be like paying for a new roof on your shop twice. it cost double of doing it once.
                Last edited by Eric; December 17, 2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• it cost me 20k to build the shop (in 1993), it only cost 1500 to put a new roof on it last year.

My fabulous web page

Comment

it cost me 20k to build the shop (in 1993), it only cost 1500 to put a new roof on it last year.
                    I ment at the same time. not 20 year later. apples to apple please. you are not talking a new 20 year old car.

Comment

• Whoosh.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                        Whoosh.
                        I know, right.

Comment

• I just like pointing out that analogies usually don't work....

But still, they can get a lot more money for the performance cars, and it doesn't cost them much more to make them. Same thing with luxury cars. I recall reading a quote from about 50 years ago that it cost $300 more to build a Cadillac than to build a Chevy, but they could get $3000 more for the Caddy. (I think a Chevy cost about $3000 at the time)

It seems kind of strange that you're trying to defend the high price of cars that we all wish would be a lot cheaper.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

I just like pointing out that analogies usually don't work....

But still, they can get a lot more money for the performance cars, and it doesn't cost them much more to make them. Same thing with luxury cars. I recall reading a quote from about 50 years ago that it cost $300 more to build a Cadillac than to build a Chevy, but they could get $3000 more for the Caddy. (I think a Chevy cost about $3000 at the time)

It seems kind of strange that you're trying to defend the high price of cars that we all wish would be a lot cheaper.
                            how is knowing there cost with building different drivetrains in the same vehicle. defending? more like acknowledging the reasons why.
                            I'm the first one that love nothing more than the basic body and the v8 options and not much else, if it doesn't make it faster and handle better. it isn't needed ,that includes all the nanny crap, that saves an unskilled drivers butt.
                            But I also acknowledge I am a minority when it comes to what the customers want and by that I mean real buyers, not people that claim they'd open wallet but if it was ever offered would be awol.
                            Last edited by Eric; December 18, 2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• There's some truth to both sides. Regulatory compliance costs money. Those costs have to be spread out over the number of units sold. Under the soft truck CAFE standards, it's easier to pump up the numbers to spread out costs over more units without adversely impacting profits (for a variety of reasons, trucks seem to be simpler and cheaper to build anyhow) .

But the costs are in no way proportionate to how they're ripping off the traditional performance customers nowadays. They know if they can only sell a few thousand units, they're going to: (a) keep the spread of prices of the non-V8s they have to sell wide enough from the V8s to discourage demand (i.e. force marginal customers to settle for less) and (b) rip as much cash as humanly possible out of the V8 diehards.

This kind of market distortion happens every time government regulations interfere with free markets. If we had anything approaching a free market, V8 prices would be more competitive.

They'll get my V8s when they pry them from my cold dead hands . . .

Comment

• why blame it on gov regulations? It's mostly buyers expectations. Adjusted for inflation, today's cheapest crapboxes cost the same as they did 50 years ago, and they meet all current gov regulations.

We can afford more now, we want more, and we'll pay for it. And the carmakers have figured it out.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X