Mazda's new Sky-activX HCCI engine - Homogenous Charge Combustion Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda's new Sky-activX HCCI engine - Homogenous Charge Combustion Ignition

Super lean boosted high compression lit off just shy of auto-ignition?

Where do I sign up - sounds exciting. ZoomZoom!

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/mazda-h...s-not-a-rotary
    Last edited by STINEY; December 7, 2018, 10:03 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Justt sounds like the ordinary things they want to do with direct injection. Seems like it would make a lot of NOx.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

It reminds me of this

With 50 MPG And 1.8 HP/CI, This '80s Engine Was Poised To Revolutionize The Automotive Industry. Now, It's Merely The Stuff Of Legend . . . Or Is It?

Interesting concepts, I agree with RockJust Rock that the NOx are probably off the charts, but catalytic converters may make the compromise liveable...

Comment

The Mazda tech has been discussed in the SAE mag several times in last few months. I can't claim to fully understand it but I'm chewing on it. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out but Mazda is pretty good at thinking out of the box and making it work.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Markmx6 View Post
          Smokey Yunicks Hot-Air Engine is what immediately came to my mind as well. Seems Mazda is using a supercharger to do the "homogenizing" instead of Smokeys turbocharger.

In my research of Smokey's engine Something Has struck me that no one seems to metion. When the air/fuel mixture is heated up past the Turbo (check valve), a lo

A method and apparatus for operating an electric ignition, internal combustion engine that substantially improves the fuel efficiency by utilizing heat normally discharged to the ambient to condition and prepare the fuel mixture prior to entry into the combustion chambers. The apparatus comprises a fuel vaporizer that transfers heat from the engine coolant system to the fuel mixture as it leaves a fuel introducing device such as a carburetor; a fuel mixture heater for heating the mixture above the vaporization temperature of the liquid fuel; and, a mixture homogenizer for thoroughly stirring the fuel mixture that is located in the fuel mixture flow path intermediate the vaporizer and heater. The homogenizer is operative to compress the fuel mixture under certain engine operating conditions and the heater forms the intake manifold for the engine and includes branch flow paths and associated conduits that communicate directly with each combustion chamber through a valve controlled port. The fuel mixture flow path from the homogenizer is constructed to minimize energy losses to the ambient.
          Last edited by STINEY; December 11, 2018, 01:45 PM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
          X