Revisiting Video Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Video Games

Since both of my hands are working now, I've figured out a good way to give them both some exercise. And lemme tell ya, it hurts. My left hand, I finally got the use of my left hand back after about a year. I can even pretend to play guitar with it.

I've got an X-Box.....dinosaur hardware. Need for Speed "SHIFT." At least a 9 year old game loaded into it. The controller is actually the thing. I can actually work it!

But that game, I'm driving a Zonda Z-something. It's not an imaginary car. I looked it up years ago. I made it so far into that game that I earned perhaps the fastest car they had. Made out of carbon fiber, with enough horsepower to take your breath away. And it does, take your breath away. It'll hit 10K RPM as soon as you touch the throttle. You'd better shift quick.

But it has no brakes. From the standing start line, pass about a dozen of them, Turn 1, slow down.....That thing has no brakes. Ginzillions of horsepower, but that thing won't even slow down, even standing on the brakes and downshifting it. Plow through the gravel pit and into the grandstands......that's just not realistic. A car that will go that fast HAS to have some brakes and that one doesn't.

I'm finally able to complete a few laps without wrecking after about 5 tries, but that car has no brakes. It has "some," But I wouldn't drive it. Not on a road course.
    Last edited by pdub; December 9, 2018, 07:25 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Since both of my hands are working now, I've figured out a good way to give them both some exercise. And lemme tell ya, it hurts. My left hand, I finally got the use of my left hand back after about a year. I can even pretend to play guitar with it.

I've got an X-Box.....dinosaur hardware. Need for Speed "SHIFT." At least a 9 year old game loaded into it. The controller is actually the thing. I can actually work it!

But that game, I'm driving a Zonda Z-something. It's not an imaginary car. I looked it up years ago. I made it so far into that game that I earned perhaps the fastest car they had. made out of carbon fiber, with enough horsepower to take your breath away.

But it has no brakes. From the standing start line, pass about a dozen of them, Turn 1, slow down.....That thing has no brakes. Ginzillions of horsepower, but that thing won't even slow down, even standing on the brakes and downshifting it. Plow through the gravel pit and into the grandstands......that's just not realistic. A car that will go that fast HAS to have some brakes and that one doesn't.

I'm finally able complete to a few laps without wrecking after about 5 tries, but that car has no brakes. It has "some," But I wouldn't drive it. Not on a road course.
    One must remember it is just a game.
    There is a reason those sims, the pro drivers use cost millions and the booking time to use them is huge money.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

One must remember it is just a game.
      There is a reason those sims, the pro drivers use cost millions and the booking time to use them is huge money.
      I got onto one,an online game. e Racing or something. It provided huge benefit before I ran Road Atlanta. It was equally unrealistic as far as driving technique, but it was very valuable at least for knowing my way around that track that I'd never seen before. It was accurate, in where the curves were and what they looked like. When I got there I felt like I'd been there before.

Comment

Been a while but when I played Shift it was all about getting as much money and points in the early levels as possible so you could really spend on the car upgrades and tuning later. Any racing game the fun is in starting over and doing it better.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; December 9, 2018, 05:42 AM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Been a while but when I played Shift it was all about getting as much money and points in the early levels as possible so you could really spend on the car upgrades and tuning later. Any racing game the fun is in starting over and doing it better.
          Wouldn't it be great if life itself had a "replay" button? But in real life Red will stop a lot better than he will "go." I've gotten used to that because I've got nearly as much tied up into brakes as I do engine. That video game car is rigged up the other way. It weighs way less than half of what Red does, but it won't hardly even slow down. It proves that the game programming nerds never really drove a hot car when they were punching in all of the 1's and 0's.

Comment

If I revisited a video game it would be Pac-Man. Ain't happening.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              If I revisited a video game it would be Pac-Man. Ain't happening.
              Maybe start out simple and start with PONG

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                Maybe start out simple and start with PONG
                How did you slip through my grasp ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Master of Temporary Repair

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if life itself had a "replay" button? But in real life Red will stop a lot better than he will "go." I've gotten used to that because I've got nearly as much tied up into brakes as I do engine. That video game car is rigged up the other way. It weighs way less than half of what Red does, but it won't hardly even slow down. It proves that the game programming nerds never really drove a hot car when they were punching in all of the 1's and 0's.
                    That's why we talked a LOT about getting Red set up the way he is.... on a road course or in real life on the street, Brakes are Important.... More-so than acceleration....kind of a velvet hammer.... it hits, but its smooth when it does!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

That's why we talked a LOT about getting Red set up the way he is.... on a road course or in real life on the street, Brakes are Important.... More-so than acceleration....kind of a velvet hammer.... it hits, but its smooth when it does!
                      I still can't thank you enough for all of your help Patrick. And you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Wagon Master is perfect, Troll Killer.
                        Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 9, 2018, 11:52 AM.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post

Wagon Master is perfect, Troll Killer.
                          Well stated Sir!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I still can't thank you enough for all of your help Patrick. And you know what I mean.
                            You're quite welcome Pdub! It allows me to keep up on my tracking skills while assisting a very good friend! I have way too many plans trapped in my mind than I have time or resources to accomplish even a fraction! It used to be that if a friend was looking for a part, I could tell him the exact article that the part he needed was reviewed and/or tested in...
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Try GranTurismo, its a better game, more of a simulation, but the car doesn't break if you hit something. With a steering wheel and pedals its drives very much like a real car, but without the G forces. If you are going 200mph and try to stand on the brakes 100ft from the hairpin, you are going to end up bouncing off the walls and throwing gravel everywhere. The main reason I don't really do those games is I have a race car, and drag racing without the feel, sound.. the entire visceral experiences loses something. You can't tell through the seat when the ass end is going to come around on you, you drive by watching rather than by feeling, and feeling it tells you more faster and before you can actually see it.

I do first person shooters and hard core combat flight sims, because I am not going to war again, and I can't afford to fly a P40, P38, A6M-3, or MiG 3 any time soon, and sure as hell can't dogfight in them. Not any of the free to play ones or kiddie arcade flying games, but hard core full real simulators where you need to kick in some rudder just to take off due to prop torque. If I get into road racing in the future, I will learn the tracks with the games like GT4 because they are very good for that, knowing when the corkscrew on Laguna Seca is coming up after that big left sweeper, and knowing if you hit the inner apex you won't fly out of the downhill corkscrew is something you can only learn by doing it. Chances are slim I will get into road racing though, its more expensive than building street strip toys that run single digits.

Comment

Working...
                              X