The Soundtrack of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soundtrack of Life

When I was about 15 years old, a guy I was going to school with showed up at our house in an MG Midget. On the rare day when that car was even running. A convertible. John. I was really surprised. Twice. First that John figured out where I lived and secondly that my parents let me leave the house that day. Many episodes later he bought me my first beer ever at an underage bar.

John died at the age of 43 in Taiwan. Heart attack. Diabetic, probably didn't monitor his condition well enough. He and his son were there. Sketchy. Everything was a bit sketchy with John.

But he turned me onto music. The Beatles. He had a Beatles collection. To show what a sheltered life I had lived, I'd heard all of those songs on the radio but I didn't know those same guys did all of them. I only knew I already liked those songs.

Now, at 61 years of age, I finally YouTubed a Pink Floyd concert. That was the soundtrack when I was in school, Dark Side of the Moon.. And I mean "high" school. Whoever you could buddy up with, who's got a car, who's got the weed? I didn't even like pot, didn't like the effect. Much less than beer. But I did it, I guess trying to fit in.

Anyhow, watching that Pink Floyd concert video, that was a letdown. That's just a few guys with musical instruments. Like, back then it was some message sent down from somewhere above. Nope, that's just some guys with musical instruments. And their studio recordings were so overdubbed and engineered, they had to play part of that over the PA system before they actually started playing the rest of the song live.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    When I was about 15 years old, a guy I was going to school with showed up at our house in an MG Midget. On the rare day when that car was even running. A convertible. John. I was really surprised. Twice. First that John figured out where I lived and secondly that my parents let me leave the house that day. Many episodes later he bought me my first beer ever at an underage bar.

John died at the age of 43 in Taiwan. Heart attack. Diabetic, probably didn't monitor his condition well enough. He and his son were there. Sketchy. Everything was a bit sketchy with John.

But he turned me onto music. The Beatles. He had a Beatles collection. To show what a sheltered life I had lived, I'd heard all of those songs on the radio but I didn't know those same guys did all of them. I only knew I already liked those songs.

Now, at 61 years of age, I finally YouTubed a Pink Floyd concert. That was the soundtrack when I was in school, Dark Side of the Moon.. And I mean "high" school. Whoever you could buddy up with, who's got a car, who's got the weed? I didn't even like pot, didn't like the effect. Much less than beer. But I did it, I guess trying to fit in.

Anyhow, watching that Pink Floyd concert video, that was a letdown. That's just a few guys with musical instruments. Like, back then it was some message sent down from somewhere above. Nope, that's just some guys with musical instruments. And their studio recordings were so overdubbed and engineered, they had to play part of that over the PA system before they actually started playing the rest of the song live.
    You need to go watch the WALL that has the whole double album played and with all the flying pigs and such. That is in dolby surroundsound so you'll need to search out the DVD

Problem you are having is most that went to a pink Floyd show were on mushrooms or acid.

Comment

When I was young we moved to a new town, and a kid a few years older would put his guitar amp (little crate model) and crank out Ace riffs and solos and basicly anything that wa KISS, We moved there in 1978, never heard of kiss, or any hard rock. before that, parents had blondie/3 dog night/eagles/ hall and oats. this was new and I wanted to know more. hung out and well he played a ton of kiss. That was cool, then I joined a bowling leage and a kid had the vn halen cassette in his boom box, it was all over from there on out..

Comment

Music is NOT the soundtrack of our lives. It's just music.

If anything is the soundtrack of our lives.... it's the sound of people talking, and our own minds running ceaselessly in the background.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

If anything is the soundtrack of our lives.... it's the sound of people talking, and our own minds running ceaselessly in the background.
          That is odd.
          Talking to an aunt/uncle/etc doesn't bring back memories like playing the music I was into back when I was young does.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

That is odd.
            Talking to an aunt/uncle/etc doesn't bring back memories like playing the music I was into back when I was young does.
            I'd love to hear my daddy's voice again, but I never will. Not in person. Just sayin.

Comment

I'd love to hear my daddy's voice again, but I never will. Not in person. Just sayin.
              Yes, I understand that, and sorry for your loss.
              But, I remember the first time my dad floored it in his car on an open piece of road, every time I hear lip's funky town. I was the only one he'd do it with as he other 2 could not keep mouth shut and would tell mom, and that started fireworks every time.
              First Chistmas in the new home, dona summers on the raido and juke box hero.
              Maybe I'm just weird. Well. mostlike is.. ha!

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                Everybody's soundtrack is different.

Comment

Song I was listening to driving 2 hrs to see a dying buddy was Blueberry Hill..
                  Now when I hear it I think of him.. One year yesterday is when he passed..

Trying to follow others I get some memory of somebody signing the song..

I've got booklets of albums a friend listened to, wrote lyrics down and made the booklets before anybody wrote them on the back(Sgt Peppers)

Comment

Everybody's soundtrack is different.
                    Stands to reason, if we are individuals - we have different soundtracks.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I have a radio in my head that plays Old Man tunes from the 50s thru the early 80s, mostly. The problem is that I do not have access to the tuner control so the station plays whatever the DJ feels like at the time. Mostly I'm good with the play list but every once in a while I get The 1910 Fruit Gum Company or some such.

Dan

Comment

I have the same model radio in my head Dan.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

The earworms are the worst. I apologize for using that word again because that'll cause somebody to get infested with one. But the sweetest sound on a short term basis is a big V-8 going by at over 200 MPH. It's not a song, but it is. It sure is a song. A short one.

Comment

The earworms are the worst. I apologize for using that word again because that'll cause somebody to get infested with one. But the sweetest sound on a short term basis is a big V-8 going by at over 200 MPH. It's not a song, but it is. It sure is a song. A short one.
                            Naah! Sweetest sound? Hi compression small block hitting the upper notes across the arena as he/she fishtails into a hit!
                            Throttle gets pumped then floored... When floored, a sweet shreik!

Comment

For me music has that ability to remind me of very specific moments. I was in High School when Grunge music was in full swing and it still brings me back.

Comment

Working...
                              X