Streamliner Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streamliner Story

Got the latest HRM in the mail today. It's hard for me to read, the font is too small. But....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010401.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1224073
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

this comes up because the UK bloodhound endeavor went bankrupt? bloodhounds are a french creation, what other result did they expect beside a white flag?

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      Got the latest HRM in the mail today. It's hard for me to read, the font is too small. But....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010401.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1224073
      That is the good part of reading it on the web. need print bigger. it is only a "ctrl" and + key away.
      Bad part computer screens do your eye no favors.

Comment

this comes up because the UK bloodhound endeavor went bankrupt?
        No. You know damn well most magazines have at least a 60 day lead time.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

and just like that 60 days have passed

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            and just like that 60 days have passed

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/bloo...loses-funding/
            Let me make sure I have all of this wrong and make a total ass of myself like I've done so many times before. I literally can't read the story in the magazine because the font is so small. That's my own little problem to deal with, but I think, I believe, since I'm a total goof to start with, that the difference in this story and all the other ones is that this car is wheel-driven. I can be so wrong and I'm pulling my pants down to show every body how stupid I really am. I can't even read the print, not even with a magnifying glass, it's too frustrating to do it that way.

Comment

I haven't gotten the magazine yet but I think it would be thrust driven and the supercharged jag engine is just used for a pump motor .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Pretty sure the Bloodhound was (note past tense) thrust-driven. What made the Vesco's effort so amazing with the turbine car was that they did over 500 in a wheel-driven car though it was not driven by a "conventional" Otto-cycle engine.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Pretty sure the Bloodhound was (note past tense) thrust-driven. What made the Vesco's effort so amazing with the turbine car was that they did over 500 in a wheel-driven car though it was not driven by a "conventional" Otto-cycle engine.

Dan
                  That Bloodhound story is slightly intriguing on its own. They're willing to sell the whole pile of it for $313K. But it'll take about $33 million behind that to make it go the rest of the way. Wonder if it's worth $313K in scrap, all the exotic metals?

Comment

That Bloodhound story is slightly intriguing on its own. They're willing to sell the whole pile of it for $313K. But it'll take about $33 million behind that to make it go the rest of the way. Wonder if it's worth $313K in scrap, all the exotic metals?
                    They "think" it will take $33 million. There's a big difference between estimated cost and actual cost when it comes to achieving a speed record.

Personally, I don't think what they were doing was possible (thus the impossibility of getting more money) ... consider 1200 mph inches off the ground - there is no room for error and no place flat enough to get it done.... yeah, my opinion, but there it is. While we sit on the outside, I've spent enough of my life sitting in these scoping/planning meetings to have learned this little rule. If it's possible, the money will be there.

To my cynical self - the only reason they said 33 million was when you say "I don't have the money" it is less of a blow then "it wasn't possible"... in the second statement's implication is "when did you know it wasn't possible" it is usually followed by a nice little criminal case where you go to jail for a promoting ponzi scheme.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 12, 2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      ... it is usually followed by a nice little criminal case where you go to jail for a promoting ponzi scheme.
                      I believe the first time I ever met Dan Barlow in person was at the land speed race in Ohio. He didn't mince any words, he said, "Dude, you've got more in these tires than I have in any one of my cars." Okay, but buffer that with the fact that he's got an impressive fleet of cars, things that will run.

So $33 million to make the Bloodhound go DOES seem a bit much for something that doesn't actually generate revenue. And I'm no accountant, but that doesn't add up, "dreams" or not.

Comment

I believe the first time I ever met Dan Barlow in person was at the land speed race in Ohio. He didn't mince any words, he said, "Dude, you've got more in these tires than I have in any one of my cars." Okay, but buffer that with the fact that he's got an impressive fleet of cars, things that will run.

So $33 million to make the Bloodhound go DOES seem a bit much for something that doesn't actually generate revenue. And I'm no accountant, but that doesn't add up, "dreams" or not.
                        Oh Dan *smh* you really need to fix your cheap-car-problem

Aircraft carriers don't generate revenue either, but they still serve a purpose. UK wanted to come in and smash the record, all while discouraging others from seeking LSRs in their class.... they succeeded at 50% of their goals, at least for now. Of course, there are some troglodytes who make jokes about their 'fast' surrender.

Comment

The place is correct .
                          The quoted statement...........possibly.........probably correct . Shoot I wasn't paying that much attention to myself .

Now to your statement of ........Okay, but buffer that with he's got an impressive fleet of car that will run .

1992 Vette dead computer not working on it to get sons vette going again after engine transplant .

1987 350 S10 not done because of working on everyone else's junk .

2004 trailblazer hardly any power , getting getting 5 mpg can't put it into the shop till I get something else running . Legally though this is the wife's truck .

2014 Acura TL .........man that car will fly ........but then again, that's the wifes car .
                          All this in the interest of full disclosure.

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperBuickGuy;n1224243]
                            Oh Dan *smh* you really need to fix your cheap-car-problem
                            I'll take my cheap cars , you can keep yours diesels . I may not want one but I don't dis you having one . A little respect of others stuff is in order .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                              A little respect of others stuff is in order .
                              I love you Dan. Did I screw up?
                              Last edited by pdub; December 12, 2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X