Wrecked 1963 Studebaker Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    The Avanti at his place belongs to my buddy David. I've been down to Jeff's and worked on it (chassis #6, BTW). It was significantly modified for LSR years before David bought it (straight front axle, centerish steer, etc.) and it would not be reasonable to convert back. I was thinking Jeff might like the drivetrain given his fondness for all things Studebaker.
    Dan
    this car is pretty historic, in the hot rodding world.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      That's a damn shame. I had forgotten about the built-in roll structure but it sure was effective. Raymond Lowey Associates for the win!

The drive train has to have significant value apart from the body. Looks to be a 4 speed car but I don't know which engine that is (289?). If it's an R3 I can't see the blower. Anyhow, someone will want that stuff (like me if I had something to put it in). I wonder if Jeff Rice knows about it as I'll bet that would be right down his alley.

Dan
      It does look to be an R1 car. The R1 engine is a 289 with a four barrel carb, and some higher performance engine internals. If not damage that engine would be very valuable. (I have that engine in my blue pickup). I imagine that there are a lot of other parts that there would be a market for. No matter what though it is the loss of a rather rare automobile.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post

It does look to be an R1 car. The R1 engine is a 289 with a four barrel carb, and some higher performance engine internals. If not damage that engine would be very valuable. (I have that engine in my blue pickup). I imagine that there are a lot of other parts that there would be a market for. No matter what though it is the loss of a rather rare automobile.
        Does anyone weep when a 401 powered levi's gremmie goes to heaven, Does anyone even notice? they are rare?
        Last edited by Eric; December 16, 2018, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I definitely feel bad when a 401 Gremmie bites the dust. Or a 340 Duster, for that matter. All are fun, interesting cars and they'll never make anything like them again. The Avanti, however, is an iconic design and many think it's one of the most beautiful cars of all time - I'm among them.

Dan

Comment

Levi's Gremlins are quite rare. They are not very valuable. There isn't a strong correlation between rarity and value, you know....value has more to do with desirability. Avantis have some value, probably because there are many who like their styling. They were able to sell new ones for decades.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Dad had a 52 Willys. Cute little car. Flathead 6, 3 on the tree with a broken handle.. Just a 4" stub to shift.
              That was a much better riding/driving car than his 61 Ranchero..
              my 53Studebaker champion had the same engine/trans/broken shifter problem, but was a cool little car and fun to drive! agree with silver bullet, there are cool cars of all domestic brands, and even some Imports! I even rebuilt a 1971 Triumph Stag! anyone know what that is?
              Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
              Gregg and Deb Miller
              Verona, Wi.

Comment

I do now.. Had to look it up.. Those are Stags!?!

Comment

A friend had one (Stag) when I was in college .... put some Bmers to shame! Beautiful design! Even had a few Jensen Interceptors and a Bricklin SV1 rolling around... but my favorite from that time was a sweet Corvair with a Crown conversion 327/350HP in the back seat! That guy had a 57 Chevy wagon that we shoehorned a 426 Hemi into!
                  Last edited by silver_bullet; December 17, 2018, 06:44 AM.
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
                    my 53Studebaker champion had the same engine/trans/broken shifter problem, but was a cool little car and fun to drive! agree with silver bullet, there are cool cars of all domestic brands, and even some Imports! I even rebuilt a 1971 Triumph Stag! anyone know what that is?
                    Knew the Stag semi-well as I worked at a Triumph dealer in that timeframe. You had to stack the engine together - first one head (right, IIRC), the intake manifold, then the other head. The heads were from the OHC 4 cylinder, basically re-applied to the V8 though there may have been some changes between the 4 and the V8. Anyhow, it was an interesting vehicle.

Comment

I drove a Mercury Marauder behind a Triumph Stag "pace car" during a track tour of Heartland Park road course several years back. I had to resist the strong urge to pass . . . .

Stag mill . . .
                      A nearly unbelievable host of design flaws makes you wonder how such a mess ever made it to production

Comment

The one I built came in a basket, or a number of baskets. Most everything was in pieces, but the engine came with three cylinder heads, and a bunch more spare parts. Was basically two 4cylinder engines married at the crankshaft. Had single overhead cams which were chain driven, and as I found out the hard way, were not very durable, and when they go, they take valves, pushrods, pistons, and heads. Car was fun to drive, when it ran, and I was close to swapping in a SBC before it got sold. Triumph never did any product development to improve the engine, or it could have been a reasonable vehicle even with the Lucas electronics!
                        Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                        Gregg and Deb Miller
                        Verona, Wi.

Comment

Working...
                        X