I posted a thread titled life just a fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post

Oh, I get what they are about, it is just they are not about what they claim to be about.
    Traditional jalopies were built with what was in a junk yard. not a bunch of big dollar parts at a swap meet. tig welds, and perfect fab work.
    If a guy or gal got a traditional hot rod body, and built it out of junk yard avail. parts. they'll get tossed.
    Traditional themed in look only, sure. but built, nope.
    While I respect traditionalists who shell out $3,000 for a vintage manifold or $700 for a tachometer (I've got some that are similarly afflicted in my extended family), I agree that such hidebound neo-historical reenactments . . . while often uber bitchin . . . tend to miss the essence of what REAL HOT RODDING WAS ACTUALLY ABOUT.

So I give props to the elitist purists who think the world stopped in 1948 or 1955 or 1965 or 1972 or whatever historical era they're obsessed with. I appreciate a lot of their artistic expressions. But I do not particularly appreciate the dismissive condescension and exclusivity which seems to correlate with a lot of the historical purists.

But then there are plenty of jerks in modern-style rodding and tuning as well. There are jerks in every human endeavor, for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      Oh, I get what they are about, it is just they are not about what they claim to be about.
      Traditional jalopies were built with what was in a junk yard. not a bunch of big dollar parts at a swap meet. tig welds, and perfect fab work.
      If a guy or gal got a traditional hot rod body, and built it out of junk yard avail. parts. they'll get tossed.
      Traditional themed in look only, sure. but built, nope.
      really? Did you ever see my Plan II build there? or my Almost Funny build?

If you use modern junkyard parts like EFI and modern IFS and such, you'll get tossed, unless you keep that stuff low key.

But if you build a car with all old parts and methods, and show how you do it, you'll be revered. BTDT.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Traditional hot rodding such as done on the h.a.m.b. is just how they do it there, it's great that there's a thing like that. Of-course you have to have the interest, and resources such as access to old parts which may likely be in your own stash you develop over time as well as the bucks to fairly trade with other like-minded folks. It's somewhat of an exclusive club, it serves a purpose and exclusive clubs have their place.

If you want to do it differently, you go somewhere else.

I like the variety here and that you can have an opinion and share other interests, but of-course when we are just getting into the same old baiting and whiney crap again under yet-another screen name with an attempt at style change to cover, it's a bummer that the freedom gets mis-used.

I'd never fit in at h.a.m.b. but me, I just about got kicked off HotRodders Forum once just for coming back at some old pr*ck who was dogging me. OK, I suppose...you can believe that if they'd canned me, I would have canned them too (I rarely visited after that anyway, they can have-it). Then we have the opposite extreme over at YB if it's the same as I remember and I don't belong there either.

Maybe someday I'll just get into Wikipedia edits and disappear down that rabbit hole.

Comment

unfortunately this place would probably be a total ghost town without the off topic crap.

Oh well
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            unfortunately this place would probably be a total ghost town without the off topic crap.

Oh well
            Unfortunately...

For me..everydamn walking path is a slurry muddy mess! So car stuff is online..

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Eric - you are NOT reading the same HAMB Squirrel and I are talking about.
              Try posting some of this fantasy princess shit over there. I DARE YA.
              Really, jalopy journal , correct. I've been reading there since it started, but anything else you want to assume.

Comment

really? Did you ever see my Plan II build there? or my Almost Funny build?

If you use modern junkyard parts like EFI and modern IFS and such, you'll get tossed, unless you keep that stuff low key.

But if you build a car with all old parts and methods, and show how you do it, you'll be revered. BTDT.
                well as seen as what is avail in yards today are not going to look like a flat head. , you could take a 2.3ltr hide the spark control, mount 1940 carbs to it, and a duesy s/c and they'd toss ya. cuz the trans has syncros and the engine no points. I've watched it happen over there. more than once
                Last edited by Eric; December 18, 2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Of course getting "tossed" by HAMB is really not much of a loss.

Every club has rules. Often stupid ones. But if you're going to be an "insider," you've got to play along until you get enough gravitas to make changes. If not, find another discrete and insular club to join.

HAMB is a tiny fraction of the automotive hobby. That's not to say that there aren't some equally if not more obnoxious pockets of unnecessary elitism around (venture into a Porsche or Ferrari venue if you don't believe it)

I say have fun on your own terms and don't give a rip what any of the self-appointed "insiders" and "guardians" and "gatekeepers" of pure "hot rodding" think about it.

I enjoy occasionally lurking at HAMB for some of the history and . . . yes . . . some of the entertainingly ridiculous obsessiveness . . . .

Comment

It's obvious you don't "get it, but like I said before, that's ok. It's not elite, it's not insiders, it's not guardians. It's just a bunch of guys that understand what makes cars "traditional", and understand what it means to stay on topic. I find it odd that you haven't figured it out, in all this time. But you're not the only ones.

No need to knock it, though. There's a hell of a lot more going on there....

btw you can't go shopping in a modern junkyard to build a traditional car. It just doesn't work. You have to be a little more selective about which junkyards you visit.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

That's not to say that there aren't some equally if not more obnoxious pockets of unnecessary elitism around (venture into a Porsche or Ferrari venue if you don't believe it)
                      In my experience, the Packard guys are real snobs on a nationwide basis. Everything else is beneath their contempt, and they have NO sense of humor.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I've noticed similar things about early Cadillac, Edsel, Corvair, etc groups. I'm thinking about getting a Packard right now, so it's good to know ahead of time that they're the same way.

The whole "brand superiority" thing baffles me. Maybe that's because I'm an engineer, and I understand how very little difference it makes, who's name is on the car?

My fabulous web page

Comment

It's obvious you don't "get it, but like I said before, that's ok. It's not elite, it's not insiders, it's not guardians. It's just a bunch of guys that understand what makes cars "traditional", and understand what it means to stay on topic. I find it odd that you haven't figured it out, in all this time. But you're not the only ones.

No need to knock it, though. There's a hell of a lot more going on there....

btw you can't go shopping in a modern junkyard to build a traditional car. It just doesn't work. You have to be a little more selective about which junkyards you visit.
                          Depends on your true thought on traditional.?
                          If you see traditional hot rods and rodding as not being built the way of the old days, but having the look, meaning, they are not cheap and easy to build, because of having to hunt long and hard and have a lot of money to throw at it.

Or if you see traditional hot rod, and rodding as being able to build it on the cheap, using what is avail in junk yards and building it to get the best performance you can out of your use of parts and build?
                          The ladder is how it was done in the "good ole day" just the parts avail are not the same.
                          The hamm, has nothing in common with ole school rodding, other than the rod it self "look" It looks like back then. but isn't traditional hot rodding, as it is costly, slow, and can't be built with avail parts.
                          Traditional look, yes, traditional teens to '48 hot rodding, not a chance.

Comment

Many of the cars we see on the HAMB are built with a lot of modern versions of "old" stuff....because that's what's easily available, and most guys are lazy. but there are a few that are built with all old stuff. Most are somewhere in between.

But yeah, the HAMB definition of traditional means it looks like cars looked 50+ years ago, which means you can't use parts from modern cars.

The HAMB definition of traditional does not mean installing stuff from late model cars into an old car, just like we used to do. Because the parts in modern late model cars are not the same as parts in 50 years ago late model cars.

Also, you seem to think that all old hot rods were built with no money...that's not the case. The old magazines are full of high dollar builds.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Also, you seem to think that all old hot rods were built with no money...
                              The vast majority were. And therein lies the crux of the matter.

But in every field of endeavor, humans have needed to find ways to exclude the masses and distinguish themselves. The HAMB way is alright. Most of the cars are nice.

As I've suggested in the threads on late model stripdowns/buggies and the Lotus 7 threads, I'm looking forward to when some of the old ideas are repackaged with cheaper late-model stuff. That's elemental hot rodding even if it does not pay strict homage to some prior "golden" era.

Comment

Many of the cars we see on the HAMB are built with a lot of modern versions of "old" stuff....because that's what's easily available, and most guys are lazy. but there are a few that are built with all old stuff. Most are somewhere in between.

But yeah, the HAMB definition of traditional means it looks like cars looked 50+ years ago, which means you can't use parts from modern cars.

The HAMB definition of traditional does not mean installing stuff from late model cars into an old car, just like we used to do. Because the parts in modern late model cars are not the same as parts in 50 years ago late model cars.

Also, you seem to think that all old hot rods were built with no money...that's not the case. The old magazines are full of high dollar builds.
                                mag's have always had big money builds, but that wasn't the majority of peoples. cars.
                                You have your thoughts on it, I have mine. it's all good.
                                My take, with the hobby contracting, no one should be frowning on anyone build, even if those 32 rails have a 2011 2.3 ford 4 banger under the hood and 5 speed from a ranger.

Comment

Working...
                                X