No announcement yet.

Treasure them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

several years ago I sold a Tektronix 4010 terminal (circa 1972) to an airline, so they could have a spare for their archaic flight training system. I got the thing for free, but they paid $500 for it, and thought it was a bargain.

The military has trouble being able to find stuff that will still be in production by the time they get it approved to use....yeah, it's a big problem!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      several years ago I sold a Tektronix 4010 terminal (circa 1972) to an airline, so they could have a spare for their archaic flight training system. I got the thing for free, but they paid $500 for it, and thought it was a bargain.
      The military has trouble being able to find stuff that will still be in production by the time they get it approved to use....yeah, it's a big problem!
      Or opportunity - as you grabbed when you picked up that 'old junk'
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm surprised more people don't use "industrial" laptops like Panasonic Toughbooks or Dell Rugged for tuning on cars. If nothing else they LOOK cool. Expensive by laptop standards, but cheap by car parts standards.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Well, about ten years ago, I married a Mac Info Tech so as soon as my computer went south I bought a Mac Mini. The whole thing was about six inches square & used my old monitor & keyboard. I was impressed. Now you might think that I was just keeping peace in the house but as soon as I accidentally hit the wrong key & the thing does something that I do not want it to do I just say "Hey honey.........." & it is fixed. So the mini went south last spring & technology had already passed it by so it was no longer "supported". Which is code for we would rather sell you a new one than fix the one that you brought in. So I now own a new iMac with the big "old guy" monitor. And it does all that I need it to do which is well, all that I need. On the other hand, I have several old printers that eat ink like it's going out of style if anyone is interested? Since I can't seem to bring myself to just kick them to the curb.
          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I've been using MACs since the mid 1980s and I'm sticking with them until they pry my dead, cold fingers off my 1 button mouse (in interest of full disclosure I actually use a 2 button mouse w/scroll wheel but I was making a point). Anyhow, I love my Mini. We have an independent MAC shop here in town and when my hard drive crapped out they replaced it with a solid state "hard drive" and now it's amazingly fast and the hard drive is expected to live forever. It wasn't a ton of money, either though I can't pull up the price. Anyhow, that's what I'm typing on now. ME has the iMAC w/old person screen and it works well, too.

Dan

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Mac..... except the price. And Minis aren't that bad.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

macs are great, I have one from the mid 90s that I use to play an old shareware game. And we have a couple of over 10 year old ipods that were great, until they quit working, both in the past year. well made stuff. Pricey and proprietary, but easy to use.

But when I have to do something productive, I use a windows computer. My brother has used Macs a lot, but when he has to be productive, he uses a windows machine (something about the lack of engineering application software for macs?)

speaking of old computers with serial ports....IRQs anyone?
                My fabulous web page

Comment

I haven't bought a new cpu for five years...they got to the point of diminishing returns a while ago.
                  Ya, unless you are using a heavy cad software, you don't get much out of the newest /best cpu.
                  I doubt gamers get much from them as the graphics cards have cpu's on them. you'd have to be off the deep end in gaming to need the power most of the cpu's have had for a long while. but the bigger/faster/etc sells things.
                  Heck apple could take the same phone, change the os lay out of apps, and screen graphics, call it the ned number in line of the I phone. and people will stand in line to buy it. while using the perfectly fine one in there hands while waiting for the store doors to open.

Cad work, is becoming more mainstream, and as 3d printers get better, at producing the tiniest of detail. more will be using cad software.

Comment

Most folks doing 3d printing with lower cost printers, aren't really doing serious CAD, that needs the best computer. At least from what I've seen.

Fortunately not being a gamer, I don't have to buy a graphics card...the onboard junk works good enough for me.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

As a non-CIS guy that has to take care of a network of 17+ computers by default (12 Win10pro, 2 Win7pro, and 3 XP pro - 6 are CAD stations) I kinda like the new stuff. I rarely have to do anything or spend time "un-snarling" someone's workstation. I used to have to mess with them fairly regularly. Maybe the users are just better now and don't do as much stupid stuff, I don't know.

We typically buy refurb boxes off Newegg when we need to replace something because we can get them with equipped with stuff like serial ports (necessary for us) and they are typically free from bloatware.
                      Last edited by BBR; December 19, 2018, 07:15 AM.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Most folks doing 3d printing with lower cost printers, aren't really doing serious CAD, that needs the best computer. At least from what I've seen.

Fortunately not being a gamer, I don't have to buy a graphics card...the onboard junk works good enough for me.
                        putting an expensive computer in my dusty shop would be a hard decision. fortunately? the plasma table is just a printer so it just needs to be on the 'network' of my house... the touch screen, solidworks computer stays in the house.
                        that said, the other issue is the one that is what I'm running into now - the computers in my cars, use old tech and updating them isn't something I look forward to doing.

Comment

the only car I have with a computer is the 06 tahoe, and I ignore the computer as much as I can. When it starts giving problems, the car will go.But it probably won't give problems, they seem to be pretty well made, near the end of a model's production.

somehow I continue to resist the urge to put all that stuff in older cars. It's fun to accomplish things today with methods that appear to be magic, to those who grew up with everything computerized
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

have you seen the 3d printer Jay leno has, the plastic and or the metal printing one?
                            or kindigit plastic one.. those are using cad.

Comment

i know they all use CAD, my point is that you need a high zoot CAD computer to make complex things, with lots of subassemblies, etc. But the relatively simple stuff that home Makers typically do, doesn't require a very powerful CAD computer.

My fabulous web page

Comment

the only car I have with a computer is the 06 tahoe, and I ignore the computer as much as I can. When it starts giving problems, the car will go.But it probably won't give problems, they seem to be pretty well made, near the end of a model's production.

somehow I continue to resist the urge to put all that stuff in older cars. It's fun to accomplish things today with methods that appear to be magic, to those who grew up with everything computerized
                                that's the essence of hot rodding - picking something and making it the best you can within the rules you create.

to that point - I think the first step in learning to EFI anything is properly tuning an engine with a carb and points - just like music from a tube-based amp is better then digital (no matter the resolution), understanding the physics behind the magic is the most important thing (yep, my opinion)

I can imagine the day when HAMB has an argument about tube vs. chip authenticity or even 8 bit tuning being a 'thing' .... heck, people still hot rod flatheads, so the basic is there (in no way am I disparaging flatheads, just pointing out the idea that hot rodding can come in many different ways)
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 19, 2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X