Treasure them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh....

The HAMB has a fixed date cutoff, and stated technology "off topic" rules, not a rolling cutoff, so I doubt that'll happen. But you never know! maybe one day a version of the HAMB for more modern hot rods might appear.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      the only car I have with a computer is the 06 tahoe, and I ignore the computer as much as I can. When it starts giving problems, the car will go.But it probably won't give problems, they seem to be pretty well made, near the end of a model's production.

somehow I continue to resist the urge to put all that stuff in older cars. It's fun to accomplish things today with methods that appear to be magic, to those who grew up with everything computerized
      That's why I am so proud of Sean for taking the time to learn about tuning the carb on his 83 S-10....he already has HP Tuners as well as two Snap On diagnostics analyzers, but wants me to teach him the old ways as well....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

the only car I have with a computer is the 06 tahoe, and I ignore the computer as much as I can. When it starts giving problems, the car will go.But it probably won't give problems, they seem to be pretty well made, near the end of a model's production.

somehow I continue to resist the urge to put all that stuff in older cars. It's fun to accomplish things today with methods that appear to be magic, to those who grew up with everything computerized
        Along this line - whatever the heck is computin' in ME's 08 HHR is bulletproof. Probably shouldn't have said this out loud (hope I didn't jinx anything) but I really don't expect any issues if there haven't been any for 180K+ miles. Turn the key and the car works - gotta like that.

Dan

Comment

heh....

The HAMB has a fixed date cutoff, and stated technology "off topic" rules, not a rolling cutoff, so I doubt that'll happen. But you never know! maybe one day a version of the HAMB for more modern hot rods might appear.
          what's new today is going to be what someone else later says "oh that old thing"
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Along this line - whatever the heck is computin' in ME's 08 HHR is bulletproof. Probably shouldn't have said this out loud (hope I didn't jinx anything) but I really don't expect any issues if there haven't been any for 180K+ miles. Turn the key and the car works - gotta like that.

Dan
            OBDII seems to have a longer shelf life then OBDI .... but who knows, I'm sure 10 years from now someone will be whining that they can't get an app for their implanted computer so they can reprogram their old car's computer.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
              Ever had to take the drums off the rear though ! Or for that matter the wheels ? Took a big hand sledge to the back of the wheels and a couple rotations while doing it !
              And the drums ! We had to pry the backing plates back in a couple spots and use my ginormous puller to get them off .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

good thing Dan lives in NC, not Indy!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Ever had to take the drums off the rear though ! Or for that matter the wheels ? Took a big hand sledge to the back of the wheels and a couple rotations while doing it !
                  And the drums ! We had to pry the backing plates back in a couple spots and use my ginormous puller to get them off .
                  I've done that and it wasn't an issue. Took me a while to sort out that weird spring thingy that retracts the shoes but eventually I sorted that out, too. One of those deals where the next time would be dead easy.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

I've learnt to cheat. Any of my vehicles with drums in the rear, meaning all of the older stuff, when I put on drums, either new or put the old ones back on, I have them turned, and the last inner edge turned down 1/16th x1/4"wide. this way that lip that forms on the edge of the drum that you fight to get the shoes off never forms.

Comment

With both drums and rotors, I'll take the 4 1'2" grinder to that outer ring and grind it off. Do they teach you that at UTI - um, no. But it works and is pretty much free - and I don't have to take the part in question to a shop and wait for them. One of many "cheats" I've devised over the years.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X