Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like big trucks........I can not lie .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    I've seen many people doing the C60/topkick/Kodiak trucks and like the idea.... there is one on a 1 ton 4X4 chassis that I see almost daily... as far as the wheels go, here is a good article...: http://dailydieseldose.com/dayton-or...rnal-question/
    I prefer the Dayton style wheels for the availability of options and the ability to go to 20" super single configuration
    Interesting link, particularly the comments.

I have the five-clamps-around-the-rim style on my dump trailer, 14.5's on narrowed mobile-home axles. I can vouch for how they are a bit tricky to get squared up sometimes, can slip and spin as there are only small bumps pressed into the rim to prevent it, and I don't know how you would ever balance them except to try to do it on the axle.

Budd BTW was one of the major industrial stamping and fabricating companies in the 20th century. Studebaker, for one, had a lot of their work done there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Comment

How is that thing going to carry much cargo if just the driver makes it lean like that?

1320 Video
      Click image for larger version

Name:	heavychevy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1225626
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        How is that thing going to carry much cargo if just the driver makes it lean like that?
        Great question, maybe the driver is a great big ole big ole boy. Like, 5 of me. That IS weird.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The guy needs a matching wife to level that load out.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Here's the one I'm in love with at the moment . How could the neighbors not like a fire truck ?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That depends on how well the siren works, of course.

Comment

I saw a show where FantomWorks restored an old fire truck and there is a lot to all that plumbing and pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  I saw a show where FantomWorks restored an old fire truck and there is a lot to all that plumbing and pumps.
                  Yep and if I remember correctly they had to gut that thing all the way down to the chassis just to expose the big water pump to repair/replace it.

Comment

Yup....and those suckers are HEAVY!!!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      Yup....and those suckers are HEAVY!!!
                      Doesn't that fire water pump run off of a PTO? They had me wrote a procedure for the old 1965 model fire truck at work and I think I recall you had to put the transmission in neutral and then do another trick with the engine throttled up to get it to squirt. And it can carry "some" water on board but there's many other valves and hoses if you want it to shoot from a fire hydrant or even a hose thrown into a pond if there's one handy. That's why they had me write the procedure, there was a fire out there beside the pond and when they ran out of "truck water" they thought they were out of water.

Comment

Yes normally run of of a PTO for a mid mount pump....a front pump can be clutched off of a crank driven jack shaft....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'd gut the box on back and use it as lockable hauling space . I'd kind of like to flip houses one of these days and would more or less use it as a box truck .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

just watched this and saw this post.
                            Not to rob it...

dad on xmas day had me drive to the new peterbilt dealer with him to get out of the house I guess...
                            where he bought his current rig.
                            We are looking over a 320 inch wheel base little bunk 359, all metal hood...

and we do get to talking. his 40 years is mine also.

if to start at my beginning, it would be something like that new pete looking like an old pete.
                            the long wheel base for loads unfriendly.

I hope you do get the old oddball.. big gas engine vacuum switched two speed rear end and windshield wipers using the same.
                            never much thought for passengers. I'd be doing it not out of admiration, but to have the comfortable seat.
                            my control.
                            my destination.
                            Never admitting I am a younger guy just starting off.. but riding away my dads 40 years instead. They are mine too.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 26, 2018, 11:36 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

What got me liking 2 ton trucks is when I was 15 years old my d as d borrowed a 70s F600 from a friend and we hauled all our belongings in big crates from central Ky to the port of Miami to ship our stuff down to the west indies . It was a great trip there and back and that 4speed and 2speed rear were a blast to watch hear and feel .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                                What got me liking 2 ton trucks is when I was 15 years old my d as d borrowed a 70s F600 from a friend and we hauled all our belongings in big crates from central Ky to the port of Miami to ship our stuff down to the west indies . It was a great trip there and back and that 4speed and 2speed rear were a blast to watch hear and feel .
                                and seeing girls on the beach in bikinis in Florida...
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X