Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think the tune-up on the daily driver was due about a year or more ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the tune-up on the daily driver was due about a year or more ago.

The cap and rotor were hideous.It always surprises me that things even run in this condition.
    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Oh. And whatever genius at GM decided that self tapping Torx head screws were a bright idea for the cap ought to be slapped silly. Although the crab style cap is kind of cool... so I guess they did get it half right.
    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

I had a 318 Dakota - great truck. It got up around 120K and was farting and almost wouldn't start. The little lightbulb over my head light up and I thought maybe I should start with a tune up though I was imagining all sorts of issues (flat cam, etc.). As I dug into it I found that everything was OEM (I bought it used so I had no clue what had been done). Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters and VIOLA! it ran like new again. The plug gaps could have been measured with a ruler. All this to add to your comment that you were surprised that yours still ran. Evidently modern engines with their nifty electronics will run pretty much no matter what unless the 'puter dies.

Dan

Comment

Just gotta love those composite bodied distributors on the L31 and 4.3 motors.... We bought aluminum ones on Ebay.... Then, drilled and tapped for machine screws with loc-tite... have done a few 100k+tune ups in past years,,, to the point where i've broken rotors trying to pry them off because they were corroded on....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

hmmm....we've finally got to the point that all our "late models" have distributorless ignition. No more caps, rotors, etc.

Remove the spark plugs at 100k, put some anti seize on the threads, put them back in. That's what a tune up consists of today.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            hmmm....we've finally got to the point that all our "late models" have distributorless ignition. No more caps, rotors, etc.

Remove the spark plugs at 100k, put some anti seize on the threads, put them back in. That's what a tune up consists of today.
            A)Fuel filter
            B)air filter
            C)PCV valve
            D) t/b cleaning
            E)injector cleaning
            F)plug wires, and/or coils
            G)o2 sensors
            H)coolant service
            I)transmission fluid service
            J)timing belt /chain and /or tensioners

There is a tad more to it than swapping out plugs. well that is if you plan on doing it correctly. That is. at 100k
            YMMV.
            Last edited by Eric; January 12, 2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

There is a tad more to it than swapping out plugs. well that is if you plan on doing it correctly. That is. at 100k
              YMMV.
              I paid the local Ford dealership $900 to change Red's spark plugs and replace the coolant at 100K miles. At my level of expertise, I knew better than to even try it. I'd done the research. Those 2006 OEM spark plugs break off. They even sell a Mustang Broken Off Spark Plug Removal Tool Kit at a premium. No, not me. And don't let any of those broken off pieces fall down into the cylinder. Nope, that's ransom well paid as far as I'm concerned.

And after that I ended up changing Red's coolant again myself after putting the blower on him. But I'm still afraid of those spark plugs Stay away from them. And Bubba the Truck has the same exact engine block. And he's a bit over 100K miles. My plan is to run him to failure and call AAA from the side of the road and have them drag him to the Ford place to change the spark plugs.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

No idea what Ford was thinking when they decided they build a better mouse trap, a.k.a. spark plug. to easy to keep them the same I guess.
                Another better idea.

Comment

very close, wife's JoKe, pull coils, replace plugs, pull pcv, replace. Of course, because it's new it actually goes "remove entire top of motor, replace plugs" "get skinny, long-armed kid to remove the pcv that's bolted to the back of the passenger side valve cover".... I ever mention I'm not a fan of Jeeps?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    .... I ever mention I'm not a fan of Jeeps?
                    Can we quote you on that? I think we just did.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

A)Fuel filter
                      B)air filter
                      C)PCV valve
                      D) t/b cleaning
                      E)injector cleaning
                      F)plug wires, and/or coils
                      G)o2 sensors
                      H)coolant service
                      I)transmission fluid service
                      J)timing belt /chain and /or tensioners

YMMV.
                      The fluids maintenance has never been part of a "tune up", as I've seen it. And the modern cars we have don't have that stupid timing belt crap, that's so 1980s/90, like distributors. They've even done away with fuel filters on many of them. Air filters last forever, if you're not driving long dusty roads all day. There just isn't much to do on these things, except change the oil when the light comes on, and keep the fuel range above zero, and keep the tire pressure sensors happy.

Last edited by squirrel; January 13, 2019, 07:46 AM.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        Bubba the Truck has the same exact engine block. And he's a bit over 100K miles. My plan is to run him to failure and call AAA from the side of the road and have them drag him to the Ford place to change the spark plugs.
                        Find a time and drive Bubba to Fancy Gap. (BTW - there's a good Red Roof in the next town so you don't have to stay in that nasty one). Victor and Brian did some repairs on Vanna the Van and changed the plugs while they were in there. Brian has all the nifty tools to fix it if the plug threads come out so they'll have you covered either way. And I'll wager it won't cost $900, either. No sense getting raped at the dealership, especially now that you're retired.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; January 13, 2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          No sense getting raped at the dealership, especially now that you're retired.

Dan
                          Hmmmm..... that's a good lick. We're due a visit and it's our turn, twice over. But we sure won't go today, Bubba's a capable little beast but he's no sled.

Comment

If you have not seen this thread, prepare to laugh and truly be scared of other cars on the road.

Comment

The fluids maintenance has never been part of a "tune up", as I've seen it. And the modern cars we have don't have that stupid timing belt crap, that's so 1980s/90, like distributors. They've even done away with fuel filters on many of them. Air filters last forever, if you're not driving long dusty roads all day. There just isn't much to do on these things, except change the oil when the light comes on, and keep the fuel range above zero, and keep the tire pressure sensors happy.

if you say so.
                              Just because they make the filter hard for the vehicle owner to change doesn't mean there isn't one.
                              And with plugs lasting 100k, and coolant and transmissions fluid changes listed as 100k service.
                              Air filters don't stay clean here in Brazil . maybe where you are they do.
                              Again, ymmv.
                              Last edited by Eric; January 13, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X