Most convenient breakdown ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most convenient breakdown ever

So, to preface this, I just drove my 72 GMC to Pagosa Springs and back for New Years, put 1800 miles on her and got back on the 2nd. I woke up late today, and was planning on hitting up a junkyard with a buddy (I need to figure out what I need for my sway bar), so I had dressed in black clothes to work in. Never heard back from him, so I just went to my storage unit for some stuff. One of the boxes I grabbed because it had the new headlight bezels I hadn't gotten around to installing before deployment as well as a few other parts, like a new Holley mechanical fuel pump. On the way back, the truck dies and won't start while I'm stuck in the turn lane to hop on the interstate. After a few minutes of troubleshooting, I put her in neutral and slowly coast down to the parking lot at a Best Buy, because I was on a slight downhill, thank God. Well, there also happens to be an O'Reilly's across the street. Didn't take long to figure out that my fuel pump had failed. Just some fittings, hose, and grease for the pushrod and I was back on the road. Also managed to fix my exhaust leak, and confirmed that I now have a sticky lifter, which is really annoying, since I just had my intake gaskets replaced and didn't want to take my manifold off againClick image for larger version

Name:	49764840_2285579391454595_5273454682474283008_o.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1226899
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Yeah , you can't beat already having bought the repair part and having it eith you when you break down !
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Perfect imperfection!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        Yeah , you can't beat already having bought the repair part and having it eith you when you break down !
        Yeah, I am not usually that lucky.

Comment

glad you got lucky
          mechanical pumps.. I used to keep brand new in the trunk. New for no odors.
          an awesome thing with them pumps, they will work at 25 below whether they like it or not.. but you are not at home when it decides to fail.

I have 12psi modern electric cramming an old rochester on my subaru. it loses 1 point to be lean all winter.
          I get in my truck after a half whirl start wait five minutes for heat and thank god for fuel injection.

even my truck is setup to pluck a pump out at anytime.. there is a lid in the bed.

To this day, even with the pump setups that last 20 years and still gain complaints by a ninny.. I have a full spare in the original box. lid and all. brand new for no odors. Sending unit and all.. one piece drop it in.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X