What I've been up to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I've been up to...

Hey guys, long time since I checked in with Chad and the BangShift Boys, thought I'd catch up.

Finally restored Ingenue and got her up and running as a full-fledged nitro-burning cackle car.
    We did many events last year including being invited to represent the Funny Car class at the Concours of America at the St. John Inn in Plymouth,MI along with 7 other stellar early Funnies...it was a blast. We also attended the HRM / In N Out 70th Anniversary bash in Pomona.

This year, we are invited to attend the prestigious Amelia Island Concours d' Elegance in FL come March, then displayed at the 50th Anniversary of the Gatornationals, then it's off the Don Garlits museum for a 1-2 month display before all the action starts heating up, we plan on basing the car in Virginia next year and running up and down the east coast.

I also just purchased the Billy Lynch dragster and Mr. Ed's trailer which is headed west as we speak. This is the last car that famed builder Pat Foster build before he passed.
    This rig was built as one of the best examples of it's kind and I'm damn proud to own it and to be able to bring her to California and re-unite her with Ingenue...both cars Candy Apple Red with Gold Leaf lettering, both cars say "Brooklyn" on them, my birthplace so it all really seems right.

This year we burn nitro from coast to coast...and lots of it. Hope to see some of you peeps at an event near you.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bfc2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	1227234Click image for larger version

Name:	ingenue hagerty 1a.jpg
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	1227235
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ingenue j proctor 4.jpg
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	1227237
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

This is just SO excellent! When the time comes please post your schedule. We don't have a strip here in Wilmington but there's a nice little track in Jacksonville, NC (Coastal Plains Raceway) and I think they do a show from time to time. Of course there's always the track in Charlotte so that might work, too. Anyhow, if you get anywhere near me I'll be there - I'd LOVE to meet Ingenue being an old Buick mechanic (once upon a time......).

Dan

Comment

Pretty neat!!!
          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Outstanding.

Comment

Buick!

Comment

Cackling a car seems like great fun. Aside from the concern that a fuel engine is a potential bomb. How much of a "load" do you need for a respectable bark? Then how long does it take for the oil to turn into milky moo needing changing?
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  Cackling a car seems like great fun. Aside from the concern that a fuel engine is a potential bomb. How much of a "load" do you need for a respectable bark? Then how long does it take for the oil to turn into milky moo needing changing?
                  The Buick only runs about 35%, just enough to hear and smell when we switch the pump...it'll make you cry for sure.
                  Not much flames due to the long pipes but she barks pretty good, the block is rock-block filled so no water jackets.

We can run it 2-4 times per weekend then dump the oil, it looks like a milkshake for sure, but we changed fuel pumps from a 17/gallon per minute to a 7/gpm since we're not racing the thing, so lot's less fuel being washed down the cylinders. We had Joel Gruzen put the super tune on her at Pomona and she barks good...if I can figure out how to load video's I will.

Now the dragster is a whole nuther ball game, the 392 will burn between 88-92% nitro and will thump. This will be a learning curve for sure but there's lot's of help here in California to set me on the right path. This car will require lots more maintenance then the FC.

I will plan a full schedule soon, I know we'll do the Virginia Nationals May 19th since we'll base the car there and the GS Nationals as well as the Bowling Green deal, still working through that.

My late dad Jerry built this funny car along with Steve Malise at their speed shop Brooklyn, Speed & Machine in NY in '67 when I was just 10, I saw it run for the very first time, May 21,1967 against Doug Nash in the Bronco Buster II.
                  I am fortunate enough to own dad's last dragster he ever built, a 8-71 blown 426 Hemi AA/GD, 168" wheelbase. This car needs a complete restoration but is currently on the back burner...someday,hopefully,maybe.

Comment

MORE excellent stuff!

Dan

Comment

Comment

Nice car! Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I still don't really get the point of "cackling" though. Sort of like grandmas pole dancing in their Sunday best.

DISCLAIMER: Pole dancing is generally sexist, exploitative, not family-friendly, and if done correctly, improperly appeals to the prurient interests. I don't support it. But it seemed sort of analogous to a non-racing race car . . . .

Comment

Cackle cars are fun because history is more interesting when it can blow the hat off your head if you get too close. My only concern is the "just for fun" part when nitromethane is SO very serious.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                          X