It's big. Not C50 big though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's big. Not C50 big though

Well , I decided the C50 was just too big right now so it was a C30 cab and straight commercial chassis with a flat bed or a 4x4 Suburban. Today I Bought a GMC ' Suburban Assault vehicle .Well I went with most peoples advice and went with a SBC ( mainly cause one wasn't in my price range ) and a I got a half ton with 3/4 ton springs . It was cheap but it has a few issues . It has a 6 inch lift with 35 ×12.50 × 15 tires on some kind of aftermarket wheel that is simple and I like them . Compared to the vette as nd the wifes acura it seems as big and tall as a school bus .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 12, 2019, 11:46 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

I love mine, hopes yours treats you as well as mine does
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Nice! Cool to get to play in the fresh snow!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My second ex-wife bought an Expedition, the first year they came out. What was it, 1998? She decided she didn't like me after all. She hated everybody, everything, and she finally decided she didn't like me, either. I was the last thing to go. But I sure do miss that Expedition.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'd think you'd like that a lot. Yes with the SBC, at-least when you're revving it out to get up a hill it won't sound like you're killing something! Those very-positive-offset wheels will give you grief with the independent front suspension, such as wobble under certain conditions and pulling the steering around on rough pavement, maybe watch for something closer to factory offset on CL. Otherwise, the IFS on those is a nice deal, drives much better for all-around than the previous-gen.

Comment

it's already rusty, so you don't have to worry about the body! nice.

Looks like fun, enjoy it
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

How much work did they have to do to put the 2500 springs under the back of it? Been considering putting 1500 leafs on the back of my 2500 and then adding air bags to keep the load capacity up. I find the rear a bit too stiffly sprung for when I'm using it for it's 8+driver capacity but don't want to loose the towing.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                I'd think you'd like that a lot. Yes with the SBC, at-least when you're revving it out to get up a hill it won't sound like you're killing something! Those very-positive-offset wheels will give you grief with the independent front suspension, such as wobble under certain conditions and pulling the steering around on rough pavement, maybe watch for something closer to factory offset on CL. Otherwise, the IFS on those is a nice deal, drives much better for all-around than the previous-gen.
                This thing needs axles in the front because of the lift . It very much handles like a old school bus at this point . I figure I will change the axles once . The next time after that it will get a ford solid axle in the front . For the bias ply Micky Thompsons on it I was surprised how they didn't jerk me around on uneven road and gaps between lanes .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                  How much work did they have to do to put the 2500 springs under the back of it? Been considering putting 1500 leafs on the back of my 2500 and then adding air bags to keep the load capacity up. I find the rear a bit too stiffly sprung for when I'm using it for it's 8+driver capacity but don't want to loose the towing.
                  I didn't really ask as he was probably mentioning it as a selling point and I didn't really care . I probably would be happier most the time with half ton springs as well .I think the frame is the same so it probably wasn't that big of a deal . Yes it is stiff . It reminds me a lot of driving a school / church bus .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I love the gmt 400
                    I see this one was left alone with factory front end. I like that most of these bodies.
                    A solid axle dodge lover tends to have their way with them sometimes

I went nerd on electrical since my serious time with a kc135..and old subaru
                    These trucks are a dream,. Even the alternator thinks

time for some LED swapping!
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                      What I did... 77 chev SWB 4X4 half ton, installed Step Van rear springs. Bolt on.. If memory serves, slight bending to get bolts in..
                      Front got crew cab one ton springs.. Bolt on.

Me? I'd remove a long leaf in your 3/4 ton pack and maybe a short one.. Not the thick overload one tho..
                      Buy the spring bolts for the center.

For derby use, straight springs is desireable thus we alternate which way they curve. And "home made" locating pins break or shear

Comment

Bob , I can't believe I forgot about doing that to a S10 to soften the ride .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I saw suburban with a dually rear end yesterday.

Comment

A friend has had a couple , last one was this style .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Found some features that are pretty cool . Found these grab handles on the A pillar to slow my descent to earth to an acceptable level and a reese type hitch in the back and a Meyer snow plow mount in the front .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X