Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes

It's cold, it's wet, it's wintertime. I'm bored out of my skull. Can't think of anything better to do than to watch Red's 152.8 mph run at Arkansas from September. That was a life moment, a trophy of sorts. Why not? I've got the in-car video, I can re-live it again and again.

That was not even "fast" in land speed terms. But faster than most folks ever get to, going back and forth to work. There's one thing about it, when you go through the time trap going fast, you're not stopping anytime soon. That speed, the momentum, inertia, the weight of the car.....

Red's rigged up with brakes, real brakes. Road course brakes. Red will stop a whole lot faster than he will "go." Which is a great thing, going 150 and just waiting for the turnoff to happen after the time trap. Tap tap tap the brakes, a little bit, okay we're there. Turn right. I don't know what I'm trying to say, really. Brakes are the other side of hotrodding. They are underrated. Brakes rock, but horsepower gets all of the attention.
    Last edited by pdub; January 14, 2019, 03:50 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Brake pR0n:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brakes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	1227435

For stopping 5,000lbs+ from 200mph .....
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; January 14, 2019, 03:19 AM.

Comment

In Germany this week on business; hand-carried a front disc brake / power booster conversion kit for a 71 Torino with me for a colleague .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	www.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1227438

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB15093P-DB15102P-Large.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	1227439

Comment

Brakes should be the first thing to fix on ANY car - hot rod, or not. That way you can go fast more than once....
        Last edited by studemax; January 14, 2019, 07:24 AM.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Brakes should be the first thing to fix on ANY car - hot rod, or not. That way you can go fast more than once....
          For me it was not a "fix," it was absolutely required on road courses when I was doing that. I saw that the first time out - BRAKES. At Atlanta Mortorsports Park, the Miatas pass the Corvettes. Brakes, not horsepower. BUT I found out later on, there's a place for horsepower, too. You've got to have it all. Depending on the size of your checkbook of course, and how bad you actually want it. And to repeat, how bad you actually want it. Addiction of all kinds comes in lots of different levels.

Comment

First thing I'm putting on the Impala is a big brake package on the front, if or when I get it back.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I'll say it: Brakes are not the first thing of importance on a car.

Doesn't make one whit of difference how much stopping force you have at the wheel if you don't have traction against the ground.

Tires are the most important thing to start with. Especially true with newer cars now coming equipped with horrible garbage fuel-saver tires that have the same effective friction coefficent as wet banana peels.

I could make an argument for good lights too--no point in being able to stop fast if you can't see what you're trying not to hit. First thing any car does when it comes home is get the headlights aimed at minimum, and probably replaced as a matter of course--along with fresh windshield wipers (probably less of an issue if you buy cars new; I don't).

I'm right there with you as far as the woah before the go, though.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                First thing I'm putting on the Impala is a big brake package on the front, if or when I get it back.
                Back from WHERE Perry? ......

Comment

Brakes make it easier to go deep into corners. Granted. However I still maintain you never know how deep you can go until you go too deep. Road racing is a matter of almost crashing with a bunch of guys doing the exact same thing all around you.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Brakes make it easier to go deep into corners. Granted. However I still maintain you never know how deep you can go until you go too deep. Road racing is a matter of almost crashing with a bunch of guys doing the exact same thing all around you.
                    That's it alright, perfectly stated. And it was complicated by the fact that I had to drive the car back home, that's how I got there to begin with. So, as slow as Red is, I probably left some on the table at the track.

Comment

I never ran off except for at AMP. That place is one giant curve. They call that sort of track "technical." There's a straightaway, if you can call it that, to the flagstand. By golly, this is a racetrack and I'm on it, I'm gonna see 100 mph on this straightaway. Okay, go ahead. Now, slow down for Turn 1. Sand pit. I got my money's worth that day. Yep. Tour de Sand. You can actually drive out of that as long as you keep the wheels spinning and turning. Don't stop. If you stop, the race stops.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Bawdee shawp!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                          I'll say it: Brakes are not the first thing of importance on a car.

Doesn't make one whit of difference how much stopping force you have at the wheel if you don't have traction against the ground.

Tires are the most important thing to start with. Especially true with newer cars now coming equipped with horrible garbage fuel-saver tires that have the same effective friction coefficent as wet banana peels.

I could make an argument for good lights too--no point in being able to stop fast if you can't see what you're trying not to hit. First thing any car does when it comes home is get the headlights aimed at minimum, and probably replaced as a matter of course--along with fresh windshield wipers (probably less of an issue if you buy cars new; I don't).

I'm right there with you as far as the woah before the go, though.
                          Also bike tires make the bike more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            Body shop purgatory
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Problem is most don't know what the hell they are doing.
                              They'll spend 1200-4000+ on new bigger brakes for the front. great.
                              When that guy that has a 12" platter and an upgraded 2 piston , but took the time to science out the removal of heat, can go deeper into a corner, and stop harder. you'll go. WTF.
                              To many throw parts at a problem without even understanding the issue in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X