Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Also bike tires make the bike more fun!
    I may be biased.... I'm used to changing the rear tire on the bikes with each oil change. At least on a car, I can get more like 10k out of a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      Problem is most don't know what the hell they are doing.
      They'll spend 1200-4000+ on new bigger brakes for the front. great.
      When that guy that has a 12" platter and an upgraded 2 piston , but took the time to science out the removal of heat, can go deeper into a corner, and stop harder. you'll go. WTF.
      To many throw parts at a problem without even understanding the issue in the first place.
      When I put those Stop Tech Big Brakes on the front of Red, they came with "pads." Some kind of dust-free street compound. I went out there and romped the brakes and was hugely disappointed. Over $2k for brakes and they don't stop any bit better than the stock ones did. I was pissed. I don't want "pretty," I want STOP. So then I started experimenting with different compounds, HAWK. Yeah, there it is.

You can even run a track-only compound on the street. They WILL stop the car even if they're not red-hot. But they squeal like a garbage truck played through a 1000-watt amplifier turned wide open. If it's obnoxiously loud inside the car with the windows rolled up, you know those poor folks on the sidewalk holding their ears are not just play-acting.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

When I put those Stop Tech Big Brakes on the front of Red, they came with "pads." Some kind of dust-free street compound. I went out there and romped the brakes and was hugely disappointed. Over $2k for brakes and they don't stop any bit better than the stock ones did. I was pissed. I don't want "pretty," I want STOP. So then I started experimenting with different compounds, HAWK. Yeah, there it is.

You can even run a track-only compound on the street. They WILL stop the car even if they're not red-hot. But they squeal like a garbage truck played through a 1000-watt amplifier turned wide open. If it's obnoxiously loud inside the car with the windows rolled up, you know those poor folks on the sidewalk holding their ears are not just play-acting.
        But did you bother to put ducts to get air to them, to cool, and suck air away to get the hot air out?
        most don't NEED bigger brakes, or the flashy drilled rotors.
        They just need heat management.

Comment

But did you bother to put ducts to get air to them, to cool, and suck air away to get the hot air out?
          Yes, there's a Steeda cooling hose kit on the front.

Comment

Yes, there's a Steeda cooling hose kit on the front.
            cool.

Comment

cool.
              Those front hoses were perhaps overkill. With the 14 inch rotors and the hoses, those front ones barely even warmed up on the brake-eatingest track of all. But it seemed to make the BACK brakes mad, and I never solved that issue and now I'll never need to solve it. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Comment

Interesting we should be on this subject. This morning we took Red to the Ford place for his air bag recall. We were driving away in Bluebelle and I looked over and saw the mechanic standing beside Red with the key in his hand. Just standing there, looking straight staring at the front brake caliper. Like, wait, I don't think this thing is stock. I smiled. Just wait till he cranks it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post

I may be biased.... I'm used to changing the rear tire on the bikes with each oil change. At least on a car, I can get more like 10k out of a set.
                  I can't .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ba53dbd2e980fc341fec5b268ff0da99.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1227627

Comment

Just wait till he cranks it.
                    Just wait until he brings it back with the bags popped, the brakes smoking, and the rear meats burnt down to the rims . . . .

Comment

Those front hoses were perhaps overkill. With the 14 inch rotors and the hoses, those front ones barely even warmed up on the brake-eatingest track of all. But it seemed to make the BACK brakes mad, and I never solved that issue and now I'll never need to solve it. All dressed up and nowhere to go.
                      That is part of why many use small fans in the ducts. or ride the brakes while putting heat in them and the tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Just wait until he brings it back with the bags popped, the brakes smoking, and the rear meats burnt down to the rims . . . .
                        Red won't do all of that. Although I've seen plenty of brake smoke from the right rear numerous times. Not what you WANT to see, that's when it's time to go back home. Again.

In all that I've been able to gather in theory, hotrods have 500 or more horsepower. Some kind of imaginary line in the sand. Red dyno-ed at 432 hp at the wheels after the blower installation, and then you run that through the entirely imaginary horsepower calculator to end up with a theoretical and imaginary 501 hp at the crank. Imaginary, but close enough for me. I have an imaginary hotrod, 2 imaginary horsepower up from being just a "sports car."

Comment

Do you need some sort of rear brake cooling system P-dub????Just try to think up some sort of duct to pick up cooler air with a couple of small duct fans to push air at the rear calipers/rotors... My guess is that someone here could figure what you would need, possibly from someplace like that Roush speed shop in Mooresville? I just do not have the expertise required for that custom fit mods.... I can locate a lot of the general needs, but that is far easier than putting my ideas to the web clear enough to apply....
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            Do you need some sort of rear brake cooling system P-dub????
                            No, I don't need a thing, I'm not road coursing anymore. And it was only at that one danged track. The other tracks posed no problem. If I get into brake fluid blow-by on the street, y'all will have already seen me on the national news, outrunning all of the fastest cop cars they have. And not on the interstate, I mean through neighborhoods, violent braking and turning. And hoping a baby is not crawling across the street when we all come through there flashing and howling and wailing.

My first time ever on a road course I was overwhelmed by the fact that nobody will EVER drive a car at this level on the street, you simply never get the chance to. It's intense. And it'll make you aware of what a car will actually do after puttering around all of your life. 95% of the time, the car, any car, is much more capable than the driver.

Comment

But, going to the start of this, I still intend on upping the bullet's brakes as you almost can't overdo it on brakes! I have experience brake fade and do NOT like it!!
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Pdub....PM sent....
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X