Patina, BARF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patina, BARF!

Is anybody else tired of body panels that look like an ass was wiped on them yet?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

there's a bit difference between panels that look like an ass wiped on them, and panels that an ass actually wiped on them. The real ones, are fine with me. The fake ones, ugh.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Never been a fan of most of them. I do like the faded paint originals with little or none of the faded primer though. Back when the new Camaro's first came out someone patined one up for display on the HRPT manufacturers midway. Did nothing for me.
      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I'm on record as hating patina, natural or fake. My tastes haven't changed. Learn to paint! (I know Squirrel can and does......)

Dan

Comment

I leave the finish on the LeMons Rally cars alone, don't even wash them usually. Not that the crappy paint looks good, but hey, it's a piece of crap, it only has to run, not look good.

When I'm building a traditional car, yeah, it needs paint eventually. Primer is ok for a while, though.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

I submit that it may be wintertime. It's cold,it's wet, it gets dark early, it leads to an induced state of anger and depression. Waiting to go do something again. Just sayin.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Patina, real patina, doesn't bother me. Now that said, I don't care for the "fake patina" much. Paint is good and my stuff is painted, but if I found a good solid vehicle that I wanted and it had faded paint and some surface rust showing through, I might just clear coat it drive it.

Comment

Clear coating it, is just about as bad as "fake patina". It sure doesn't look like an old car, it looks like ass.

But good old natural age is just fine.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Rock I actually agree with you on a lot of stuff, and have hated "patina" for a long time. However in the past year or so I've had a relative of my wife be so proud of his original-patina mid-sixties VW van (he's part of a group into that), and an old friend get a '62-or-so Bug (go figure) with light rust all over but otherwise be really nice and he's so happy with it, I can't say that something that makes someone else satisfied should annoy me. In each case these cars are covered/protected so the stuff doesn't get worse.

Oh hell, who am I fooling. I'll never like rust. But, whatever floats one's boat.
                  Last edited by Loren; January 24, 2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I don't like rust, but if I have a car that would still worth less than I paid for it if I fixed the rust, I sure as hell ain't gonna fix the rust.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I never understood this fad. It is like the people in area's that metal doesn't rust, just mooning everyone else.
                      Everyone that has to deal with rust would never EVER allow anything they cared about get to looking like that, never mind copying the look, and making the panels have rust on them.
                      Worse is when you know what automotive paint cost and people spend the funds only to sand it almost all off.
                      I just don't understand this stupidity.. Now I can understand wanting the look, of an aged vehicle, if you are going for that old shop truck type theme and wrapping the vehicle after painting or at least sealing the metal with sealer to protected it. but Then they destroy the theme by removing the dents, making the gaps to perfect. and then clearing over it.
                      Worse is when they put old signage on, and get the fonts wrong and the phone #'s wrong, or my favorite. It has fill in the blankdot com at the bottom of the signage lettering.

The cool patina vehicles are the ones that the owner took it out of a field/junkyard/someone's yard or barn, got it running, and fixed the brakes, put new tires on it because the ones on it were not safe anymore. and now are driving it. it has the factory engine/trans/etc. the chassis is factory. and they did not detail it. it is as nasty as the paint on the panels. The interior is shot, and not detailed. might have a blanket on the seat to keep the springs out of your behind. but that is it.

But that isn't what this trend/fad is. they powdercoat the chassis, put it in air, repower the vehicle, redo the interior and if the vehicles aging paint wasn't there. they'll fix the gaps, the dents. cuz nothing say's old patina vehicle like new weather stripping .

The topper is not one ,not one spot of lacquer paint checking/crazing/ spider cracking.
                      I guess you can keep and allow panels to keep rusting when they'll keep popping out new replacements, still think it is a stupid fad.
                      The guy/gals that pull an old p.o.s. out of the field/yard/barn and gets get it running and make it safe and then drive the wheels off it. AWESOME. The posers. you're as bad as those that use autotune/protools.
                      Last edited by Eric; January 25, 2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        I don't like rust, but if I have a car that would still worth less than I paid for it if I fixed the rust, I sure as hell ain't gonna fix the rust.
                        Do they really rust where you are at?? or is it just a coating of oxide dust.

Comment

I love old cars and trucks . I like them pretty mostly but I do like them with faded and heavily wore paint . I do not like rust . Not even surface rust on the body . My old truck I love it but those rusty spots are going to be addressed this summer with my little sand blaster and a little body work to the small couple of small dents . I will try to match the paint as much as possible. I'm not repainting the whole truck . But if I do it will be drab olive or desert sand tan .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

Do they really rust where you are at?? or is it just a coating of oxide dust.
                            Most old cars didn't start out in Arizona, did they? This one came from California the previous decade...

Roadkill - It's Automotive Chaos Theory! David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan are two guys behaving badly with cars.

But yeah, in the dry southwest, the sun eats up the weatherstripping, and water gets in, and rots out the quarters and floors.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

I like mine. I don't have funds for paint anyway!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8080.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1228710
                              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                              79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                              X