No announcement yet.

Patina, BARF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old timer once told me..........."Painters hate the grease & mechanics hate the dust". I used to have a custom motorcycle shop & I painted frames, gas tanks, fenders, etc. I enjoyed learning & doing a good job. But I am way too picky to do anything bigger. It would drive me crazy. I will stick with the wrenches.
    Last edited by 67 Malibu; January 25, 2019, 05:57 PM.
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

the funny thing is that all the guys I know who are retired and have all the time in the world, don't do their own paint and bodywork (except one). They all cough up 10k to have someone else do a nicer job of it than I would.

Seems the working stiffs are mostly the guys doing the work on their own cars, at home. Back when I worked 40 hrs a week, and spent almost half those weeks on the road, I managed to do bodywork on and paint a few cars at home. But we didn't have the internets to steal our time from us, back then
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        the funny thing is that all the guys I know who are retired and have all the time in the world, don't do their own paint and bodywork (except one). They all cough up 10k to have someone else do a nicer job of it than I would.

Seems the working stiffs are mostly the guys doing the work on their own cars, at home. Back when I worked 40 hrs a week, and spent almost half those weeks on the road, I managed to do bodywork on and paint a few cars at home. But we didn't have the internets to steal our time from us, back then
        You're 55 looks awesome if you painted it good job.

I think most don't do paint/body as it takes patience, and lots of it. to spray on. sealer, then primer, then sand, then spray more primer on, the sand, and again and again.etc.
        Not everyone has an air compressor and live in a neighborhood that neighbors will look the other way .as you are making dust and wet sanding mess. or painting and the candy smell and overspray. working over(blowing over) to their yard/things.
        Another part, is the fear of never doing it, and after you go to an autobody supply and pick out the color you like .and then figure out about how much in materials you'll need and are told the cost , many. think twice about try'n it themselves.
        A grand in sealer/primer ,color coat and clear. will make you question your ability of doing the job.Yes I know you can get cheaper paint, but if you are going to invest the time and labor to get the body work straight, you're not going to skip out on the paint.
        And second guess yourself on chancing doing it yourself only to have to strip it off, and then do it again. or then pay someone else.
        After helping on 2 vehicles with my dad. I know I don't have the patience for it. at least not the level he required.
        Maybe a scuff, and shot, 20 footer. but the stray/sand/spray/sand/spray/sand. just isn't my thing.
        I am glad I got to learn by helping him. on those two full repaints, down no metal. and a few crash repairs.
        As now I'll be able to do it, cause I'd never be able to pay someone else to do it.
        If I do my paint work ,
        It'll be do some and walk away for a few, and go back the next day and do a little more,
        My dad can spend a whole day, spraying/sanding. and still have a smile on his face. Me I want to throw tools.
        It's not for everybody, that is for sure.
        Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; January 25, 2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

The 88 f-150 we painted of mine, we painted tutone. red metallic and a metallic charcoal.
          The pint of red base, was over 100.00 and that was in 1997-98 . then you need the reducer and hardner.
          The gloss clear (DuPont) was 140.00 a gallon. with hardner.
          The charcoal was 55 a pint.
          Color choice makes a huge difference in what the paint will cost.
          Reds being the most costly.
          With sealer/primer/sandpaper (d/a and sheets) paper and tape/tac cloths/ etc. it was close to 800.00 and that was in 97-98
          His 84 f-150 tutone, blue candy and white with blue peril was double in paint cost. same with his olds. The candy red paint was silly $$. the g.m. code 14 (black metallic) was not much. but then he added flake to it.(base color) and then flake into the 1st coat of clear. it took a few extra coats to bury the flake. Man did that car look awesome.
          That car we took down to metal. it took 3 weeks of both of us, after he closed the bay doors. a few hours a night to paint this car. I wasn't much help at 13 year old. but. We'd work 2 hours then go home. I now understand why, by 7pm the traffic was gone and it didn't take 90 minutes to get home.
          Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; January 25, 2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Thank-you for the thoughtful, interesting post -James-. It is not for everybody, yes. My whole thing was finding out how much it was going to cost to have my car painted, realizing how much of that was labor then waking up the next morning going ...???...hey, my labor ain't worth squat, why is theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

You're 55 looks awesome if you painted it good job.
              thanks!

I had a friend spray color on my 55, but I did the rest. I sold the car a couple years ago.

Recent cars that I painted myself, after that friend moved away....my 57 Suburban, my Chevy II, and last year, my Barracuda. Lots of work on all of them, hours and hours of sanding...but nothing fancy for paint, just Nason acrylic enamel. They all ended up looking a lot better than the "patina" that I started with. But not the level of quality that most folks seem to demand these days.

Knowing how much work it takes to get just a half decent paint job, I can totally understand the motivation to leave it alone and do nothing. But the thing about working hard to make a car look like you didn't do anything to it...I don't get that.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
              X