I love Junior Dragsters BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Junior Dragsters BUT

Do we REALLY need them at big events? They're a great grassroots part of the sport. Can't we keep them at grassroot weekly events? Why should the big kids have to drop what they are doing so the little kids can play? Maybe let them run the dry lane during track cleanups? Maybe as a threat to slow lane call response? "Pro Mod to lane 3 in 10 minutes or we make everyone watch Junior Dragsters".
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I've lived next door to a couple of Jr. Dragster parents over the years. They had more in their whole rigs (truck, trailer, custom-painted Jr. Dragster, pro-built lawnmower mill, golf cart**, uniforms, etc) than I've had in competing with an actual full-scale car!

I doubt that the Jr. program really sucks up that much track time. But they undoubtedly contribute to some revenue at the pit gate and maybe a few extra ticket sales for extended families. But mostly it seems like another way for the "haves" and "insiders" to show off

I've also heard a fan or two say "they're so cute" when the Jrs hit the track during an intermission in a "big" show. .

-----------------

** Personally I hate all that $$$$$$ golf cart/enclosed trailer/toterhome crap that so many sportsmen competitors feel they "need" to go racing now. I love the old photos of the late '50s and early '60s national events with flat-towed cars, open trailers, and the occasional ramp truck, and racers camping out at the track.

And yes, I've owned an enclosed trailer for over fifteen years . . . that I've never actually taken to any drag strip . . . I favor real street-driven street/strip machines . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      DWhy should the big kids have to drop what they are doing so the little kids can play?.
      because at the very least you should lead by example..... kinda hard to fault the younger generation for
      being selfish and self centered if thats what youre teaching them by the way you behave. i mean, children
      only learn what we teach them.

along the lines youre thinking, then why dont we keep out anyone who doesnt actually own a hotrod--why
      should the rest of us have to wait behind 'wannabes' in line for tickets, food, bathroom, etc.... just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
        I've lived next door to a couple of Jr. Dragster parents over the years. They had more in their whole rigs (truck, trailer, custom-painted Jr. Dragster, pro-built lawnmower mill, golf cart**, uniforms, etc) than I've had in competing with an actual full-scale car!

I doubt that the Jr. program really sucks up that much track time. But they undoubtedly contribute to some revenue at the pit gate and maybe a few extra ticket sales for extended families. But mostly it seems like another way for the "haves" and "insiders" to show off

I've also heard a fan or two say "they're so cute" when the Jrs hit the track during an intermission in a "big" show. .

-----------------

** Personally I hate all that $$$$$$ golf cart/enclosed trailer/toterhome crap that so many sportsmen competitors feel they "need" to go racing now. I love the old photos of the late '50s and early '60s national events with flat-towed cars, open trailers, and the occasional ramp truck, and racers camping out at the track.

And yes, I've owned an enclosed trailer for over fifteen years . . . that I've never actually taken to any drag strip . . . I favor real street-driven street/strip machines . . . .
        Yes the Junior Dragster overkill is REAL. I lost my s**t when watching a race from Tulsa and they started rolling out with tire warmers on. If tire slippage is a big deal at that level then burnouts shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

because at the very least you should lead by example..... kinda hard to fault the younger generation for
          being selfish and self centered if thats what youre teaching them by the way you behave. i mean, children
          only learn what we teach them.

along the lines youre thinking, then why dont we keep out anyone who doesnt actually own a hotrod--why
          should the rest of us have to wait behind 'wannabes' in line for tickets, food, bathroom, etc.... just saying.
          Actually that is why I was saddened at the death of the pit pass. As a wannabee I enjoyed being able to aspire to a higher level of wannabee by buying the pit pass.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with letting kids get a little taste of being part of the "big show".

but then again, I haven't ever been to a major NHRA event, although I went to the AHRA winternationals a few times while it was in Tucson. I even got to be part of the "big show", racing my old pickup truck.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think you protest too much...
              In derbies a few yers ago, filler was Honda Cvcc etc rolling off a ramp, winner is most rolls..6-7-8.
              Then it is mini cars... They were so boring and slow, now they put on a pretty good show...
              Now they are starting with 12-13-14 year olds in mini cars.. As filler or between big car heats and the main..

Jr dragsters are pretty cool for what they are...

Comment

It's a totally different sport but ... In a way I'm glad they let "juniors" run road courses. Even if the juniors are about 60 years old. Sure, get out there with them and get run over. At that level it actually becomes dangerous, being in the way of the thundering herd. And that's not even intended to be a spectator sport either, but it should be. All of the juniors out there in a pack together and some are twice as fast as others. By hardware or by talent.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

On track days you guys pay extra to do it in private.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    On track days you guys pay extra to do it in private.
                    I won't pay it any more. That's......I'm glad I did it. That's scary, at times. I'm glad I did it. I thought my car would go fast, but no it ain't that fast. I'm glad I did it. Something else to do. A life experience. Humbling. You think you're fast? Uhhh no. No, check THIS out. Getting dive-bombed in Turn 10A at Road Atlanta is a unique experience. Land Speed is much safer. A much safer way to risk your life.
                    Last edited by pdub; January 26, 2019, 01:35 AM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

If you're 'done' with it, you're not really the target audience for the question.

I love having the Jr's there, it's great seeing the kids getting into the sport. Unfortunately, the kids get to do basically nothing, they have to have dad help stage them, do all the tuning, tweak this that and the other, etc. The cars are horrible to watch, slow and atrociously noisy. The thing that gets me is that for safety, they can't be lined up in the bleach box when there's a car in front of them--so either we don't trust them to not drive into things in front of them (but trust them to drive at >80mph?), or the safety of the adults isn't as important when we're racing.

But then, I don't like any form of racing that requires 37 people on the starting line because the driver can't find the start line without help.
                      Last edited by AndyB; January 26, 2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post

But then, I don't like any form of racing that requires 37 people on the starting line because the driver can't find the start line without help.
                        Best statement ever!

Comment

Working...
                        X