Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I wasn't going to sell all my junk to Copart and retire . .. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I wasn't going to sell all my junk to Copart and retire . .. .

For those BSers who lament threads about "nothing" . . . .

I was running a routine PicClick eBay search the other day and I ran across this old plastic model kit artwork in a sale listing . . . Now I kinda want to track down an old Ford XL or Galaxie or some such, build a big, crazy (functional) wing and go faux street STOCK CAR . . . .

Or how about this faker . . . .

A semi-skirted fender Skylark dolled up in totally "incorrect" GSX style (rear "wing" spoiler and all) . . . . This rig was stoking for some unexplained reason.

Or maybe cook up a totally-fake and unbelievable Hurst Olds Delta 88 . . . .

Anyone else get wacky inspirations? Does Gas-x help?

The idea of a street legal circle tracker has always appealed to me. Even though I hate circle tracks the car would have the potential to be really fast and really illegal and get away with both because of the "aw shucks" factor. MY bizarre fantasy is to sell rabid wealthy NASCAR fans kits with big-ish wheels and tires and a wrap to make the street version of a car look like their hero's.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

There used to be a guy (now dead) who showed locally an '87 or '88 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe liveried up like Earnhardt (obviously not FWD Monte pictured) . . . it had some V8 heat under the hood but was obviously a street car. It was fairly polarizing.

Somehow, though, if it looks too close to reality, people may get hung up on the niggling details.

Maybe if one discards "correctness" . . much like some of the '60s toymakers, the overarching theme doesn't get bogged down in measuring fealty to some original inspiration.

Hated "inaccurate" stuff like this when it was new, but other than the busyness, was it really that bad?
      Not famous, but bitchin nonetheless . . .

Sacrilege?
      Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; January 25, 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Although they made a tiny number of Matador "Machine" cars, none came with the Rebel Machine hood scoop . . . This one was featured in a magazine or two . . . a sweet modification that helps make an otherwise forgettable "core" kinda interesting . . .

Comment

Or maybe a faux '73 Matador Machine?

AMX-style scoop doesn't get lost on that massive hood . . . .

Comment

Back in the 80s there were some guys in the scene I hung around in that did a Wood Brothers Merc. Thing was they were custom painters so they really OVERDID it. Mylar where it was supposed to be mylar and then they blocked and cleared it. It ended up getting them in magazines where their ISCA champion Ranchero didn't. ISCA was such a little universe of it's own with filled and sanded engine blocks and chrome frost plugs. I say frost plugs because that's what most people call them even though they really are core plugs that fill the holes the jacket cores leave. Freeze a block those plugs don't do dick.

How's THAT for stream of consciousness no content nonsense?

Comment

Last Matador I saw was Mikey's on American Chopper. Ya Think Mikey and Chumlee might be related?

Comment

Yeah, I've seen one of those 21 Mercurys . . . don't know if it was the one you're referring to.

The Wood Brothers Le Mans Montego, or the Olympia Le Mans Charger, or the Truxmore Le Mans Torino (pictured) seem like good thematic inspirations (Too bad "NASCARs" are no longer welcome in any 24-Hour endurance races . . . . )

Comment

Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

saw this one on Power Tour 1997, in Springfield IL.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The one bad part of when I do a junkyard crawl.
                      It gets my mind thinking of what I'd do to some of the vehicles I see in a yard.
                      Last time it was an old commercial truck brand, forget what one. that was your local milk man truck/van. and beside it, but in a way that it was back a little. was a 90's ford truck with a roll back ramp.
                      So walking up to the milk truck. you got the "idea of a ramptruck/roll back with the milk truck as the cab..
                      Looked somewhat like a cab over ramp truck, but different. at least in my twisted mind/imagination.
                      Another was an mid 70's caprice wagon, it was cut after the 2nd row of seats(my guess is someone needed the 1/4's and or rear floor and tail gate) and it was dropped on a square body gmc truck frame that had to have been a crew cab dually.
                      Oh, ya. I can see that one in my head.
                      A few years ago, there was a 1973 grand am in a yard with all 4 wheel lips rotting off. Cut open the wheel opening, drop it a little ,and paint a # on the doors and roof. and instant grand national car or can am look. Trunk floor, holy so, easy to fit a fuel cell. interior trashed. so no loss there.
                      If I had land like some do. I'd have had it follow me home.

Comment

For some sick reason these crazy old short-track Ramblers jumped up in the cerebral cortex this morning.

Maybe they wouldn't totally suck with a pair of cheap takeoff EcoBoost turbos grafted onto the pedestian AMC six . . . or with a proper AMC or Chrysler V8 wedged in (after all the corporate successor to Nash-Kelvinator is now technically FCA, which opens up a wide range of possible "corporate" powerplants).

Comment

Comment

The kafabe 4-4-2 Vista Cruisers and G.T.O. Safaris also have always seemed like a fun diversion from the more popular builds.

Too bad finding a good core is so $$$$$$ nowadays . . . .

Comment

Image result for studebaker granatelli at bonneville
                              When the occasional cheap Lark two-door pops up, I get tempted to cobble together something inspired by one of these (probably makes more sense than a Rambler American because of the separate frame) . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X