Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I wasn't going to sell all my junk to Copart and retire . .. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of good here . . . No bumper looks tough and racy. I'm not sure how the hood pins work on the back side of the trunk lid, but they look tough. The Le Mans-style flip fuel cap sticks up a bit high, but otherwise it's a sweet competition detail. Subtle tire bulge on the rear quarters isn't too over-the-top and is functional.

No mistaking this one for grandma's econobox . . . .
    Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; January 29, 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I would guess that for competition it couldn't have a lock on it .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Yeah. I recall seeing some vintage race cars from the '60s which have a trunk key in the lock secured by a lanyard.. But what I don't understand is the geometry of how a horizontal pin clears the opening of the vertical surface of the trunk lid. It does arc out a bit as you raise it, but would it be enough to clear the pin? Maybe it's thin fiberglass and they flex it out of the way? (like in the first gas station scene in "Two-Lane Blacktop" (1971))

Comment

Confession time:

Sometimes when I see an old, neglected Corvair for sale cheap, I get tempted to search for my inner Bill Thomas and Don Yenko . . . .

Comment

The incorporation of the bow tie into the number on this Corvair is clever. I think there was a similar graphic used in the 1964 Chevrolet ad campaign . . . .
            Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; January 30, 2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

It's often hard to pick a hood scoop that looks "right" on a pre-60s car. But this Max Wedge scoop may look better on a '57 Plymouth than does on an early '60s Maxi . . . .

Comment

Is it just me or does that Chrysler Plymouth logo look awfully new compared to the rest of the photo? When was Modified Production started anyway?
                Last edited by RockJustRock; January 30, 2019, 10:33 AM.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The photo is supposed to be circa 1966. Note what looks to me like 7" slicks. As to when the class started, see http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...tion-l88-nova/

They were also using the tri-bar motif then as well

Comment

I get it. You put up that link as the WRONG place for a Max Wedge scoop, right?
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Not really. It was for the paragraphs about MP classes in 1964.
                      As to the Max Wedge scoop on a Gen II Nova/Chevy II . . . it happened back in the day. Probably not any worse than a Ford Super Duty truck scoop on any number of early '60s GM drag cars.

Sure, most of us wouldn't put a Mopar scoop on a Chevy today . . ..

BBR's Mustang must really rankle some of the brand-purists . . . .

Comment

Carrying exterior colors as accents into the interior has always been difficult to pull off on late models (It was commonplace back in the days before padded dashes)

Do it wrong and it looks "ricey" Do it well and it is a great way to step out of the bland OEM box.

Searching for a photo of the Hooper & Co. Rolls Phantom III Fixed Head Coupe for Monk's thread, I ran across this Hooper blast from 1980. Not sure if I like it, but it's one way of accenting the gut with the exterior color palate.

Comment

Lots of win in Animal Jim's "Big Animal" . . .

But Bill Stroppe's stockers pull in a different direction . . ..

Comment

Working...
                          X