Home Improvement Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Improvement Project

Following Hurricane Florence we had some damage in ME's music studio, the former attached 2 car garage. So my time has gone into rehabbing this space and as of yesterday we finally had 2 Blokes and a Lorry (the British branch of 2 Man and a Truck - J/K, of course) bring the furniture and miscellaneous junk back from the storage place. I did everything except the mold treatment, foam insulation, flooring and the drywall tape and mudding myself and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I've done everything I can think of to keep water out of there but you just never know, so all the new stuff is as water resistant as possible. The new drywall is the purple stuff, the flooring is LVP (luxury vinyl plank), and even the new trim is what I call "notwood" - looks like wood but it's notwood, it's PVC plastic like plumbing pipe. So with any luck there will be no more water but if there is it'll do minimal damage. Here's the pics:

1) Some of the mold we found. YUCCHHHHH!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2496.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	1228851

The room with the drywall stripped. I cut it at 24" under the windows so I didn't have to re-trim that area - lazy but effective. At this point we brought in a mold remediation company and they hosed everything including the floor with some kind of superjuice including the spice thyme. It seems to have worked well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2545.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	1228852

Insulation. The foam is also water repellent so no future issues there. Because I had the prep work done it wasn't too pricey.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2578.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	1228853

Nifty purple drywall in place. Not waterproof but water resistant. And yes, the piano was there throughout the whole process as it's just too much to move. I bagged it up to protect it as much as possible and it seems to have survived well though it'll need tuning. For some reason I don't have a pic of the finished taping and mudding - oh, well.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2587.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	1228854

And painted. Here the flooring is down and ME's new area rug is in place - pricey but classy in the room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2609.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	1228855

I was faced with an interesting bit of trim work along one wall. The crew who poured the garage footing wasn't too careful in making the footing fit a standard wall width, thinking this would always be a garage. This left a step along a part of the wall that had to be finished in some manner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.4 KB ID:	1228856

The baseboard was a glue-up of a 3/4"x4" board and the fancy trim. So I added to my glue-up and 3/4"x1/2" band from the back toward the wall as shown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1944.jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.0 KB ID:	1228857
    And the corner shown above w/base. I coped the corner (proof that I CAN cope!) so the two profiles mate up. Since this pic I added a quick swipe of caulk and it looks perfect. I kinda like how this turned out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1945.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.1 KB ID:	1228858

Moving back in. All the stuff is all in the room though there's a ton of organizing and arranging to do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1946.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.2 KB ID:	1228859
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 29, 2019, 09:05 AM.

Looks good. Now is a two hour drive too far for a job? I could use somebody with your skills to do a few thinks around the place.

Comment

I'm good at doing "thinks" around the house. It's doing "things" that give me "issues". (Thanks for the kind words.)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        I'm good at doing "thinks" around the house. It's doing "things" that give me "issues". (Thanks for the kind words.)

Dan
        Dan, you've got another career sitting there. You're already doing it. Here in eastern Tennessee, the going rate is somehow $400. If you call somebody, some stranger, it's $400. It must be a negotiated rate. Maybe they're all in the same union. $400 to look at something. $400 to pressure wash the house. $400 for a termite treatment. $400 to put two feet of insulation tape on a duct underneath the house. $400 to install a handrail on the stairway. $400. Just have $400 ready. Or do it yourself, in my case poorly.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You tube has been a God send. you can watch a bunch of videos. after you've read a book on the work you want to do. and then SEE the work being done. It is like looking over a contractors/plumbers/electrician /etc work while he/she is doing it. This can be a big help in learning how to do things.

Comment

I grew up doing this stuff. Notice I didn't say "doing it well", just doing it. My Dad was constantly either building a house or refurbing one. Mom and I did a ton of painting and we laid a lot of floor tile - or whatever else we were told to do. Don't know how? "Figure it out!!!" (shouted at high volume). I've gained skills as I did stuff on my own (without Dad shouting at me) and have gotten to a point where I actually enjoy it as long as I'm not under time pressure. But I'm informed enough to know what I don't know. My next door neighbor is a finish carpenter by trade (you know - all those fancy little moldings) and is also a general contractor and I'll call him in a heartbeat when I need him. He did the crown molding in this room in less than a morning.

Dan

Comment

Looks great Dan! Glad ME got her musom room back!
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

good job!

I would have just used the damage as an excuse to turn the room back into a garage

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  good job!

I would have just used the damage as an excuse to turn the room back into a garage
                  Much agreed. I've always thought, a tornado could do more home improvement than I could. At least it would look better.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    good job!

It was too small to do me much good anyhow (roughly 24X26 with the laundry in the back) so I gladly turned it over to her and built the shop. That was the deal and I KEEP my deals with ME!

Dan

Comment

Dan, we need to move you in next door to us whenever (hopefully) one of these houses comes on the market again. I'd hire you, no question about it. You have the talent and the ability.

Years ago, I got tired of cleaning out the rain gutters. I hate a ladder. In my old age, all of a sudden afraid of heights. After a life full of daredevil stunts. So some years ago, I called those Leaf Guard people. There are many products like it. So they set up an appointment. Here he comes. To our house, and he had all sorts of things, stage props to go with the presentation.

It was a drawn-out affair, he's inside our house doing this show. About 5 minutes into it, I asked him how much does this cost? He shot me down, we'll get to that later, he was required to do his whole show. We even went out into the back yard and played with the garden hose, demonstrating how amazing this particular product actually is. And I played along, completely bored - let's put a pine needle in it....that's most of the problem we have. Well, the amazing product swallowed that pine needle whole, it's in there. That didn't work.

An hour later.....how much will this cost? FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. That salesman wasted an hour of his life at our house. And he never quit talking.

Comment

Sorry Peewee - too cold up there. As far as the leaf guard guy - that's what salesman DO. It could be a vacuum cleaner, a fire suppression system - doesn't matter. They're gonna give you the presentation - the WHOLE presentation - then try to set the hook. Or you can all the local handyperson (a friend in MI uses a very good female handyperson so I made it gender-neutral) and have them clean the gutters for $100. My math isn't good but I think that means you can have the gutters cleaned 50 times for the price of his handy-dandy system. So, one/year for 50 years?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X