Custom horn caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom horn caps

I've been working on these for the past week. On and off between funerals.

So I started with the ramp truck pulling the old standard column and installing the tilt column. I decided to take the horn cap a part and clean it up and repaint it. While I had it a part I had a idea. So I started looking and happen to run across some cool idea's. So I ended up buying the emblems at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 each. I took the magnets off of them and it fit perfect. I painted the ring and well here you see the out come.
    So after getting the idea for the ramp truck horn I figured I could do the 64 SS Impala the same way but with a SS emblem. So I ordered the emblem and did it as well. I opened up the horn ring to let the SS emblem lay flat and Epoxied the retaining ring in it. I was going to file the emblem down but decided to do the ring instead. So now all my emblems match.
    I think they both turned out great and they are the only ones I know of for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50160250_2161136047286254_7128099531723374592_n.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1228875
    Attached Files
    Retirement is better than I thought!

You can make homemade out of alum. using a home foundry (see you tube) and cast them with the text (ss or whatever) as part of the horn button and not a sticker/decal.
    If you don't have alum. scrap laying around. ask your friends and neighbors to save you cat food cans. cleaned.. cans.
    Make a buck out of carved wood.(either hand /dremel or router) carved in a mirror of what you want the end piece to look like. and pour your button(s)
    Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; January 26, 2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Andy that's a great job, as always you make neat custom stuff.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Looking good! If Mutt had a horn I'd consider it but with a removable wheel he just gets a foam cover thingy.

Dan

Comment

If I was going to do something with molten aluminum this looks the most fun. I like the way the hill percolates and smokes a bit after the pour.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            If I was going to do something with molten aluminum this looks the most fun. I like the way the hill percolates and smokes a bit after the pour.

Got a buddy that I worked with on the paper machine that did it, made some impressivel works of art.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

These are not stickers are decals! I'm not melting any thing either. I'm just making some cool horn caps!

Comment

[QUOTE=RockJustRock;n1228915]If I was going to do something with molten aluminum this looks the most fun. I like the way the hill percolates and smokes a bit after the pour. /QUOTE]
                Anything that kills fire ants is good with me! And the castings ARE interesting.

Dan

Comment

I had done a custom horn button 'way back, putting a '67 Chevy II one on a Superior (aftermarket) wheel. Was quick, fun, I always liked the way it looked. It later went on a Vega, the emblem changed to something cut out on a bandsaw. Doing the Challenger I had the problem of having a GM steering column with an adapted-on Mopar-type wheel, and nothing available would work. I'd recently bought a small rotary table for the mill and figured that making one out of alum. bar stock would be a good project to get familiar with the tool. To do raised letters I'd need to come up with some-sort of "program" method for X-Y-Z and degrees both, after a while I sorta worked it out. I didn't come out perfect but, close enough at the time. Of-course the back side is all machined out to work with standard hardware, the cap held on with a set screw rather than snapping on. 2 days work, when all done! I sprayed it the interior color when I did everything else, Gail painted the letters. Pardon grainy pic.

Name:	DSC07912.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1228974

Comment

stock gas filler door emblem turned into horn button on white vette.
                    little bit of work with a dremel and a touch of clear silicone for adhesive.
                    and the tele/tilt still works.......

Name:	steeringwheel1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1228977

Comment

That's a cool idea, nice little touch that you don't see everywhere.
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Loren, fatguyzinc those are nice caps. That's the kind of stuff I wanted to see. Anybody else? Lets see what you got.

I started on the steering wheel this morning getting it ready to fill the cracks in and maybe cutting it down a bit. Haven't decided on that part yet.
                        The RotoZip made opening the cracks up very easy and fast to!Click image for larger version

Name:	50822335_2173066896093169_7606865484738199552_n.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1229011
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X