Vintage snowmobiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage snowmobiles

Is anyone here into vintage snowmobiles?

I have some Brut snowmobiles from the early seventies. they were the first production liquid-cooled snowmobile.

We just finished the world's largest vintage snowmobile ride in weekend. For 25 years it's been held on Lake Waconia in Minnesota. This was the last year for this venue as the county has put the squeeze on the organizers and the area around is getting developed.

Some years they have had over a thousand snowmobiles do the 11 Mile ride around the lake. This year was down a little bit as we've hardly had any snow and it was very cold.

I'm on my 72 Brut behind two freinds on 73 Bruts.. (Orange sled and I'm wearing an Orange jacket and helmet. 3:00 to 3:05 in the video)

" You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

I'll bet that's fun. It sure looks fun on lots of videos. I had to spend two whole weeks in Dalhousie New Brunswick in a February, and those guys there were bound and determined I was going to ride bitch on a snowmobile at about 80 mph when it was about 5 below zero F. They said they could even dress me for it, they had an extra arctic suit for me to wear. I know that's what they live for, I know they think that's fun. But no, uh no.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I worked for an Arctic Cat dealer in MI in the 1970ish timeframe. The only problem with snowmobiles is the snow thing - it only happens in cold weather. Great that you're enjoying the sport but I'll let you have my enjoyment, too.

Dan

Comment

My HVAC friend donated this one to the cause. It was sitting on top of his wood pile for years. He bought it new for his kids, his daughter rode it the most. We cleaned it up, added a new windscreen, new seat cover, new taillight and headlight, new wear bars for the skis, complete new fuel lines. Someone had filled the carb bowl with 2-stroke oil ( I never knew that was a thing) after cleaning it out it runs nicely. Single cylinder air-cooled. It still starts awfully hard, thinking it may need a new fuel pump too.

1991 Indy Star Lite 244cc 25hp

Click image for larger version

Name:	kFMxBh0.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1229134

Name:	t9SfcrQ.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1229135

Father-in-law bought new, boys still enjoying it today. Liquid-cooled single-cylinder - torquey!

1986 Yamaha Inviter 300cc 30hp

Click image for larger version  Name:	obWTNfn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	1229131
          Last edited by STINEY; January 28, 2019, 09:10 AM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

wheeeeeeeeeeeee
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              My HVAC friend donated this one to the cause. It was sitting on top of his wood pile for years. He bought it new for his kids, his daughter rode it the most. We cleaned it up, added a new windscreen, new seat cover, new taillight and headlight, new wear bars for the skis, complete new fuel lines. Someone had filled the carb bowl with 2-stroke oil ( I never knew that was a thing) after cleaning it out it runs nicely. Single cylinder air-cooled. It still starts awfully hard, thinking it may need a new fuel pump too.

1991 Indy Star Lite 244cc 25hp

Name:	kFMxBh0.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1229134

Name:	t9SfcrQ.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1229135

Father-in-law bought new, boys still enjoying it today. Liquid-cooled single-cylinder - torquey!

1986 Yamaha Inviter 300cc 30hp

Click image for larger version Name:	obWTNfn.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	1229131
              Those Inviters and Ovations are neat little sleds. I picked up an 82 Enticer for my youngest daughter to ride..

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                I'll bet that's fun. It sure looks fun on lots of videos. I had to spend two whole weeks in Dalhousie New Brunswick in a February, and those guys there were bound and determined I was going to ride bitch on a snowmobile at about 80 mph when it was about 5 below zero F. They said they could even dress me for it, they had an extra arctic suit for me to wear. I know that's what they live for, I know they think that's fun. But no, uh no.
                The vintage stuff is whatever you want it to be..It's very roadkill like. Lots of guys just drag stuff out of barns or the woods and only do just enough to get them running..other do full restorations. Like anything they can go fast enough to kill and maime if you hold them wide open..I just like to fix em up and run them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbug View Post

The vintage stuff is whatever you want it to be..It's very roadkill like. Lots of guys just drag stuff out of barns or the woods and only do just enough to get them running..other do full restorations. Like anything they can go fast enough to kill and maime if you hold them wide open..I just like to fix em up and run them.
                  I worked in Dalhousie in the wintertime and also in Thunder Bay in the summertime. Those guys in Thunder Bay in July....it was about 60 degrees F and they were dying. They were just about to die from the heat. Taking clothes off and sweating and cussing. All they wanted was for the lake to freeze over again so they could go have some fun. Sort of a mirror image of the climate I grew up in.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I worked in Dalhousie in the wintertime and also in Thunder Bay in the summertime. Those guys in Thunder Bay in July....it was about 60 degrees F and they were dying. They were just about to die from the heat. Taking clothes off and sweating and cussing. All they wanted was for the lake to freeze over again so they could go have some fun. Sort of a mirror image of the climate I grew up in.
                    Where I live in East Central Minnesota it can be 100 F in July and -35 F in January.

Night of fire in Cedarfalls Iowa is blast in the Chevelle . Black Interior...long
                    pants and a helmet... No trees in the staging lanes.

I hear folks are paying big money for Saunas and Cryo treatments. . I get em seasonally for free.

Comment

I've always wanted a Harley-Davidson snowmobile... just because.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                        because snow is white and leaking oil is black?
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          ... because snow is white and leaking oil is black?
                          No, the oil does not stay in long enough to turn black.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            They are neat looking sleds...a bit pig heavy like everything AMF made.
                            the real problem was Harleys association with Italian Aermacchi.. they supplied the engines and they were not very durable or reliable.
                            Last edited by Hoffbug; January 29, 2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Some of the stuff made in the early 70s was beyond wild... the 72 through 74 650cc Speedway is one.. 90 Horsepower in a 370lb 94 inch long sled.

a freind had this one for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X