Trying to Reason With Cold Weather Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Reason With Cold Weather Season

We've got lots of BS Brothers here from the Great North, so take humor in this if you can. It's the perfect setup, it's gonna snow in southeastern TN, the guessers are sure of it, and the forecast is narrowing down.

When the ground turns white here, I mean just a dusting, people freak out. They close the schools, they close the banks, and the grocery stores are total mayhem until the display shelves are empty. And cars wreck on the straightaway because nobody can drive in it. The problem this time is, it's gonna be cold. Rain turning to snow overnight into tomorrow morning. So whatever falls is gonna be around for a while. It won't melt tomorrow like what we're all used to.

Total chaos. Remember the ice storm in Atlanta a few years ago? Same thing. But a bit further north from there this time. Yeah, film at eleven.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I've never understood why people drive like morons on snow... They don't have these problems in Alaska, do they? Until they banned them, the only people who bought cleated snow tires lived in southern states. Upstate New Yorkers and North Dakotans wrinkled their brows in confusion at the very idea of snow tires. Just drive sensibly, with a light touch on the gas.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Just drive sensibly, with a light touch on the gas.
      You guys who "know" snow, y'all have never seen anything like this. It's.......just stock up and stay home. It should actually be considered to be hilarious, Benny Hill stuff, but unfortunately some folks get hurt out there in it trying to get around.

Comment

Wilmington is like Cleveland TN in that regard. We get snow every 5-10 years and they close the world when it hits one flake/acre. I go to lunch at Waffle House as they're open (guess the staff sleeps there).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Wilmington is like Cleveland TN in that regard. We get snow every 5-10 years and they close the world when it hits one flake/acre. I go to lunch at Waffle House as they're open (guess the staff sleeps there).

Dan
          HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! I just got a text message from the Bradley County Emergency Management folks on my Fred Flintstone flip phone. They're already closing the schools tomorrow, they're not even playing with it. HhHAhAhaH!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
            We've got lots of BS Brothers here from the Great North, so take humor in this if you can. It's the perfect setup, it's gonna snow in southeastern TN, the guessers are sure of it, and the forecast is narrowing down.

When the ground turns white here, I mean just a dusting, people freak out. They close the schools, they close the banks, and the grocery stores are total mayhem until the display shelves are empty. And cars wreck on the straightaway because nobody can drive in it. The problem this time is, it's gonna be cold. Rain turning to snow overnight into tomorrow morning. So whatever falls is gonna be around for a while. It won't melt tomorrow like what we're all used to.

Total chaos. Remember the ice storm in Atlanta a few years ago? Same thing. But a bit further north from there this time. Yeah, film at eleven.
            Supposedly it's coming here, Robert is forecasting his butt off. IT'S A MAJOR WEATHER EVENT DAD! Gotta love him.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

You guys who "know" snow, y'all have never seen anything like this. It's.......just stock up and stay home. It should actually be considered to be hilarious, Benny Hill stuff, but unfortunately some folks get hurt out there in it trying to get around.
              Peewee....... If you've paid any attention to history, you'd know we not only have big snowstorms in Kansas, but also ice storms, and the gamut of bad winter season weather. We ARE farther north, ya know - and here on the Great Plains there are few trees.... In fact, the old saying around here is "Ain't nothing between us and the wind except a barbwire fence in Nebraska". Ask Ron Ward - he knows.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Today, woke up to 4+ inches of snow in Westminster CO 10 or 12 miles north west of Denver. Stood by the patio door with my cup of coffee and watched. I am retired whahoo !
                Nick

Comment

You just gotta be here to enjoy it, watching society get paralyzed. I mean, shut down.

Comment

Supposed to be 77 here today. Maybe cooler w/ some rain (need all we can get) on the weekend.

Comment

I've never understood why people drive like morons on snow... .
                      Back in the day (late '70s), I had some killer, tall recap snow tires for my GTO-powered LeMans (I swapped the 400 in myself after the Poncho 350 blew up on a top-end charge). . . One time when everything shut down because of a blizzard, I swapped on the honkin' snows and went "road trip" Passed a snow plow on a totally vacant interstate at ~ 90 m.p.h.

I can't drive 55 . . . on the snow!

100+ miles of big fun until the battery exploded. But the car would still start with the top blown out of the battery, so I continued on at a slightly reduced pace.

Back then I'd burn up a whole tank of gas driving around in the snow . . . pulling Rockfords, J-turns, power slides . . . It was all good except for the stopping. But then a drum-braked "muscle car" jacked to the moon wasn't much for that anyhow . . . .

Today, I'd be horrified by all the corrosives used to "melt" freezing precipitation . . . but back then, they were just less-than-a-decade-old used cars.

Snow moron? Guilty!

Comment

Not wind chill..... Actual temperatures

Click image for larger version

Name:	6011A0F0-4A1B-4031-9BDC-78A9A768E453.png
Views:	56
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	1229151

Comment

MS-13 will have to double up on the flak jackets when it's that cold.

Comment

I've never understood why people drive like morons on snow... They don't have these problems in Alaska, do they? Until they banned them, the only people who bought cleated snow tires lived in southern states. Upstate New Yorkers and North Dakotans wrinkled their brows in confusion at the very idea of snow tires. Just drive sensibly, with a light touch on the gas.
                            People drive like morons, nothing more needs to be said. It hasn't dropped a snow flake here in years, and people still drive like they're on ice.... even when it's sunny and 60 degrees.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Projected temps for Wednesday have gone up at least 10 degrees in the past couple days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_59706.png
Views:	28
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1229168

Even here, the first real snow of the season, everyone forgets how to drive. After that, everyone chills out and remembers where they live.
                              Last edited by tedly; January 28, 2019, 12:44 PM.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X