3 wheel fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wheel fun

I bought this trike yesterday for $50.00 and started taking it a part today to make it a fat tire trike for Rhett & I to ride together at the beach. The plan is to put all 3 fat rims and tires on it and chop & rake it. I have all the wheels & tires but I have to buy some axle shafts and other odds and ends to to what I want. Here is what I got for my $50.00. I've been waiting over a year for a good buy on one and this one came up less than a mile from me.
    I took the rear axles out and gear drive. Cleaned up the bearings to re use. The axles are to short for the fat tire rims so Tractor suppy has the rod in 48" long which will get both axles done. They also have the shaft collars to lock everything back down since the old ones I had to drill the set screws out of both.
    The fat tire rims I had to drill the hub out to the 5/8" diameter for the rod to slide through. I took the coaster brake gear off and took the gear out of it and then screwed it back on to the wheel. This will allow me to weld the rod to the wheel hub to turn the whole thing which has to be done so the gear on the axle will pull the one axle. The other one will just be a coaster wheel axle but I plan to do it the same way plus it will allow me to change wheels if I ever need to. Now once the rear wheels are in place I will cut the forks and head off to rake it and add length to the forks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	50999277_10205613801222407_967010928916692992_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1229573
    Attached Files
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Here's something from my childhood memories.... some friends took a similar trike, put a orange crate springer out front, a bearing where the original seat post was, with a 8" cal custom steering wheel and chin drive to control the forks... that put a bucket seat riding where the basket would reside...wound up having to fill the downtubes with lead AND a single wheelie bar with a swivel caster in the rear....not a really comfortable ride at the time.... but drew a crowd wherever it cruised...wish I had a picture of it other than in my mind's eye...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Here's something from my childhood memories.... some friends took a similar trike, put a orange crate springer out front, a bearing where the original seat post was, with a 8" cal custom steering wheel and chin drive to control the forks... that put a bucket seat riding where the basket would reside...wound up having to fill the downtubes with lead AND a single wheelie bar with a swivel caster in the rear....not a really comfortable ride at the time.... but drew a crowd wherever it cruised...wish I had a picture of it other than in my mind's eye...
      I bet that was a fun ride. I wish I had my chopper I built back when I was about 13/14. That was one bad ride. I had it balanced just right so when I leaned back on the sissy bar the front tire was barley off the ground and I'd ride the back wheel I could take turns and all and never have my front wheel touch the ground!

Comment

Name:	50811351_10205619526085525_6664077810593693696_n.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1229697
        Attached Files

Comment

I have finished the springer front end for the trike and it works great. I may even build one for the 2 wheel now.
          I'm installing dual rear axle disc brakes as well with a double pull brake lever.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Click image for larger version  Name:	51581916_10205631551666157_3555711194230685696_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.8 KB ID:	1230991
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Andy4639; February 8, 2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

When I was a kid the family had a big tricycle. I was the youngest so when I outgrew it I flipped the fork over and put a seat on the rear axle. It came out looking exactly like a Big Wheel but this was 1965 or earlier. I suppose I wasn't the only one to try it but the people that designed the Big Wheel had to get the idea somewhere.

Later we would cut up old forks and slip the legs on over the top of the regular ones to make choppers.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post
              Looks like you could also upgrade to Posi too.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Looks like you could also upgrade to Posi too.
                I could but it would be a lot harder to turn. If I could find a limited slip for it though!

I been riding this one the past few days while at the beach. The surf board is for Woodie I picked up for $50.00 at the local surf shop.Click image for larger version

Name:	51588544_10205641986847030_1957916994284027904_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1231027

Comment

I another coaster gear on the other axle might work? I wouldn't recommend a solid axle / spool. If it rides good with the peg leg it's more than likely not worth the trouble. Put a brake on the non driven axle, and do one wheel burn outs!
                  Last edited by Russell; February 9, 2019, 11:51 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    I another coaster gear on the other axle might work? I wouldn't recommend a solid axle / spool. If it rides good with the peg leg it's more than likely not worth the trouble. Put a brake on the non driven axle, and do one wheel burn outs!
                    I hadn't thought of that. I had thought about running the chain straight to the rear cog on the axle and doing a way with the coaster brake assembly all together since Im going with disc brakes on the back.
                    Last edited by Andy4639; February 9, 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I've got a thingamajig with a 3 hp horizonal that somebody made a walking string trimmer out of and has drive cogs to ride against the tires... Wonder if that will be small enough for you to use on a bike...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        I've got a thingamajig with a 3 hp horizonal that somebody made a walking string trimmer out of and has drive cogs to ride against the tires... Wonder if that will be small enough for you to use on a bike...
                        Post some pictures and we can see maybe.

Comment

I had to baby sit my grandson most of today so I stayed home and worked on the trike today instead of Woodie.
                          I made some progress to. Got the forks mounted cut the chain to work. I got to looking and slide the frame about 3.5" out and re drilled the mounting holes.. I have decided to stretch it even more now so I will cut it in half and add about 10" are so to it.
                          It's Rhett approved to!

Name:	Frame strech.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1232245
                          Attached Files

Comment

I cut it in half this morning. I stretched it out to 10' long. It should be a nice rider now.
                            Before and after the stretch.

Name:	double trouble.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	1232771
                            Attached Files

Comment

Poor kid ... he won't fit that for years now !

Comment

Working...
                              X