Fun At Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun At Work

We got a contract to do all of the controls for the largest galvanizing line in the world located in southern Ohio.
    Here's one of the cabinets I got to wire. It was fun...

After this we get to do the controls for the 2nd largest galv line in the world, aka the 1st co's competition.

That looks so perfect. Clean and everything in its place

Comment

how do you put "wire" and "fun" in the same sentence? :smh:
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by chevybuytroy View Post
        That looks so perfect. Clean and everything in its place
        Thank you sir.. That's how we roll, my boss is a stickler for clean wiring..

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        how do you put "wire" and "fun" in the same sentence? :smh:
        There's no sarcasm font so I have to be sardonic.

Comment

My weekend: Wiring from free '95 OBD I LT1 motor, free as in $1500 was paid for the car in order to get it's $1500 transmission. Shop manual info also for free. All the fun: Priceless.

But, this is all 12v dc which is like plumbing, and there ain't no production line depending on my having gotten connections right. Jus' sayin'

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07918.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1230664

Name:	DSC07917.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1230663

Comment

the wires are all the same color!

Nice work
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              My weekend: Wiring from free '95 OBD I LT1 motor, free as in $1500 was paid for the car in order to get it's $1500 transmission. Shop manual info also for free. All the fun: Priceless.

But, this is all 12v dc which is like plumbing, and there ain't no production line depending on my having gotten connections right. Jus' sayin'

Name:	DSC07918.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1230664

Name:	DSC07917.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1230663

Is a manual car? I payed around that for an Iroc with an lt1 a long time ago. I remember being gentle with the original wiring on it

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Nice work
                job security
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pretty work tardis! Back in my working days I'd occasionally do a nice job on something and it REALLY feels good. Sadly, I was usually doing one-off projects for a short-term test and there wasn't time to refine it to the standards I would have liked to maintain. Lots of tiewraps and pop rivets.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; February 7, 2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

That's the second thing I noticed, after the clean installation ... who in their right mind would design anything with all wiring the same color ?

Comment

Nice work
                      Normal in industrial control cabinets.... the nice part is that usually all of the wiring is labeled with heat shrink brady labels and the neatness makes it easier to service... the exception to the same color routine is usually control wiring is one color, and the line power to and from contactors is a different color or colors... I too agree with the nice work comment! it has been too often in my career that I have opened a cabinet to get overcome by the "ball of spaghetti" left by those who do not take the time to reinstall barriers, trough covers and cable ties... spent months at my last job trying to fix those death traps...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

That's the second thing I noticed, after the clean installation ... who in their right mind would design anything with all wiring the same color ?
                        Confident man?

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          Normal in industrial control cabinets.... the nice part is that usually all of the wiring is labeled with heat shrink brady labels and the neatness makes it easier to service... the exception to the same color routine is usually control wiring is one color, and the line power to and from contactors is a different color or colors... I too agree with the nice work comment! it has been too often in my career that I have opened a cabinet to get overcome by the "ball of spaghetti" left by those who do not take the time to reinstall barriers, trough covers and cable ties... spent months at my last job trying to fix those death traps...
                          This..

Blue is 24V+ for the control circuit aka control power input/output for the push buttons & selector switches.
                          Every wire has a Panduit shrink label with a wire number, and yes it's much easier to service when the wiring is tidy.

The colors we use go something like this:

Black: 3 Phase Power 208/230/240/277/480V
                          White: 120V Common Neutral, 277/480V 3 Phase w/Neutral Circuit
                          Red: 120V+
                          Yellow: 24V+ and/or 120V+ (Denotes incoming power cannot be turned off in/on this cabinet/panel)
                          Green: Ground PE
                          Blue: 24V+ Control and/or Power
                          Grey: 24V- Common Neutral

I've been in mills where the wiring is a dangerous rats nest waiting to fail at any second. (Some) Maintenance guys are lazy, under the gun, or both to keep things going and will cut corners like crazy. Like silver_bullet said, covers are off 99% off the time and the wireways have HUGE bundles of wiring spaghetti puking out all over the place inside of the cabinet.

On a side note, Loren showed the auto wiring he's working on. I'm a pretty good wireman, but I will have questions in the future on how to properly wire the new fusebox in the dune buggy. I'll eventually start a post here to get fellow bangshifters input on what to put on what circuit, how many amps the fuse needs to be for each circuit etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                            I will have questions in the future on how to properly wire the new fusebox in the dune buggy. I'll eventually start a post here to get fellow bangshifters input on what to put on what circuit, how many amps the fuse needs to be for each circuit etc.
                            Excellent.. a new project !

Comment

Working...
                            X