Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tedly View Post
    Guys, I might need a hug.
    come on down - I am sure we can hook you up with a hugger here.

Comment

So my truck isn't a hotrod.

Huh.

I am going to lose sooooooo much sleep over what other people think about my stuff and whether it fits with their opinions or not. Whatever shall I do with my life now?
      Nor mine... 350, intake, carb, headers, cam (280H at one time) One ton 12 foot flatbed
      7 miles from the farm to my house, late at night after hauling hay... My normal 10 mph over the limit... Get passed by a BMW... WHERETHE####HECOMEFROM?! Bastard slows down.. I do not... My big tow truck bumper ready to kiss that damn BMW, pass him instead..
      He thought he could throttle away and leave me in the wrong lane... Nope Dope! 4 barrel kicks in and it snarls... That BMW had no chance!
      Is that a hotrod? Or a sleeper?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

That's a very good point DB. And it's got me trying to remember again. Which is nearly impossible. But out of all of the days at all of the tracks, I honestly don't remember being passed by a Beemer. Or even seeing one there.

There was everything else......doors blown off by I don't even know what....I asked the instructor, what kind of car IS that? Turbocharged Subaru. I had no idea, but it was fast. I just don't recall seeing a Beemer at a race track, I think the owners don't take them there.
        Last edited by pdub; February 8, 2019, 03:15 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You'd better think twice about trucks not being hotrods....hot rodding by definition is modification of a vehicle with performance parts to reflect the OWNERS tastes.... we do this because opinions vary......not because we care about someone's opinion...
          Last edited by silver_bullet; February 8, 2019, 02:53 PM.
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Mine is well on it's way to being a hot rod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_151934.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1230944
            The HD Chevy's are horrible. You look at them trying to see the "face" off the truck and you just can't find it.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

2020 Silverado HD

Click image for larger version

Name:	terminator_endoskeleton_1020.0.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1230952
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

So my truck isn't a hotrod.

Huh.

I am going to lose sooooooo much sleep over what other people think about my stuff and whether it fits with their opinions or not. Whatever shall I do with my life now?
                We're going to have to have a new thread on this . . ..

Technically nearly anything that's been modified in some fashion would probably fit into the Wally Parks definition of a "hot rod."

Then we get into all the hair-splitting over whether or not a factory-comp'd Hellcat with an aftermarket K&N filter and a tune is a "hot rod"; or a kid's BMW 325i four-door with an autocross suspension (Grassroots Motorsports project car BTW) is a "hot rod;" or whether a patinaed Gremlin with a Clifford intake and header on a JY inliner is a "hot rod" . . . .Or if you're a "traditional" HAMB-bone, you may object to anything after a certain "golden year" being adjudged a "hot rod." . . . .

What about a rental car on the HRM Power Tour? Hot Rod? Did flipping the air cleaner lid on mom's Impala (spiritual successor to the miracle of Mom's Toyota) make it a "Hot Rod?" What if you cut off the muffler and slapped on a snotty "glasspack" or Thrush?

Why is everyone so hyper-sensitive? Hot rod anything you like. Just don't expect the results to ALWAYS be competitive with lighter, better-handling, and more aerodynamic automobiles . . . which was kinda the point.
                Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; February 8, 2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Nor mine... 350, intake, carb, headers, cam (280H at one time) One ton 12 foot flatbed
                  7 miles from the farm to my house, late at night after hauling hay... My normal 10 mph over the limit... Get passed by a BMW... WHERETHE####HECOMEFROM?! Bastard slows down.. I do not... My big tow truck bumper ready to kiss that damn BMW, pass him instead..
                  He thought he could throttle away and leave me in the wrong lane... Nope Dope! 4 barrel kicks in and it snarls... That BMW had no chance!
                  Or that truck from "Duel" (1971) . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    You'd better think twice about trucks not being hotrods....hot rodding by definition is modification of a vehicle with performance parts to reflect the OWNERS tastes.... we do this because opinions vary......not because we care about someone's opinion...
                    Somebody would say this is a "hot rod" . . . .

Comment

Technically anything automotive with “rod” in the description HAS to have a split windscreen......and I am fairly certain that split needs to be horizontal.
                      I read that in a book I borrowed from our local library in the early 80’s, so the typical internet definitions definitely did not apply here, lol.

and referencing the green late model above. Vurp.
                      Last edited by STINEY; February 8, 2019, 05:28 PM.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

If you think trucks can't be hot rods you are a special kind of..... well, just "special". You are trying too DAMN hard to be clever. There's a fine line between clever and not.
                        didn't say they can't be, show me where I did, I'll wait.
                        g.m. sells truck to do work.

If you missed it, since 1995, the big three have made the grills, the dick size tool on their trucks. every body change making it bigger and bigger.
                        I think all new trucks look stupid. The blunt nose bull dog look is over done. but they have to fill that huge void somehow, the height just from bumper to top of hood is nuts. I'll bet todays trucks have a good 8-10" on an 1984 ford nose in shear height from bumper to hood top.(skin)
                        besides, the yaahoo's that complain, are not buyers anyways, so I doubt they care what they say.
                        If they did, they have done a retro nose of a 1967 c-10

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

didn't say they can't be, show me where I did, I'll wait.
                          g.m. sells truck to do work.

If you missed it, since 1995, the big three have made the grills, the dick size tool on their trucks. every body change making it bigger and bigger.
                          I think all new trucks look stupid. The blunt nose bull dog look is over done. but they have to fill that huge void somehow, the height just from bumper to top of hood is nuts. I'll bet todays trucks have a good 8-10" on an 1984 ford nose in shear height from bumper to hood top.(skin)
                          besides, the yaahoo's that complain, are not buyers anyways, so I doubt they care what they say.
                          If they did, they have done a retro nose of a 1967 c-10
                          OK, While not clearly stated, refer to post#8....and I quote "Think the o/p forgot that it is a TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a hot rod."
                          And I have to agree with you on the ideas about aesthetics in the design of the newer trucks... the issues that are causing the oversizing of the light duty trucks are often due to what is being required of the manufacturers by the NHTSA, the EPA, and the most important group the consumer demographic that they are targeting...look at the size of the powerplant packages that are available for these vehicles... Have you seen the size/weight of a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke System? and don't forget the packaging required to make it live in the parameters forced on it for the warranty period... GCVWR for 24/7 in any weather for 100Kmiles... I don't think that I will ever by another new truck...(The last one was a 1999 Silverado that my son still drives)... The people that are buying these behemoths are the up and comers that have the financing or wealth to purchase them.... Fleet use and privateers are also considered... Most of us grass roots enthusiasts do not fit into the demographic, so we feel shorted... there is no hypersensitivity issue here... Just the facts of the bottom line...
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I don't know about all of this.......somebody told me once that Earl is a "street machine"...........hmmmmmmmm.

I think they arrived at that conclusion because he's a truck.
                            Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 9, 2019, 06:11 AM.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

In days gone by, the definition was 1946 was the cutoff line for Hot Rods....(Prewar cars and trucks) anything later was considered Street Machines.... That was classified by the NSRA.... However, when GoodGuys took over, it seemed that things changed....now, it's 1969 for the GoodGuys meets on Friday and Saturday....Sunday, it's run whatcha brung....

From Webster Dictionary: hot rod

noun Definition of hot rod

: an automobile rebuilt or modified for high speed and fast acceleration
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                                In days gone by, the definition was 1946 was the cutoff line for Hot Rods...
                                1948 maybe? but that was for NSRA Street Rods, maybe you have a different source.

The big thing being that 1949 was when Ford modernized their cars, with real suspension, and smoothing out the bodies. And everyone knows that only Fords can be hot rods (according to a few folks)

I'm with Wally...if you want to call your car (or anyone else's car) a Hot Rod, have at it. The term is mostly meaningless these days, simply because you can't get more than one person to agree on what it means.
                                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X