Can the ugly be hot rodded out of THIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    The term [Hot Rod] is mostly meaningless these days, simply because you can't get more than one person to agree on what it means.
    Quoted for the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

OK, While not clearly stated, refer to post#8....and I quote "Think the o/p forgot that it is a TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a hot rod."
      And I have to agree with you on the ideas about aesthetics in the design of the newer trucks... the issues that are causing the oversizing of the light duty trucks are often due to what is being required of the manufacturers by the NHTSA, the EPA, and the most important group the consumer demographic that they are targeting...look at the size of the powerplant packages that are available for these vehicles... Have you seen the size/weight of a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke System? and don't forget the packaging required to make it live in the parameters forced on it for the warranty period... GCVWR for 24/7 in any weather for 100Kmiles... I don't think that I will ever by another new truck...(The last one was a 1999 Silverado that my son still drives)... The people that are buying these behemoths are the up and comers that have the financing or wealth to purchase them.... Fleet use and privateers are also considered... Most of us grass roots enthusiasts do not fit into the demographic, so we feel shorted... there is no hypersensitivity issue here... Just the facts of the bottom line...
      As long as businesses get to write down new truck's. this will be an issue.
      Heck the local dealers ad's tell "buyers"
      Yes I'm sure the new oil burners with all the epa required crap is adding to packaging problems. making the sheer size of todays trucks monsters.
      In the oldin days. the big boys with the manly engines. were the f-450 and up or the c-30 and up. you didn't get the 24/7/365 work truck in the 150/250/350 line or the c-10/c-20.
      I honestly think they need to go back to this.
      Maybe Chevy gets the passenger trucks and gmc gets the "manly work trucks" problem is. Todays buyers want the BRO hauler look.
      I'm also sure it is cheaper for them to make a plastic snap on, one large grill, instead of a lower panel, a lower grill, another panel, then the upper grill, and then a surround.
      Sad when a mid 80's c-50 grill looks better. but is most likely just as big as todays. half ton trucks grill.

Comment

But it's not just big, it's ugly.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

1948 maybe? but that was for NSRA Street Rods, maybe you have a different source.

The big thing being that 1949 was when Ford modernized their cars, with real suspension, and smoothing out the bodies. And everyone knows that only Fords can be hot rods (according to a few folks)

I'm with Wally...if you want to call your car (or anyone else's car) a Hot Rod, have at it. The term is mostly meaningless these days, simply because you can't get more than one person to agree on what it means.
          This isn't new. it's been like this for decades, heck ever since the 1964 gto. and the rodder guys, distaste for the muscle car guys. So, everyone broke into different niches.
          Hot rods/ muscle cars/ mini truckers/ prostreet/ pro tour/sport trucks/import/ricers/tuners
          heck even the "rodders" have niches within their niche. The traditional, the billet everything, rat rod/ the pro show.

I'd not call my 75 a hot rod. It's my fun car. others can call it whatever they want. or group it in whatever niche they so choose.
          Doesn't change a thing.

The sad thing is. so much hot rodding material has been stored away from others. in collections, and when these folks either finally give up these stock 1908-1948 cars. no one will be interested in the raw material to rod them. Sad really. as so many would've loved to have been able to get their hands on these, but they are stored in a corner in a warehouse.

Comment

Hot rod is anything non-stock these days. It grated on me when John Force started calling his cars hot rods. A funny car is a race car, not something old or pieced together. But now everything is a hot rod if not stock and changing it is hot rodding. Go figure. All I know is if I had millions in a funny car operation I would not name the car Hound Dog.
            Last edited by RockJustRock; February 9, 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              But it's not just big, it's ugly.
              Is it's looks effecting, i
              t's hauling?
              it's towing?
              It's ability to do work on a job site?

looks are an opinion thing. and I doubt anyone looking for a truck to haul/tow/make money with, really cares that is doesn't look like a sports car

Comment

Not AS ugly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iris.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1231047

Comment

Not AS ugly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iris.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1231047
                  opinions are like, well you know.

Comment

O.K. James, you win. This thread is a dumb idea and I never should have started it...… NOT!

Comment

O.K. James, you win. This thread is a dumb idea and I never should have started it...… NOT!
                      We get it, you don't like g.m.
                      Clearly you'll by on looks. and not what and if the unit can do what you need.

Comment

We went to the regional auto show yesterday and actually looked at all of the trucks.... Didn't like any of them.... Too damn big and too damned expensive... Tammy didn't like any of the interiors or seating positions either! I guess that we will continue to rebuild our real trucks that do the work!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Does anybody still make a basic "non-accessorized" work truck anymore ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            Does anybody still make a basic "non-accessorized" work truck anymore ?

Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

$50k for a mom-cab shortbox that can't do any work?

You could have just said 'No', and saved the time.

(After screwing with it for a few minutes, I made a reasonable stripper for $35k that you could actually consider a work truck. Still a fairly tall stack of bills, to me.)
                              Last edited by AndyB; February 10, 2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

No
                                nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Working...
                                X