NASCAR's JIMMIE JOHNSON . . . Has lost "the touch."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR's JIMMIE JOHNSON . . . Has lost "the touch."

The massive Bruab fan club undoubtedly missed the real motor race yesterday . . . The Clash at Daytona. Not that it was all that great of a show . . . . A lot of rain delays and single-file parade . . . Until the aging HMS driver Jimmie Johnson attempted a "side draft" of the leader. Cue the big one.

To anyone not completely in the bag for Hendrick Motor Sports, Chevy and/or Johnson, it was obvious that the old 48 had another senior moment of less-than-complete control of his automobile. Just as at the "Roval" race last fall, Jimmie's head wrote a check that his fading skills couldn't cash.

The actuarial tables are all against Johnson at this point. All of the other seven-time champions -- to whom the 48 is most often compared -- were in decline by his advanced age. And Johnson's apparent P.I.T. maneuver on the leader is hardly evidence of anything but degrading talent, if not desperation (for the record, the 48 went winless in 2017).

The NASCAR apologists, of course, cannot see what should be obvious. The 48 gets a pass because it's the 48. And a Chevy (in a recent age when Chevy has been particularly uncompetitive at most objective metrics in the sport) . And from the elite Hendrick organization.

I didn't watch it but I read about it after the fact and saw the Big One photo. One solution would be to finally remove the restrictor plates and move the few remaining fans to the top four or five rows of the remaining grandstands for safety.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

All the headlines are saying Johnson hosed it. I don't think the bias you fear exists.

Oh, and Pomona was rained out, but nice to see you still harbor an unjustified hatred of the founders of this forum you are inexplicably drawn to.
      Last edited by RockJustRock; February 11, 2019, 01:16 PM.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

pDub . . . technically, the Daytona 500 is the last "restrictor plate" race . . . after that they're going to something called a "tapered spacer." The egg-heads try to school us on the difference at the link below.

More drag and a more production-based engine formula would also tend to address the problem.

The Clash seldom is a good race . . . too few cars on track . . . not enough time for much strategy to develop. Factor in the rain delays and the excessive grip of the surface ( https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/...-clash-daytona ) , and only a handful of drivers (most notably Stewart-Haas Racing’s Daniel Suarez and Penske's Joey Logano) were able to pass with any regularity -- at least without body slamming 48-style . . . . .
        NASCAR announced the 2019 rules package last week. Reactions from fans ranged from wait-and-see to despair to a surprising amount of anger.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Oh, and Pomona was rained out,
          That was kind of the joke . . . everyone going on and on in that other thread about the GREAT ONE (https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...88-our-tv-star ) -- albeit from an earlier day -- and there being nothing to compete with Daytona yesterday because of even worse weather in sunny SoCal . . . .

I didn't know having a man-crush on Bruab was necessary to posting on this forum.
          Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; February 11, 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

I didn't know having a man-crush on Bruab was necessary to posting on this forum.
            I've never thought about it that way, but it could be considered as such I guess. It's charisma. Lohnes has got it, Turk has got it. Through talent and accomplishment. The folks who have it maybe didn't necessarily want it. The thought line is, how many folks wake up in the morning and think, "Today I'm gonna go out get me some charisma." It's a combination of talent and accomplishment and character, with character perhaps being the utmost largest component. That can't be bought and it can't be forced. And folks who have it probably are not even aware of it.

Comment

That was kind of the joke . . . everyone going on and on in that other thread about the GREAT ONE (https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...88-our-tv-star ) -- albeit from an earlier day -- and there being nothing to compete with Daytona yesterday because of even worse weather in sunny SoCal . . . .

Anti-Social. Either share in the hate or stand accused of homosexual intent. I poked some fun at Brian in that thread. Not enough, I guess.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	brace-yourselves-a-v62n6y.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1231405
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Whoa, RJR, back it down a notch .. .
                  Man crush
                  noun
                  informal
                  a. an intense but non-sexual admiration felt by one man for another
                  b. a man who is the object of such admiration
                  ( Emphasis added) https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...lish/man-crush

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    "Today I'm gonna go out get me some charisma." .
                    Yankee lover!

(Youngsters that's an old-timey SOUTHERN joke . . . Back when it wasn't the end-'o-the-world and a "federal case" to admit a bit of affinity for the general superiority of some of Rebel culture (not all -- put those dumb pointy hats and Holiday Inn bed-sheets away ), about one of the plum worst things you could say about about a good ol' boy on the PROPER SIDE of the Mason-Dixon was that they "wuz" a closet Yankee . . . . )

Comment

Yankee lover!
                      Well I'm married to one (Pittsburgh). The first time I ever met her dad he said I didn't talk all that strange like most of the other rednecks do. I was holding back, nervous, acting at the time, trying to play a role in a foreign place.
                      Last edited by pdub; February 11, 2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Well now I'm sure you introduced her to the finer points of Southern style and got her head right . . . . Better late than never.

BTW, we were just having a conversation last week about how many folks tend to vary their accents and speech patterns based on what part of the world they're visiting . . .

Bringing this back to automobiles (some folks seem to require that) . . . one of the big knocks on Jimmie Johnson over the years is that if Dale Earnhardt Sr. was what central casting would have sent up as a good ol' boy in the mold of most of the early Southern-to-the-core stars of NASCAR, Jimmie Johnson is antithesis . . . a dang Californian that reportedly has a palatial spread in a Manhattan high rise . . . .

That's about as far away from Junior Johnson and Wilkes County as a "metrosexual"**man can get and still be in the lower 48 . . . .

Metrosexual is a portmanteau of metropolitan and heterosexual, coined in 1994 describing a man (especially one living in an urban, post-industrial, capitalist culture) who is especially meticulous about his grooming and appearance, typically spending a significant amount of time and money on shopping as part of this
                        Thanks wiki . . . .
                        The Manhattan home of NASCAR star Jimmie Johnson and his wife, Chandra, is a mellow mix of top-flight art and family-friendly comfort

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                          Turk has got it..
                          And all this time I just thought Turk had a 'roid flaimin' up or some other kind of burr under his saddle (Southwestern slang . . . just imagine the late Dennis Weaver as "Chester" twangin' it out . . . . . )

(DISCLAIMER: The foregoing are JOKES and any similarity to any persons living or deceased is merely coincidental)

Comment

Johnson......I for sure didn't coin the phrase but I wish I did - "Robot."

What the robots lack is .... what is it? It's .... it's something that would make you want to hang out with them. Humor? Something, something intangible. From what I've read, those two kids on the front row for Sunday's big race, I've literally never heard of them. Whoever they are, when they were born I already had 20-something years in at the paper mill.

Comment

It's just the passing of time. That level of disgust used to be reserved for Jeff Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                              X