This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockAuto - part deux

OK, I just wanted to share my experience I had with them in the last few days.
    I order some parts for my truck back in November. When they came I visually inspected them and everything seemed OK.
    Last week, I actually went to install the strut rod bushings and low and behold they don't fit.
    I looked up my application to verify that I didn't have one of my stupid attacks.
    I attempted to use their online system to get assistance and the only option available was a warranty replacement. Since these were brand new never installed, that didn't seem right to me. So I emailed their support group and laid out my sad story and instantly got back their canned response - no returns after 30 days. I responded and asked them if that even applies to mistakes in their catalog. No answer (but it was the weekend). This morning, I called Federal Mogul and ask them what bushings I should be using as the ones I bought did not fit my truck. The guy started off with "I have worked here 20 years and we have sold a ton of those and never had an issue. In a brief moment of restraint, I started to quote him some numbers (thickness, diameter) of my frame brackets and then told him about the installation diagram (no lawyers need yet) that showed an entirely different frame bracket. He said hold on I need to go look at something. A few minutes passed and he came back and said - when they created the online catalog, they omitted a foot note that the particular set that I bought only fit from mid-year 79 to 86. I then asked him which set would work for my 66 truck. He provided me with two part numbers to choose from. WHILE I was on the phone with him, I got an email from Federal Mogul telling me that the bushings I had ordered were in fact the correct fit for my application! I responded to that email with the info I had just gotten from another one of their techs - no response to that email as yet.

I then sent this info to RockAuto and within a few minutes got an email back stating that they have confirmed the mistake in the catalog with Federal Mogul and will be sending me the info to return the part as a 1 time exception to their return policy.

Sooo, I am out $6 for shipping the old part back but that is better than where I expected to be on Sunday.

I absolutely hate the Rock Auto website.......period.

I use Summit for most all the parts for my '55 Chevy..........their return policy, I think, is the best.
    I've returned items a year later, under warranty, and they take it back.........no questions asked.
    I keep all receipts and that's all you need for returns.

My other vehicles.........I normally go to Advanced Auto........only because they've got a couple of counter guys
    who 'get it'.
    They will match up pricing and returns are easy.

I think, no matter the product, people tend to buy where they know they can return the product if they have a problem.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

if my parts ever arrive, I'll have saved $40. I'm okay with that, it's ball joints for my Corvette - so odds are pretty good I won't need them before the snow melts.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Their commercials SUCK and that guitar chick with the bendy legs is creepy.

Comment

I always tell vendors NO WAY am I doing anything to correct their mistake. You shouldn't have to send anything anywhere. Get the refund for the wrong part then tell them you MIGHT use it to order the right one.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

So, it's their fault, you waited passed the 30 days.
            You can't walk into your local parts store and return special ordered parts (not normally stocked parts) 30 days after the fact either.
            It's also not like rock auto or any local parts house hide this policy.
            Good luck returning special ordered parts at your local jobber. 3+ months later.
            nevermind a manufacture close out.
            When I was working at Advanced, we took special order returns only if it was the wrong part , either boxed wrong, or we ordered it wrong. and you had 7 days.
            after that, you ate it if we could not return it. and if by chance it could be returned YOU ate the restocking fee.
            Only the business accounts that did business daily. got to slide on this. but we made what ever the restocking fee's we ate, back in a day, not giving as big a discount to that shop. for a day or two.
            It amazes me. that people go to get parts at the cheapest place they can, don't read the policies. on returns then complain.
            At advanced, we even had to tell people no returns on special ordered electrical parts. and then they still bitch when we told them sorry, you're stuck with it.
            And they wonder why retail employees go postal.
            Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; February 11, 2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

And they wonder why the local stores get no business, and online are eating their lunch.

I'll pay more for something locally if I can get it right now. I'll pay more for good customer care. But when the attitude is '#### you, that's not our rules'? Meh. I can get it cheaper elsewhere if I can wait for it, and if I'm getting it cheaply, I'm okay with worse customer service.

Customer service is all I do. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                So, it's their fault, you waited passed the 30 days.
                You can't walk into your local parts store and return special ordered parts (not normally stocked parts) 30 days after the fact either.
                It's also not like rock auto or any local parts house hide this policy.
                Good luck returning special ordered parts at your local jobber. 3+ months later.
                nevermind a manufacture close out.
                When I was working at Advanced, we took special order returns only if it was the wrong part , either boxed wrong, or we ordered it wrong. and you had 7 days.
                after that, you ate it if we could not return it. and if by chance it could be returned YOU ate the restocking fee.
                Only the business accounts that did business daily. got to slide on this. but we made what ever the restocking fee's we ate, back in a day, not giving as big a discount to that shop. for a day or two.
                It amazes me. that people go to get parts at the cheapest place they can, don't read the policies. on returns then complain.
                At advanced, we even had to tell people no returns on special ordered electrical parts. and then they still bitch when we told them sorry, you're stuck with it.
                And they wonder why retail employees go postal.
                couple of fact checks for you
                1. It was not a special order part
                2. It was incorrectly labeled in their catalog to fit my application.

The purpose in my post was to point out that in fact they made an exception and allowed me to return it after their policy end date. For normal, I am fixing this today, projects, a 30 day return policy makes sense. For a frame-off rebuild - not so much. I like to have the parts I know I am going to use on the shelf so when I get hung up on some part of the project I can switch gears and work on another part.

Comment

I am a big proponent of "easy to do business with" regardless of what the policies are/state. If a Company wants repeat business, they give the customer the impression they are "easy to do business with". The financial exposure to returns after 30 days with a company the size of Rock Auto is nil. I have used both RA and Summit. That RA 30 day return policy always grates on me. As I have a day job, I'm don't get up in the morning waiting for RA parts to arrive.

I have also found 'incorrectly' listed parts on RA, people make mistakes I get it. I use RA because the search function is pretty good as well as the prices. Summit is by far the best regarding returns as I have received refunds far beyond 30 days for parts that were supposed to fit, that I 'modified to fit', but failed and subsequently returned to them.
                  nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

couple of fact checks for you
                    1. It was not a special order part
                    2. It was incorrectly labeled in their catalog to fit my application.

The purpose in my post was to point out that in fact they made an exception and allowed me to return it after their policy end date. For normal, I am fixing this today, projects, a 30 day return policy makes sense. For a frame-off rebuild - not so much. I like to have the parts I know I am going to use on the shelf so when I get hung up on some part of the project I can switch gears and work on another part.
                    you posted you ordered in nov. it is now feb 2019.
                    They are an auto parts retailer. not a resto house. that expects buyers to stock up parts for months before they might do a rebuild.
                    BET THEY WHERE MANUFACTURE CLOSE OUT... as they have the 30 day return policy.
                    WHEN YOU ORDERED you AGREED to the policies of the retailer. including returns.
                    YET it is their fault. that 3 months later you go to install and they are wrong.
                    Let me guess your the type that buy sheet metal and not check it for damage, correct part until 4 months later.
                    I have parts that I bought 6 months ago that will go on this spring, but.. I checked that they are the correct part when they showed up. part # correct. part in box correct. and look like what is on the car that is being replaced.
                    Even my SRP pistons. got miked. and double checked. same with any parts.
                    Take it as lesson learned. user error. if you double checked even if the part # on the box is wrong or part is wrong you'd have fixed the issue within the return policy time limit.
                    Go to your local autoparts retailer and buy from there, you didn't as they cost more. why because of overhead, that you are unwilling to pay, and why you ordered from a discount online retailer.
                    We deal with customers that beat us up on prices and then blast us when we can't be bothered with your cheapness.
                    Everytime a person wants a part we don't normally stock be a special order or not. We are to make sure to ask 3 times to makes sure the customer knows what they are asking for and want. and then it is still advanced employee that is/was wrong when the customer ordered or tells us to order the wrong part.
                    Again there is a reason retail employees go postal.
                    Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; February 12, 2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Shesh ... Part Deux is now done too.

Comment

Working...
                      X