Drills -- What's wrong with us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drills -- What's wrong with us?

Specifically, drill bits. Though, after spending too much time around machinists, they're just drills. Adding "bits" gets you the side-eye. Dunno why.

Anyhow! Why do we buy right-handed drills? Right-handed drills make holes in whatever material. So do left-handed ones, and the holes are exactly the same. But when it really, genuinely matters which direction they twist, it nearly always means they really need to turn to the left. Usually because we're trying to get a broken bolt/stud/screw out.

I can very easily put my hands on probably 100 drills in my garage. And all but I think one are right-handed. The oddball was specifically purchased after the head parted company with a fastener, and I had to remove it the hard way. It made me think though--why aren't they all that way? I mean, one of the reasons why the majority of my drills are right-handed is because that's what's available cheaply and easily, and cheap drills are fine for the majority of things I do. There's times where a stubby set of amazing quality ones is the only thing that will do, but that's 2% of the time in my garage. It makes me think that we're all doing things wrong, from the manufacturers right down the line. The default choice should be cut leftwards, as it'll work just the same when you're poking holes in stuff, but it would mean that you'd always have the appropriate size to break off in a bo.... to try to remove a broken fastener.

What's wrong with us!?

Bought a left cutting bit, it ran away before I ever got to use it...

Comment

I have to agree . I have 2 left drills . One at work and one at home .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
        Specifically, drill bits. Though, after spending too much time around machinists, they're just drills. Adding "bits" gets you the side-eye.
        The drill is the machine the bit goes into .. just because machinists use them all the time, does not make their slang correct. Also, there are all types of bits (e.g. Screwdriver, lathe, etc.), so specifically saying "drill bit" is just good communication practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

The drill is the machine the bit goes into .. just because machinists use them all the time, does not make their slang correct. Also, there are all types of bits (e.g. Screwdriver, lathe, etc.), so specifically saying "drill bit" is just good communication practice.
          I think arguably they're "twist drills" rather than "drill bits", as "bit" refers to the older style, a la "bit and brace" sorta thing. Dunno, machinists are weird sorts!

More importantly, I think the default should obviously be a left-handed version.

Comment

Most drills (the machine) I've seen lately have a rotation direction selector switch, that allows the operator to chose what direction the drill bit (the cutting tool) turns, so what's the problem ?

Comment

I think the reason for a majority of bits to be right-handed is due to the fact that most chucks are right-handed and tighten to the right. Left-handed rotation is counter productive to the tool making them turn.........that make any sense?
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 12, 2019, 07:40 AM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I've never had a drill press with left hand rotation though the ones in the shop at work did. Even my big Delta is fixed rotation (right). My guess would be that the convention was set and now we slavishly follow it. But you make a good point.

Dan

Comment

Is there such a thing as a concentric counter rotating drill? Kind of like those two bladed sawszalls?
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Let's face it - drills are boring.

Dan

Comment

is that the hole truth?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Unless you have a different twist on it.

Dan

Comment

screwing the wrong way?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I bought a set of snap on lefty’s with extractors. In my opinion they are no better than ones you get at a parts store. Wat makes it worse it 1/4 and under is not lifetime replacement

Comment

I can sharpen a right hand drill bit on a grinder. I wonder if I could do a lefty?

I don't have any to try it on. Strange, I've never bought any. I've been breaking bolts for decades.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X