USS Hornet Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Hornet Found

The under water photos are pretty darn cool........one showing the International Harvester tractor intact
    My dad's ship served with the same air group as the USS Hornet during the war

The wreck of the World War II aircraft carrier USS Hornet (CV-8) has been discovered off the Solomon Islands by a research organization set up by the late billionaire Paul Allen.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

WOW! That whole pile is incredibly barnacle-free. How can that be? And that Harvester tractor....what the.....It's just sitting there. it must have been strapped down, and maybe they used that as an aircraft tug? That is amazing!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      WOW! That whole pile is incredibly barnacle-free. How can that be? And that Harvester tractor....what the.....It's just sitting there. it must have been strapped down, and maybe they used that as an aircraft tug? That is amazing!
      That tractor is amazing..............pretty sure it's the deep cold water that preserves everything.
      On another note.........I still remember my dad talking about the kamikaze attacks they came under, one of the scariest moments for a sailor
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

That tractor is amazing..............pretty sure it's the deep cold water that preserves everything.
        On another note.........I still remember my dad talking about the kamikaze attacks they came under, one of the scariest moments for a sailor
        My dad didn't see action due to his age at the time. He trained as a tail gunner on a B-17 and then the war got over. He didn't regret his luck at all. But he liked flying, he sure did.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Great thread, thanks!
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Unreal how well preserved that is. Thanks for sharing this, Monk!
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Dad never talked of his time in the Phillapines..
              Might have if I could hear or joined up myself.

Comment

Working...
              X