Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What car would you build to piss off purists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Gorgeous wagon Scott! I need the hood and air cleaner.........got any leads on one?
    Air Cleaner: https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/C230129...SABEgLuWvD_BwE
    Hood: https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1972/sh.../hood/CT20008/ , https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964...ass-442/bb391t (NOTE: The W-25 hood pin kit (# AS105SET) and hood springs (# BB4) are necessary to attach this hood at the front of the car since this hood has no provision for the center hood catch (failure to do so could result in hood damage). or https://americansportscar.com/produc...1971-1972-442/

The only difference between the W31 350 engine air cleaner and the W30 455 is that the hood seal is 3/8" taller for the W31....
    Last edited by silver_bullet; February 18, 2019, 06:23 AM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I am aware of the aftermarket but am dreaming about a NOS......I found one for $3K.......LOL. that ain't happening. Hopefully somebody has a spare one.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        That's an easy question. I'd put a blower on a 2006 Mustang GT, otherwise stock. That'll do it.
        Isn't stock if it's got a brake kit on it, is it?

Dunno why anyone cares what other folks drive, personally. I may look at some cars as a waste of good parts (or worse, bad parts), I may think someone is an idiot for making the choices they made... but hell, it's theirs. So long as it isn't actually unsafe and dangerous to be on the road next to me, we're good. Certainly, I could give a damn what anyone thinks about what I do with my own stuff (with the exception of people who have input that I value, i.e., the wife, my friends, etc).

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I am aware of the aftermarket but am dreaming about a NOS......I found one for $3K.......LOL. that ain't happening. Hopefully somebody has a spare one.
          I kinda figured as much, but "spares" don't seem to exist anymore..... That's why I did some quick research....OPG seems to be the one stop shop from what I found....From what I was able to glean, you will need the hood, hood locks, brackets that attach the locks to the radiator support, low tension hood springs, and the air filter assembly.... quite the shopping list....
          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Yeah, and pricey too. The reason for my "as I can afford it" remark. But like everything else, I'll save for it.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yeah, and pricey too. The reason for my "as I can afford it" remark. But like everything else, I'll save for it.
              Keep an eye out for their specials.... right now there's free shipping on orders over 59 bucks.... those savings would add up!
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Apparently anything I build that has a certain national racing decal on it will send some "purists"(at least at this forum) into orbit

Comment

I've actually had this thought for a while. I would take a 63' split window, put a cowl hood on it with 427 emblems, and put a ford sohc motor/top loader/9" in it.
                  how many people would that piss off?
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                    I've actually had this thought for a while. I would take a 63' split window, put a cowl hood on it with 427 emblems, and put a ford sohc motor/top loader/9" in it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	shocked.gif
Views:	75
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1233019

Duuuuude... Remind me never to piss you off. Evil and creative!
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I would build a ROLLS-ROYCE monster truck powered by an alky snorting HEMI.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                        I think the truest test of beating purists is that the modification remains long after they are gone.... I know Barris is still around, yet the Monkeymobile.... how many GTO purists has that car pissed off over the ages, yet no one has cut it back apart and made it 'pure'.... or Gas Monkey, cutting up a triple black 427 Corvette for a Hot wheels car.... it sold for more money then its stock equivalent.

Sure that would garner you some hate, but the next owner would buy the car for a song and convert it back.... to me that's the fine line between hateful and creative. Hateful barely survives its generation, creative survives the test of time.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 18, 2019, 04:15 PM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There is a long time member of the Studebaker Drivers Club who owns an early 70's Corvette with a Studebaker Champion inline flathead 6 under the hood. He gets lots of looks at Stude club meets, and plenty of head scratching and snorts of derision at Corvette and multi-make meets. He doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks - he's having fun driving it and getting good mileage. Does this count?
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I know Barris is still around, yet the Monkeymobile....
                            Dean Jeffries gets proper credit for this one . . . although because Barris touched it, he claims it This apparently riled Jeffries a tad

That's one of many bad spots in regards to that man [Barris]. He sure does take credit, but he had nothing to do with it. I made the car. Every bit of it. He also says he made the Green Hornet's car, still does to this day. He puts his name on a lot of things he had nothing at all to do with.

With yesterday's unexpected death of the Monkees' onetime-hearthrob Davy Jones, there has naturally been a resurgence of interest in the amazing, funhouse-mirror version of the Pontiac GTO that was the Monkeemobile.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	buick8 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1233094
                              I would do another Buick but with a 454 inch LSX under the hood-which would enrage the entire Buick community to the point of never speaking to me again!
                              67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                              05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Where to start?
                                1. 64 Galaxie 500 XL... Kinda rust free, had 6 lug hubs on the front. no title.
                                I used to walk out in the arena when introductions were going on.. Somebody was banging on the cyclone fence and throwing rocks at me yelling "I coulda restored that" later my daughter going into the arena for the main with me riding the fender fixing it on the go..
                                2. 58 Edsel wagon... Pretty decent. Was froze up every way to Sunday,
                                Getting gas at the station on the way, had a couple guys all pissed, yelling What? No idea but grabbed the binder tool and pretended to retighten the binders till we left
                                3. 60 Ford 2 door, almost no floors. 79 front clip grafted as early FOMOCO's were hard to drop in chevys without going carb level with hood and 1 hole into the firewall.
                                Then we almost come to blows.. We had 5 big guys with our bunch. And the mad guys had no idea what they were ranting about. Almost near the end one guy asks another "what is it?". Duhhh

Got a 59 Freeway Flyer Merc in the wings as well as a 57 Ford 4 door wagon.. Somebody stole a front door off it.

Comment

Working...
                                X