Crowds of folks on the starting line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowds of folks on the starting line.

Was watching light out 10 on Livestream. Great racing and Brian is announcing.

But when did it become a thing to have 40 people standing around the starting line? Does it really take this many folks to stage a car these days? Some of the shots reminded my of old street or Rally racing footage. .lol.

" You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

It used to be worse. The grandstands between the waterboxes helped. There used to be downtime when marshals had the starting line cleared. Personally I like the view better 60' out. I like to read what is lettered on the cars, something many cameramen overlook.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Having a zillion people on the starting line is a major pet peeve for me.

From the bits of LO10 I watched, that wasn't the case. There's a weird foreshortening effect going on, and there's a barrier in place, so people are actually behind the water box. I'll assume that the later rounds or the grudge races allowed that to change to the more normal condtion of having not just a bunch of spectators in the way, but also having more crew than the entire Funny Car class at a typical National event.

Being able to find the starting line in less than 20 minutes without help should be part of getting your competition lisence tests. As for all the spectators, it makes me desperately sad that I don't have a small amount of nitro in my fuel, just to see 800 real tough guys sobbing from the fumes.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	47FF15AA-F780-44A4-81D7-F353962721D4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	1232687

Back in the day all Jungle needed was Pam
        ​​​​​​​
        Last edited by Monk; February 16, 2019, 09:27 PM.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

For me the staging bit isn't time consuming, it's the wheelie bars. Of course radial cars don't have them for reasons I don't understand.

Comment

Why is there always a guy walking next the car pushing it as it does its burnout? And does it have to be a guy that looks like he couldn't get out of his own way? Pretty sure I'd get uninvited from my track if we did that.

Comment

In the old days when people used line loc two guys would hold the car from sliding sideways out of the water. Now? Some people just live for the stage.

Wait.... If you're talking big show pro cars they get pushed off for burnouts because they don't like to looad the clutch hard before the actual launch.
              Last edited by RockJustRock; February 17, 2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK View Post
                Why is there always a guy walking next the car pushing it as it does its burnout? And does it have to be a guy that looks like he couldn't get out of his own way? Pretty sure I'd get uninvited from my track if we did that.
                No idea! There's not a hope in hell they're going to have any control if the car suddenly finds a bit of grip on one side, and they're mostly just pushing it gently--you can't apply much force with your feet that close to the car and your arm outstretched; you'd need to be braced heavily and even then you're not going to have any input if the car decides to really jump sideways.

More importantly, if you're capable of driving a seriously quick race car, you should be qualified to do a stationary burnout, you'd think?

One person past the beginning of the burnout box, that's all that should normally be allowed. In fact, that's usually in the actual rules. One person to put extra eyes on the car in case of trouble, flip the fuel system switch, start the logger, help find the groove, etc. Thirty-seventeen people are not necessary. It's part of what I detest about grudge racing, which seems to be the worst offenders about having to have everyone's 'crew' on the starting line. One good explosion on the line, and you'd think people would know better. Hell, I don't want to be anywhere NEAR the machine on the line or in the water, though I've helped newcomers to the track see where they need to be and what they're doing up there... but that was after a good explaination in staging and talking them through (and quizzing them back to ensure they did know what was going on!).

Comment

Well, the winternationals only had 9% of the stands sold. the NHRA id floundering and these lights out and no prep races. are full in the stands /pits and starting line.
                  Maybe some are doing something right., I'm sure the nhra when they finally figure out no one wants to see their type events, they'll ban crews and fans from the starting lanes. at member tracks.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen. ..Tim McAmis.

Last edited by Hoffbug; July 18, 2019, 07:51 AM.
                    " You can sleep in your car, But you cant drive your house"

Comment

Working...
                    X