X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Related Collection

Over the years I've collected different car related 'stuff'
    Parts, old Hot Rod mags etc...........still collect vinyl records

Not sure how the gauge thing started but I always like SunTachs but could never afford one
    Having one back in the day was a big deal........many 'day two' cars all had 'em installed.

Over the years it just grew.........then Ebay starting driving the prices up and I pretty much quit.........every now and then I'll get a call
    from someone looking for a particular make & model

Any other forum freaks have a car related passion that grew?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tachs a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1232815

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I used to have a tunnel ram and a pair of 660s as a living room sculpture.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      I used to have a tunnel ram and a pair of 660s as a living room sculpture.
      I get it............had the 409 block sitting in my hobby room, on the stand, for a year before I decided to build it

Name:	409project2 a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1232841
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Part of my stuff is in the living room and that's part of the reason I'm building Mary a car.............

Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 17, 2019, 02:59 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          Part of my stuff is in the living room and that's part of the reason I'm building Mary a car.............

Nice!
          Thom

Comment

Not really. I'm not much of a collector though I DO like to have a spare engine for whatever I'm racing. I had 5 ea. 215 aluminum V8s - 1 Olds and 4 Buicks - when I ran them in the Vega. Then 3 250 Chevy sixes when I ran them in the Camaro, and now a spare OM617 Mercedes for Mutt the Race Truck.

And Monk - the oil pressure gage is still doing its thing perfectly.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Not really. I'm not much of a collector though I DO like to have a spare engine for whatever I'm racing. I had 5 ea. 215 aluminum V8s - 1 Olds and 4 Buicks - when I ran them in the Vega. Then 3 250 Chevy sixes when I ran them in the Camaro, and now a spare OM617 Mercedes for Mutt the Race Truck.

And Monk - the oil pressure gage is still doing its thing perfectly.

Dan
              Good deal Dan....those aluminum V8’s were
              pretty cool back in the day
              Thom

Comment

License plates. As a kid I would find one along the road or something, then I went to a school along a river where old cars were dumped and I'd make a Sunday morning of remove the plates as souvenirs. Have collected them, sorta, ever since. Photo is of game room, see ceiling. I may have 2-300 around here total.

Name:	DSC07938.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1232911

Comment

What year is your oldest plate ?

Comment

At lower center is a "CAL" w/ no apparent date. Who knows. At quick glance I seem to have three 1914 California's up there, and a '15.

The collecting "rule" was, no just going out and buying plates...although I've broken that quite a few times when I saw something I liked at a swap meet, etc. Never anything with a high price on it. The best ones have a story, such as the NEB 1919 came from an old friend who years ago traveled to meet her grandfather and he had a number of old plates covering rat holes in the barn...she asked if she could have one to bring back to me and he gave her a couple in nice condition. He figured I wouldn't want any of his bent ones...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07940.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	1232975

Most old stuff I have is pretty ratty. This red 1914 below probably came from the Pomona swap meet in the '90s. Some came via my oldest brother who among other things discovered an old dump while hiking in the woods and retrieved a number of rusty '30s - '40s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07942.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	1232976

The Northwest Territories came from a swap meet, was never mounted. Iowa came from a farmer when I traveled through there w/ GF at age 20. Yukon came from Alaska, driving from Whitehorse to Fairbanks w/ parents when I was 14 or so, there was a sign for a dump along the highway and I begged us to stop and see if there were any old vehicles with plates. CA 42 came if I recall correctly from a truck in a collector's yard when I was in boarding school, if a plate wasn't perfect he didn't want it and said to go ahead, pull it off. Yuc Mex is from Yucatan Peninsula, traveling/camping for a week in my teens. I flew back on Aero Mexico or whatever it was, the customs guy in Los Angeles saw that thing when he opened my suitcase and I'd just bought myself a bonus couple-minutes of being grilled by a Federal Officer. Being as it was not current he let me keep it, anyhow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07943.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	1232977

My probable favorite plate, I'm not finding right now, it's...somewhere... At age 24 I was driving through Arizona in my El Camino w/ camper shell and there was a sign along the I-10, "Leaving AZ - Old Stuff for Sale". I had to go miles to the next offramp, find my way back, go more miles up a dirt road to a rusty gate where I was met by, literally the stereotypical bearded old man with a shotgun in my face. Be cool, hands halfway up... He had actually decided not to move and forgotten he'd put the sign out. I wound up spending an amazing hour with this guy around his old dirt-floor shack with newspaper for wallpaper, hearing stories and watching him dig around for that '30s AZ copper plate he knew he had...when he finally found it he wanted $5. I think I gave him $8. I would later ruin the damn thing by wire-brushing the original patina off of it (dumb kid) but it's still my favorite, just because of the story.
                    Last edited by Loren; February 18, 2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed your stories.

Comment

Automotive magazines and automotive books. My favorite stuff is 60+ years old.

Auto parts store display advertising . . . .

Also, certain vehicles from the 1980s, but that's a different topic . . . .

My guess is that it will mostly go to the recycling bin and the crusher when I'm gone . . . .

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if more old car magazines were online, preferably for free? Might inspire people to buy new magazines and digital subscrptions. It's just when I see this at first I think it would be cool to have all my old magazines, then I think it would be cooler to not have to.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if more old car magazines were online, preferably for free?
                            Three things likely prevent a lot of that RJR:

1. Maintaining a website isn't free.
                            2. Copyright laws.
                            3. Some of the old stuff really makes a lot of the now stuff look cheap and superficial.

(Sorry DF and friends, but the new publishing & on-line worlds you've created in the past 25 years or so don't match up so well in a lot of ways to what used to be taken for granted . . . .and easier access to the vintage stuff just emphasizes how lousy some of the current publications have become . . . . )

Comment

1) Publishers make money from magazines and advertising.
                              2) Publishers own their copyrights.
                              3)There will always be new car magazines. Hot Rod didn't cover EFI very well in 1969.

I don't maintain any digital subscriptions now. I would subscribe to any (well maybe not Rodent Rack) that would include access to an archive to 1960. I think a lot of people would. Plus cementing their past would improve the outlook for them in the future.
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; February 18, 2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X