X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Pump Jockeys

Who's part of the fraternity?
    Pumped at a Gulf and Phillips 66 station

Gas was about 20-25 cents........pump gas, wash windshield, check oil, radiator and air

Here's one of the stations.........we sold lots of Firestone tires as well and tractor tires
    Pumps are now gone

Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1233448
    Attached Files
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

I worked at a Clark and some Martins. Then came self serve.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

In 1971 I worked at a Certified cheapy station in Columbus Ohio while a senior in high school-on a gas war I pumped full serve regular at 17.9 per gallon. THOSE were the days before the first oil embargo!
      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        I worked at a Clark and some Martins. Then came self serve.
        We had a Martin station later after I graduated in '67........just gas no bays for wrenching
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by stage1scott View Post
          In 1971 I worked at a Certified cheapy station in Columbus Ohio while a senior in high school-on a gas war I pumped full serve regular at 17.9 per gallon. THOSE were the days before the first oil embargo!
          Gas wars.........man I remember them..........I thin 18.9 is the cheapest I remember
          Can't remember the times folks would pull and ask for a dollars worth
          Thom

Comment

I worked the pumps at Hank Byer's Skyway 66 (Phillips 66) station in St. Petersburg, FL for a few months. Hank actually TRAINED us! We were to run out to the pump (the goal was to be at the driver's window by the time the wheels stopped rolling) and say "Good morning, afternoon or evening sir or madam (as the case may be). Fill 'er up with with (whatever the brand name was for premium)?" It was interesting how often people would say - "Um - sure" when you knew they had no intention of either a fill up OR premium which was, of course, the idea. I trained with kind of a moron who began his first solo by saying "Good morning afternoon or evening sir or madam as the case may be. Fill 'er up with XXX?" He required retraining.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; February 20, 2019, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Not sure this counts.

Early 80s, at 10 years old I pumped gas for a summer at my grandfather's Exxon station. I was the 4th generation to do so, my great grandfather having opened a Mobil station in the 30s. He built a new 4 bay station and opened it as an Esso in 1948. They also did towing, repairs, sold parts and used cars. My father and 5 uncles all wrenched there in high school and years after before moving on to other careers. Lots of good stories from that place.

Comment

Western Auto doesn't count because we had no pumps. Plenty of tires, batteries, shocks and wrenching, though . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                  Western Auto doesn't count because we had no pumps. Plenty of tires, batteries, shocks and wrenching, though . . . .
                  Aw man Western Auto!..... purchased my first set of mud flaps for my bike there in late ‘50’s
                  Later bought car parts there AND played on the Western Auto Babe Ruth ball team
                  Thom

Comment

I had a cool bike my dad bought for me from Western Auto. In the 90s it was like they were pulling old stock from out back. I would go in there and find cool auto accessories and decals from the 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK View Post
                      I had a cool bike my dad bought for me from Western Auto. In the 90s it was like they were pulling old stock from out back. I would go in there and find cool auto accessories and decals from the 60s.
                      The go to place for bike stuff back in the day
                      Thom

Comment

Zullo's Shell in Dearborn, Mi. -started out at $1.25/hr - lied about my age to get the job - winters of 10th, 11th, and 12th. grade. Riding Stables in the summers, more fun, more chicks.
                        Last edited by 70chevyC-10; February 21, 2019, 06:53 AM.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

The go-to place for bike stuff back in the day
                          That's for sure. Ours had little glass bins that were supported by chrome fittings. I thought they were magic! One bin had red reflectors, another one universal points sets that could be made to work with almost any distributor. Nifty stuff when you're 12.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Ours had little glass bins that were supported by chrome fittings. I thought they were magic!
                            Getting flashbacks . . . They weren't so magic when you had to restock them after the weekly (?!) truck came in (Try to imagine a supply chain now that could survive on only weekly shipments . . . . )

It was always a bit sad to find some bicycle merch or a Christmas toy as detritus over in the customer waiting area, because you knew some poor little kid had made an unsuccessful plea to a parent for a new bit . . . and you had to walk that stuff over to the other side of the store to re-shelve it . . . .

I was also convinced that many youngsters were just physically incapable of ogling something and then putting it back in the bin where they found it . . . Just one bin or hook off . . . .

Comment

These must have been 'company' stores.

Click image for larger version  Name:	garage.JPG Views:	2 Size:	320.9 KB ID:	1233448

It looks exactly like the Phillips 66 I worked at part-time in high school.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X