The Case of the Broken Basketball Shoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case of the Broken Basketball Shoe

The winter that seems like it will never end. I'm sure haven't watched basketball in 40 years. I'm reading and watching about this guy, a freshman, He's the greatest sensation ever. And it's the greatest rivalry in college basketball. Okay, I'll bite. There's nothing else to do here, it's pouring down rain and cold outside.

30 seconds into the game, the hero broke his shoe and turned his ankle at the same time. He broke his shoe, his shoe broke. And he went hobbling off of the court. It was not pretty.

Okay, History Channel, something. Anything. Something. Is it warm outside yet?
    Last edited by pdub; February 20, 2019, 09:45 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

The hilarious thing is this poor schmuck who paid ten grand to watch this kid and got to see 33 seconds of the game before he was hurt.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Right before I clicked on another channel, the announcer was saying, "Has anybody in this stadium got an extra size 15 shoe?" HAHAHAHAhahAhAhAHAH!!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        The winter that seems like it will never end. There's nothing else to do here, it's pouring down rain and cold outside.

Okay, History Channel, something. Anything. Something. Is it warm outside yet?
        That's not winter! It's 35F in Detroit right now, and we had 6" of snow Sunday evening. Haven't seen grass for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post

That's not winter! It's 35F in Detroit right now, and we had 6" of snow Sunday evening. Haven't seen grass for a while.
          Andy I''m still contemplating bringing my race costume and helmet in April if you're actually still willing to let me make a run in Kitty. I don't think I'll bring Red, still just mulling the whole situation over. I'll probably just bring the truck and some junk. More phone calls to complete. Mystery unsolved.
          Last edited by pdub; February 21, 2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post

Grass... isn’t that the green stuff on the ground? Or was it in the trees? I forget.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

No snow here in several years. I LIKE it! Though this winter has been really rainy - unusual.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post

Grass... isn’t that the green stuff on the ground? Or was it in the trees? I forget.
                Silly kid, it's in baggies!

Comment

Well, Nike is 'investigating'. The player will end up with an endorsement contract and shoes for life.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Well, Nike is 'investigating'. The player will end up with an endorsement contract and shoes for life.
                    Hopefully better shoes than that. Nike is in big trouble, on every media channel.
                    Last edited by pdub; February 21, 2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Hopefully better shoes than that. Nike is in big trouble, on every media channel.
                      That has to be a real embarrassment for Nike and with international news coverage to boot (see what I did there?). Guessing those Chinese kids suck at sewing, at least on size 15 shoes. Another reason to bring production back on-shore. In reality it was probably a one-in-a-million failure but it sure happened on a big stage.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That has to be a real embarrassment for Nike and with international news coverage to boot (see what I did there?). Guessing those Chinese kids suck at sewing, at least on size 15 shoes. Another reason to bring production back on-shore. In reality it was probably a one-in-a-million failure but it sure happened on a big stage.

Dan
                        Exactly. I'm glad I'm not them today.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	duke a.png
Views:	24
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1233629
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I say it's a tempest in a tea pot. A good indicator of that is that P started this thread about it, therefore - not really important.
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

The numbers here are staggering . . .
                              285 static pounds . . . Zion's static weight (excludes dynamic force vectors on the failed shoe)
                              $30 million . . . speculation on how much Nike pays Duke on the shoe contract.
                              $0 . . . How much NCAA players are allowed to get paid
                              $2,500 . . . price some folks paid for tickets to the Duke-UNC game
                              $132.44 Billion . . . Nike market capitalization (Compare: General Motors: $55.67 Billion; Tesla: $50.32 Billion; Honda 48.83 Billion; Ford: $35.54 Billion; Nissan: 33.36 Billion; Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. $29.10 Billion)
                              ~$1 Billion . . . Nike's market capitalization loss today
                              1,000,000 . . . Number of products liability lawyers who want this "classic" case

The incident suggests that Nike could be liable, said Paul Edelstein, a lawyer at Edelsteins Faegenburg & Brown in New York. He represents athletes in brain injury and other sports-related litigation. “This would be a classic product-liability case if Mr. Williamson suffered any type of serious injury and was inclined to bring one,” Edelstein said. “This product was specifically designed to provide support for athletes such as him and clearly failed.”

Comment

Working...
                              X