X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvair Owners

When I was stationed in Davisville, RI........I purchased a '65 Corvair
    This was in Spring of '68.........soon after they quit making them

It was ok reliable driving around town.......to base and back but it couldn't quite
    make the trip to St. Louis when I got out

Somewhere near Terre Haute, IN something blew up and that was that

Click image for larger version

Name:	corvair  a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1234387
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

My Mom had a '66 Monza "pillar-less" two-door sport coupe with a 4-speed manual and I had a '64 Monza two-door convertible with a two-speed Powerglide automatic .. good drivers (kiss my ass at any speed Ralph!).

Comment

A comment here from Charles (Impala_Guy) would be most appropriate. But he's not here on General Discussion. Mostly on Power Tour.

He brought his Corvair to the Gear Head Inn one time, brave enough to drive it from Raleigh to Whittier. It was worthy. Very worthy. Yeah, I'd drive that. I never had one, but I'd drive that.
      Last edited by pdub; February 26, 2019, 03:41 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
        ..soon after they quit making them
        About fifty years ago, there used to be a museum down in Texas where they claimed to have the last of the Corvairs. It was about 3/4th assembled and the sign claimed that GM ran out of parts to finish it. I was a bit skeptical that a big corporation wouldn't plan ahead enough to complete a car . . . even the last one.

But it looked totally new and unused. The museum closed and was auctioned off years ago. I wonder what happened to the "last" Corvair.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
          My Mom had a '66 Monza "pillar-less" two-door sport coupe with a 4-speed manual and I had a '64 Monza two-door convertible with a two-speed Powerglide automatic .. good drivers (kiss my ass at any speed Ralph!).
          Did those engines have solid lifters?
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            Did those engines have solid lifters?
            The lifters are hydraulic.
            Charles car that pdub referred to is a Corsa model with the optional 180 hp turbocharged engine.

Comment

I borrowed a Spyder one weekend in 1966. drove it up Pikes Peak. Liked it!
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                I borrowed a Spyder one weekend in 1966. drove it up Pikes Peak. Liked it!
                Saw a Spyder with Cragars.... looked killer
                Thom

Comment

My dad owned the first 1961 corvair in SW Wisconsin, and had the 61 4doorsedan, a 62 stationwagon, a 63 Monza 2 door, and a 69 Monza convertible. My brother still has a 1965 turbo Corsa convertible with 4 speed, and a 1969 Monza convertible with the 4 speed and 110 hp flat six. The 1965 and later models were much better handling than the earlier models, and I like the styling better, too.
                  Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                  Gregg and Deb Miller
                  Verona, Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

The lifters are hydraulic.
                    Charles car that pdub referred to is a Corsa model with the optional 180 hp turbocharged engine.
                    This is Charles' engine. It took a while but I dug the photo out of the files. 2014, Gear Head Inn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2958.JPG Views:	1 Size:	305.1 KB ID:	1234430
                    Last edited by pdub; February 26, 2019, 08:51 PM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
                      My dad owned the first 1961 corvair in SW Wisconsin, and had the 61 4doorsedan, a 62 stationwagon, a 63 Monza 2 door, and a 69 Monza convertible. My brother still has a 1965 turbo Corsa convertible with 4 speed, and a 1969 Monza convertible with the 4 speed and 110 hp flat six. The 1965 and later models were much better handling than the earlier models, and I like the styling better, too.
                      Yeah I always did like the styling of the ‘65 and later model
                      There was even a Yenko model
                      Thom

Comment

But oh, the poor fan belts! Imagine if they had today's electric fan tech? With the rise in alcohol fuels maybe it's time to give air cooled another try....
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

They're neat cars, I had a lot of fun with the 63 I took on the LeMons Rally in 2017. One of the cheaper ways to get into a "classic" car. But there's a good reason they're cheap....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            But oh, the poor fan belts! Imagine if they had today's electric fan tech? With the rise in alcohol fuels maybe it's time to give air cooled another try....
                            no doubt..
                            or the benz crank on liquid cooling heads and block, more of an sbc intake/valve sizing and chamber.... oh my.
                            porsche would have to lie to the market even more to get past it.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 26, 2019, 10:05 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Buddy had a couple, drove 20 miles each way daily to work on gravel roads. Handled great.

Comment

Working...
                              X