German U Boat Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German U Boat Tour

We had the opportunity to visit the IMAX Technic Museum last year in Speyer, Germany
    One of the most interesting transport museums I've been..........they have huge vintage aircraft that you go
    actually walk in and visit

The IMAX DOME cinema is the only cinema of its kind in Germany and an absolute sensation. Unlike other cinemas, the film in the IMAX DOME is not projected on a flat screen, but on a huge dome.

One the most interesting pieces they had was a German U Boat.........it was a newer model
    I'm not one for closed spaces........even when it's sitting still but I had to venture down the tube to take some photos
    These guys must've had brass balls to live in such confining spaces

Click image for larger version

Name:	sub a.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	1234748

Name:	sub.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1234747
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Name:	sub b.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1234750

Name:	sub c.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1234751

Name:	sub d.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1234752
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Name:	sub e.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1234754

Name:	sub f.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1234755

Name:	sub g.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1234756
      Thom

Comment

Name:	speyer.800x600.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1234758

Name:	speyer.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1234759

Name:	speyer a.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	1234760
        Thom

Comment

Thanks for sharing
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

That's nota my boat that'sa U-boat! (Sorry, had to.)

Looks like an interesting place. Let's plan a BS field trip!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              That's nota my boat that'sa U-boat! (Sorry, had to.)

Looks like an interesting place. Let's plan a BS field trip!

Dan
              It’s gear head nirvana Dan.... you’d love it
              Thom

Comment

Name:	B53D8F10-1E17-4F89-9D52-14AB353B83E4.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1234795
                Thom

Comment

Thom, have you gotten to the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg museum in Auburn, IN? It's AMAZING! It's in the old Auburn engineering/office building and would be worth the trip if the building was empty. Art Deco perfection. Maybe a day from Festus? Another gearhead nirvana and one of my favorite places on the planet. V12 Guy on here is a long time volunteer there and he hooked us up as our tour guide

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Thom, have you gotten to the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg museum in Auburn, IN? It's AMAZING! It's in the old Auburn engineering/office building and would be worth the trip if the building was empty. Art Deco perfection. Maybe a day from Festus? Another gearhead nirvana and one of my favorite places on the planet. V12 Guy on here is a long time volunteer there and he hooked us up as our tour guide

Dan
                    Been there several times, my home office was
                    Ft Wayne and we’’d have meetings there
                    A good friend, Mike McClelland was a board member and yeah it’s every bit as much a car
                    nirvana experience
                    I love the boat tails.... it’s an amazing place
                    I’d be up for a get together .... maybe their annual car show and auction
                    Last edited by Monk; February 28, 2019, 03:49 PM.
                    Thom

Comment

That's a type 205 Submarine, used from the mid 1960's til the mid 2000's. Very quiet very good diesel electric boat. I had to train against these when I was in the Navy.

Comment

They have a captured WWII boat in Chicago. It's in a museum there.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Iīve just watched this movie Das Boot....living in a tube with a load of other
                          sweaty men under the imminent threat of sudden death just ainīt for me....

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            They have a captured WWII boat in Chicago. It's in a museum there.
                            It's in the museum of science and industry.... There is a ton of interesting things there!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We've seen the one in Chicago, some time back. Yeah I can't imagine being a sailor stuffed in there.

Eagle who periodically posts here is probably on a sub in the Pacific right now but I think his is a little roomier.

Das Boot is an old favorite here.
                              Last edited by Loren; March 1, 2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X