V8 Volkswagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Volkswagon?

Well..... It's a SUV. And a diesel. And it's not available in the U.S. But I made you look, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	551570.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1234936
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    Well..... It's a SUV. And a diesel. And it's not available in the U.S. But I made you look, right?
    Yes you did. That's the only street race I ever lost in that hotrod Bug, against another black Bug. He came in from out of town, from Chester I think.

We'd race between stoplights, so it was all a first gear-second gear, get out of it thing. Quick burst, not at all top end.

I should have known when I saw it, it had something like by-18's on the back of it. Radical. And I should have heard it too, rumbling. That's not a Bug, but it looks just like one. It was a 55 Chevy chassis he had shortened and narrowed so a Bug body would fit onto it. I wouldn't doubt he came to town looking for me and I was there.

He cleaned my clock and we pulled into the mall parking lot to talk it over and I was crawling under it looking. I said, "That's not fair." He only said, "You picked it." Yes I did.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Joy, another new post in general that ends in a question mark and brings....not much. Whee.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
        Joy, another new post in general that ends in a question mark and brings....not much. Whee.
        But again, you looked.

Comment

I was expecting it to be about that weird W8 Passat. Apparently they only made around 11000 of them worldwide, and the engine was used in absolutely nothing else. So you've got something with plain VW family car looks, and lower production numbers and worse parts availability than some Ferarris.

Comment

Feeling bad I dumped the address for the article after clipping the photo. Any less meaningless and boring now?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
              I was expecting it to be about that weird W8 Passat. Apparently they only made around 11000 of them worldwide, and the engine was used in absolutely nothing else. So you've got something with plain VW family car looks, and lower production numbers and worse parts availability than some Ferarris.
              Weirdly, I see one of those really often. Apparently a coworker has one, though I've yet to track down precisely who. I desperately want a ride in the thing, just because the engine note is so bizaare. I mean, you aren't going to hear that sound outside of...uh... a Passat. Though the idea was later used with a bunch more cylinders, of course. I expect that it'll sound like a very, very strange VR6 motor (which is a very narrow V6, to the point where it only has one cylinder head, for those not experienced with them). That was a lovely motor, albeit a bit anemic by today's standard.

Besides, V8 VW? Don't remember the Phaeton? It's not the first one we've seen.

Comment

We had an Audi version show up at Bonneville and run Diesel classes - it fit the requirements. There was no way to verify engine displacement as you can't pull the heads and there's no way to pump it. The engine has to be heated in some kind of a rig for all the parts to expand enough so assemble it and once cooled it's all locked together (or so they told us and they had the service manual to back them up). Eventually the officials decided that all of the factory markings were intact (paint marks, stickers etc.) and it was a daily driver so the decided to let the record stand. Can't recall the class.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X