Volvo = 112 MPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo = 112 MPH

They just did a 7-second filler on the local news broadcast about Volvo is going to start limiting their new cars to 112 MPH, to reduce the number of fatal crashes.

Well, I can defeat that with a tuner, I've done it before. BUT if the effort is to reduce the number of fatal crashes to the general public, why don't they set the limiter less than that? Like, whatever the highest speed limit is in America. What is that, 85 MPH out west somewhere? And you can get killed going 45 mph if you hit something solid like a tree.

EDIT: The "Add Link" button has disappeared...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/vo...ter-from-2020/
    Last edited by pdub; March 4, 2019, 04:17 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I know what they're thinking. I've owned a few European cars that will really haul. A Saab 9-5 Aero even with high miles will hit the speed limiter at 155. My summer time daily driver is tuned, but even stock it was more than capable.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190304_194801.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	989.6 KB
ID:	1235442

Comment

Volvo is dead to me (actually it already was).

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
        Volvo is dead to me (actually it already was).
        What gets me is, even back when I was a kid back in the 70's, Volvo was building cars that were meant to crash safely. Them and Mercedes, but Volvo was leading the way. And now they're going to slow down their cars to match what Ford has been doing for years - 111.8 MPH with a tailwind.

I just don't understand 112 MPH. That's too fast for a soccer mom and most lawyers talking on the cell phone on the freeway.
        Last edited by pdub; March 4, 2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I have an 2005 S60T for my work car and the wife drives a 2007 S80 awd v8, both very nice cars.

Comment

Back in the 70s there was a measure in congress to make cars automatically flash the headlights, four ways and honk the horn if speeding. Brock Yates said it would make speeding even MORE fun!

I think it is kind of like the seatbelt interlocks of about '75. Make a safety restriction TOO intrusive, everyone will find a way to bypass it. Plus it pissed people off to have to belt their groceries into the passenger seat.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

112 is convienently the rated speed capability of an S rated tire. I feel like there's maybe a law that says you have to limit the car to whatever the OE tires are rated for (112 for S rated, 130 for H rated, etc)--it may not be true, but it seems to work that way.

And 112mph being faster than the majority of people will ever take a car.

And S rated tires are much cheaper than tires rated for 150.

Hrm.

Comment

The closer to the maximum speed limit that you restrict a vehicles top speed, the more passing power you take away, thus reducing the safety of the vehicle.

Comment

I've said it here before. Volvos (and city SUVs, crossovers) are for people that choose their cars by how well they crash into shit. Most makers say "We make a great car and oh yes, it's safe". Volvo says "We make a safe car and....". Even if they do more you don't hear about it much. Crap, makers have been speed limiting cars for decades, they just didn't try to make headlines with it as a selling point. Volvo may or may not make a great car, but who cares? They don't even TRY to win a race.

Comment

Look here:
                    Speed limiters could be fitted to all new cars in the E.U. by 2022, and even if the U.K. Brexits it is expected the proposed rules will be adopted for British drivers, too.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                      The closer to the maximum speed limit that you restrict a vehicles top speed, the more passing power you take away, thus reducing the safety of the vehicle.
                      Perry (corvettedad) and I have both been busted for going too fast while passing on a two-lane. That's the only speeding ticket I've ever got (so far). In my case it was a trap and I stepped into it. I was clocked going 20 over but the cop wrote it down to 15 over to keep it from being a reckless charge, when she checked and saw that my driving record up to that point was spotless.

Comment

We all know traffic enforcement is more about revenue than safety.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          We all know traffic enforcement is more about revenue than safety.
                          It certainly was that day for sure. I paid Maryville's courthouse light bill for the month.

Comment

Actually I've passed cars on two lanes on cruise control. It takes a loooong straightaway and you get a lot of dirty looks from those driving the exact speed limit or under. But yeah limiting speed to the recommended limit would be like constant cruise control or autonomous driving and chaos would and will ensue.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                              Only if it's drag limited, yeah? You can put a 60mph ignition kill on an engine and still roar like hell to that speed. It's just that you'll smack the wall and splutter once you hit it.

All that matters to me is that it's cheap and easy to reverse engineer--and disable.

Comment

Working...
                              X