No announcement yet.

Volvo = 112 MPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two things at play. Red's rev limiter kills the spark. You get up there past the redline and the engine essentially shuts off, nose down, until you find a taller gear. The speed limiter behaves just like a cruise control, as you say. I found that out in Ohio with Bluebelle. 111.8. That's it, that's all she'll do. Nice and smooth, you can mash a dent in the firewall with your foot, but that's it.

I can remember the rev limiter in some of the older VW sedans, a friend had one, the rev limiter would only partially kill the spark. So it stopped pulling but it was running on maybe 2 cylinders making a crazy sound - BWAH BUH DE WHAH BOP BOP BOP. That was a cool thing back then, just to make it make that sound.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      The closer to the maximum speed limit that you restrict a vehicles top speed, the more passing power you take away, thus reducing the safety of the vehicle.
      Once upon a time I had to drive a box truck with a 65 m.p.h. governor and no cruise control. We just drove it floored all the time on the highway. It lost speed climbing hills and bursted up to a breathtaking 68-70 on the way back down the hills.

It was constipated . . . couldn't pass a thing . . . .

M211's governor was something like 50 (with the Jimmy screamin' as if the rods were about to depart) . . . Couldn't pass a thing but a fuel stop . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
        112 is convienently the rated speed capability of an S rated tire. I feel like there's maybe a law that says you have to limit the car to whatever the OE tires are rated for (112 for S rated, 130 for H rated, etc)--it may not be true, but it seems to work that way.

And 112mph being faster than the majority of people will ever take a car.

And S rated tires are much cheaper than tires rated for 150.

Hrm.
        I like this theory.
        my 5000 pound truck had p-rated, and unknown to me.. no limiter ( a silly tuner that also pegged timing advance at 1000rpm to 36 degrees)
        anyway, after stretching the tires like balloons and gear calcing my way into 130s mph with windshield wipers floating in the breeze..

that toyota rav 4 was well behind me

I went right back to speed limited.
        T rated on the load range E.

I am not afraid of toyota rav 4 anymore
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 5, 2019, 02:03 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

They should just mimic my first truck...1973 GMC, manual trans, 4:10 rear, 250 6 popper......top speed was 55....I could get up to 60 mph if I was going downhill with a tail wind if I was lucky,....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
            Look here:
            Speed limiters could be fitted to all new cars in the E.U. by 2022, and even if the U.K. Brexits it is expected the proposed rules will be adopted for British drivers, too.

Nick
            That's interesting. From that link:

"Modern speed limiters do not automatically apply brakes but cap the top speed of motor vehicles by restricting engine fuel supplies. The technology works by using a speed sign-recognition cameras and GPS-linked speed limit data."

I've got two store-bought GPS boxes. The newer one does have speed limit data but it's about 80% accurate. There are long stretches of highway between here and Arkansas where the GPS thinks the limit is 55 but it's actually 65. Prude's hollering "SPEED WARNING!" Ohhhh hush. And if you tell her to hush, she really does hush, she won't even tell you where to turn. And they thought by now we'd have George Jetson flying cars.

Comment

The newer cars are being found to be more efficient at high speed so we may be on the brink of a new era. Also after 50 or more years it's about damn time for some PROGRESS in transportation. OR maybe "they" figure if motorists are less bored they won't let their attention stray to their cell phones. There are 80 zones now so the industry may be getting ready for routine 100 MPH travel soon. C'mon, we'll never have flying cars like we were promised.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                The newer cars are being found to be more efficient at high speed so we may be on the brink of a new era. Also after 50 or more years it's about damn time for some PROGRESS in transportation. OR maybe "they" figure if motorists are less bored they won't let their attention stray to their cell phones. There are 80 zones now so the industry may be getting ready for routine 100 MPH travel soon. C'mon, we'll never have flying cars like we were promised.
                But at the same time watch them already building all the new cars with auto-stop capabilities so the distracted driver doesn't kill somebody else on the road. It's a quandry.

Comment

The Crane rev limiter in the 'Stang drops random cylinders when you hit the redline. It's interesting - you don't hear a thing and feel very little - it just sort of goes on plane (a boat reference). So I guess there are different methods to get that done. Still, this seems to be different from what the EU is suggesting.

Dan

Comment

I think I hit the rev limiter in the mustang when I was trying to power shits and missed the next gear. Felt like it was missing. Dad's car with the LS MSD just stops pulling. It ran two back to back pass at the Ohio mile with the exact same time down to the last number.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      I think I hit the rev limiter in the mustang when I was trying to power shits and missed the next gear. Felt like it was missing. Dad's car with the LS MSD just stops pulling. It ran two back to back pass at the Ohio mile with the exact same time down to the last number.
                      Russell, that's amazing because I would have thought the odds were incredible for that. But Bluebelle did it in Ohio on the speed limiter too. The same thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010433.JPG Views:	1 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	1235749
                      Last edited by pdub; March 7, 2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Volvo makes pretty nice trucks.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I don't usually attribute great design with Volvo, but gotta admit that the S60 is pretty nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	16
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1235781

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Russell, that's amazing because I would have thought the odds were incredible for that. But Bluebelle did it in Ohio on the speed limiter too. The same thing.

Click image for larger version Name:	P1010433.JPG Views:	1 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	1235749
                            That is pretty cool, I think it shows how good electronics are on the car and the timing clocks.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X