No announcement yet.

Meh File: The Last Taurus . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard a few people say postivpo things about a Taurus they have owned. But these were also people who can't change the own oil or a flat tire. I have really enjoyed my 2003 Lincoln Town Car. Having a couch on wheels is nice. It does need at least another 100 horsepower. And the option for a manual transmission. I wish Ford Motor Company would build a mustang based Lincoln. With the the whole engine and transmission line up. Go kick Cadillac CTS in the teeth.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Ain't going to happen, Ford doesn't the money.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I wish Ford would put one of their "hot rod" engines in the Focus with all wheel drive. That could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Ain't going to happen, Ford doesn't the money.
          I have never been known for my good communication skills, but you are normally pretty clear.... I am not picking up what you are putting down. Ford has the money. They might not think my idea is profitable?

If GM can make money on CTS, if BMW can make money on a M3. I don't see why a hot rod Lincoln couldn't make money. What are all the guys that had new mustangs in the driving now (my guess is crewcab short bed f150). I would think they are the market. Something sporty, fast, can haul the family, and comfortable.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

I have never been known for my good communication skills, but you are normally pretty clear.... I am not picking up what you are putting down. Ford has the money. They might not think my idea is profitable?

If GM can make money on CTS, if BMW can make money on a M3. I don't see why a hot rod Lincoln couldn't make money. What are all the guys that had new mustangs in the driving now (my guess is crewcab short bed f150). I would think they are the market. Something sporty, fast, can haul the family, and comfortable.
            best sign of a struggling company is the overabundance of halo cars... read packages rather then new cars

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

best sign of a struggling company is the overabundance of halo cars... read packages rather then new cars
              Lol, What company, are you speaking of?

I still feel like there's a typo or word missing from your previous statement?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

There is a point here. In the basketball shoe thread I posted some market capitalization numbers for many of the OEMs in comparison to Nike
                Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                $132.44 Billion . . . Nike market capitalization (Compare: General Motors: $55.67 Billion; Tesla: $50.32 Billion; Honda 48.83 Billion; Ford: $35.54 Billion; Nissan: 33.36 Billion; Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. $29.10 Billion)
                Toyota's market capitalization for comparison is roughly 190 billion (at least one car company has more cap than that stupid Chinese shoe maker)

Now that's not cash on hand, but rather the total value of the stock traded multiplied by the current selling price. It's just one of the quick measures of how financially strong a company is.

The idiotic gamble of putting that moronic toolbag, cost-cutter Jimbo "Buddy" Hackett in charge of Ford was for one reason and one reason only: Raising the stock price. This morning it's still languishing at 8.52 -- a measure that investors (most of whom don't give a rats @$$ about what sort of "widget" a company they invest in makes) really don't have a lot of confidence in Ford's plans at the moment.

[One has to admit that there's a certain amount of investor insanity when Tesla is worth more in market terms than Ford and a useless company that's only ever produced a handful of profitable quarters -- Twitter -- is worth almost as much as FCA . . . . ]

In today's overregulated environment, it costs a lot of ducats to bring a completely new vehicle to market. Twenty years ago, Ford blew a reported $5 Billion to bring the Mondeo/Countour "world car" to market . . . which the last cost-cutter hack, Jac "the Knife" Nasser summarily cut from the American market after a handful of dismal selling seasons. (The Mondeo was a tad more successful overseas . . . Of course the Mondeo sucks from a hot rodder's point-of-view . . . . ).

The bottom line is that Ford's really not even picking the cheap, low-hanging stuff at the moment given the count-your-paper-clips mentality of the current clueless management. So I'm not optimistic in the short term that the soulless bean-counters would sign-off on what many of us absolutely believe Ford needs: Sedan para-mutations of the RWD Mustang platform.

I will note that when times really got bad (e.g. 1946-48, 1980-82) is when Ford made some of its most legendary gambles to stay alive. So maybe, just maybe, in the total destruction that will be the result of the completely FAILED Hackett era, some real car guys will step in and save the Oval from itself once again.

BTW, in case anyone missed my point, I wouldn't put Jimmy Hackett in charge of my kid's lemonade stand . . . . But at least Edsel Ford II has managed to keep the knife away from most of the racing program (so far)
                Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; March 14, 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Yes RWD sedan based on the mustang! I had high hopes when the frist Lincoln Continental commercials came out when I looked it up, I was very disappointed it's another throw away car, that will get chipped in 15-20 years.

Can't be that hard to put a Continental type body on a mustang chassis. While keeping the mustang drive train options, EB, V6, 5.0, and Shelby engines. No reason not to take some market share from MB they sell hotrods 600+ HP V12.

Cars should be like the postal service flat rate box. If it fits it ships! . should be able to pick any engine / transmission combo out of the line up.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell, you're "preachin' to the choir" here. Bro. 100x thumbs up.

The problem is convincing the occupying bureaucrats and bean-counters who thought embarrassing, total crap like Tempo/Topaz and the badge-engineered KIa Festiva were "great" cars based on the balance sheet . . . .

Saying no is easy. Building stuff that's legendary . . . risky and hard.

Comment

I agree that Tesla "valuation" is beyond reason. That said, people seem to be hot rodding their investment portfolio with a political bend... point is, I can't throw many rocks at other people's 'investment' when I 'invest' in project cars.....

Comment

Throw rocks? . . . $#!+ . . . I want a fully-fueled and armed B-52 warming up on the tarmac . . . Just sayin'

If you really want to make your head explode, read some of the asinine spin that the Ford PR people are jizzing into the media to prop up Ol' Steelcase and attract ethereal Generation Vaporware investors . . . . Examples here (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...nt/3129344002/ ) and below

I've got a tip for fat Jimmy . . . If he'd actually talk to folks who regularly have bought Fords, Mercurys [RIP], and Lincolns maybe he'd learn that "how the FREAKIN' engine purrs" still moves a butt-load of metal . . . .

In the car of the future, you may care more about how the driver’s seat swivels than how the engine purrs.

Comment

Stock Market Capitalization? Gotta mention Apple. Company does less and less and monetizes more and more.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            Stock Market Capitalization? Gotta mention Apple. Company does less and less and monetizes more and more.
                            why work when you don't have to?

Comment

Working...
                            X