Build Sponsors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Sponsors

Should those builds that are getting funding or vendor support, web page support .
    Have to disclose the fact that the build is receiving funds or parts?
    To allow the reader or viewer ,what ever the case maybe understand that the choice of equipment, or willingness to spend so much effort on promoting the build is part of a give and take between the vendor/sponsors/web page.

Or is it ok to mislead the reader /viewer .
    discuss;
    Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; March 12, 2019, 08:26 AM.

How is a reader being mislead?
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

In what context? A build thread on Bangshift? A cable TV show? A magazine article? A bench racing session?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
        Should those builds that are getting funding or vendor support, web page support, have to disclose the fact that the build is receiving funds or parts? To allow the reader or viewer, what ever the case maybe understand that the choice of equipment, or willingness to spend so much effort on promoting the build is part of a give and take between the vendor/sponsors/web page, or is it ok to mislead the reader /viewer?
        I believe that most readers / viewers already understand this dynamic, therefore omission of that fact is not misleading.

Comment

Where is this. Kind of thing happening? And why does it. Seem
          to have
          you upset? Maybe if you gave.
          Some examples?
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I think if they tell you they built x package engine and made x horse power , they should tell you where they spent the money , that way I can figure what they got for free or aren't counting g .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Generally, no. Hot rodding and racing aren't Consumer Reports. And life is not fair.

Most certainly it is unethical to misrepresent results. But sponsorships and comp'd stuff are necessary to most projects that get "ink." Somebody's got to pay (and that generally isn't the readers these days)

To some, it's kind of like rubbing it in to brag about sponsors or comp'd parts or back stock parts or insider connections that ordinary builders will likely never have.

How is it really any different from just covering "checkbook" and "house" builds done by pro shops?

It's helpful for readers to see price lists, but given how available and competitive pricing is on most "commodity" (i.e. mass-produced) parts, these lists are often not necessary nor accurate by the time the reader gets around to replicating parts of the featured "build."

Also, for services, prices vary depending on who is asking, where the service is being performed, what the time frame and deadlines are, how prominent the service provider is in the industry and plenty of other variables.

We've discussed all this before (as well as SBG's belief that Hot Rod magazine sold out to Dodge), so I doubt anyone's minds will be changed. I'd be surprised if readers want to give up space for tech in exchange for disclosures about who paid for what . . . . I could be wrong.
              Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; March 12, 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                to have
                Some examples?
                Ha, ha, ha ... perfect.

Comment

In full disclosure........during my 55/409 build I received a free ball hat from Edlebrock and one free decal from MSD
                  Last edited by Monk; March 12, 2019, 11:36 AM.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    In what context? A build thread on Bangshift? A cable TV show? A magazine article? A bench racing session?
                    any of the above, a bench racing session wouldn't have real funds or parts gifted, so say the 1st 3 you listed.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      to have
                      Some examples?
                      What makes you think I'm upset. I just thought it be a subject to discuss.

Examples, like 90% of the old mag stories that well we just happened to have this new 871 blower under the bench.

or a tv build or any sponsored by any media be it a tv show,forum,mag,web page.
                      So you know if the person picked the part because of their feeling it is the best one for the job, or it is being used because it is a vendors part. and the builder would not use it if they had the choice, but have to because someone else is footing the cost. people get the wrong idea about a part/product if a person they follow tends to use it. but using it because you are paid too, over because you think it is the best. that you can afford. is two wildly different things.
                      Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; March 12, 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

It was ALWAYS sketchy in the magazines. Take out a full page ad and anything you want just MIGHT show up in an article.

I get annoyed at the proliferation of the crate engine. I believe most of those you see in media are comped. A lot of projects don't make sense without a free or highly discounted motor as the core of the build. I fear a lot of workable old hardware is just getting discarded. Also some very worthy, innovative new hardware gets overlooked if the maker doesn't know how or want to play the promotion game.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Here was a W motor build article in Hot Rod in 2009...........I just assumed Sherman was getting all his parts gratis......all vendors were listed at end of article
                          A guy on the 348/409 Forum purchased the motor later on

On the upside...........Jim Evans, my engine builder, used the article as reference and we shot to meet or beat their dyno numbers.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

What makes you think I'm upset. I just thought it be a subject to discuss.

Examples, like 90% of the old mag stories that well we just happened to have this new 871 blower under the bench.

or a tv build or any sponsored by any media be it a tv show,forum,mag,web page.
                            So you know if the person picked the part because of their feeling it is the best one for the job, or it is being used because it is a vendors part. and the builder would not use it if they had the choice, but have to because someone else is footing the cost. people get the wrong idea about a part/product if a person they follow tends to use it. but using it because you are paid too, over because you think it is the best. that you can afford. is two wildly different things.
                            If you're under 18 and critical thinking and common sense are alien to you, then you need to slap your parents for not instilling those in you from an early age. If you are over 18 and they are still foreign, then you need to take a long, hard look at yourself and your life. Then slap yourself for never seeking out how to learn them yourself.

Why in the hell would you blindly follow someone like that? If someone is claiming something is the best, unless it is backed by cold, hard, relevant facts and data, than it's just their opinion.

As for money spent or budgets for builds, if you aren't checking the prices of things before buying them you are a damn fool. Unless you have the exact same parts and tools stashed that they comped, you are not paying that price no matter what, so why rely on that quote for your uses?
                            Last edited by tedly; March 12, 2019, 02:39 PM.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

TV or magazine article, just another form of advertising for their Parts, just like buying commercial time.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X