Kits that say complete which aren't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits that say complete which aren't

I purchased a "Complete" disc brake conversion kit recently. Began the installation, got the front disc rotors mounted, had to modify the disc pads slightly to fit into the calipers with grinding wheel which wasn't a big deal. Moved on to install new power brake booster and master cylinder with new distribution block. So this where the "complete kit" wasn't complete. The original brake lines don't match up with the new distribution block. So go back to the website and what do I discover............they sell those separately. Now to my original question. How is it that a kit, any kit for that matter say it's complete when in fact it ISN"T? And BTW the instructions were lacking information and diagrams as well.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Dave, welcome to my world a few years ago. I'm tired of messing with it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

My experience is that "complete" performance kits never are and I no longer expect them to be. So - simply lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed! It is, however, frustrating. By building a Mercedes-powered S-10 I KNOW that there are no "complete" kits so I save all that frustration and pull together all my own "kits".

Dan

Comment

If I had a shop equipped for bending and fitting brake lines I'd be offended if the kit I bought made me pay for brake lines. Yes, they should offer the kit sans lines separate.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          If I had a shop equipped for bending and fitting brake lines I'd be offended if the kit I bought made me pay for brake lines. Yes, they should offer the kit sans lines separate.
          At the minimum they should say existing brake lines will need to be modified or you can order brake line kit #xxx
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

At the minimum they should say existing brake lines will need to be modified or you can order brake line kit #xxx
            My two brake kits went together quite well. It was pretty straightforward, it either fits or it doesn't. But that blower kit, there were literally hundreds of parts in that giant box. They sent some extra this and not enough of that, hoses mostly. But we gotter done after countless trips downtown for all the right-sized hoses and fittings. And those "directions," that made me want to go back to my job, which was writing directions. I spent most of one whole day tearing whole pages out of them - if you have model "this" do that, or skip the next 8 steps. The photos were useless. I could do better than that, in fact I DID do better than that while I was at it in my career.

That blower project, that was a life experience. I won't do it again. My brother made a joke of the same sort of thing many years ago. He said, "You know you're in trouble when you bring a car part home from the store and in the directions, Step 1 says, 'Remove the engine from the car.'" That's when you know you're in over your head.

Comment

" Remove engine from car" is probably the easiest thing to do..
              Reinstalling is rather easy too..
              It s getting it running that is hard to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                It s getting it running that is hard to do...
                Yeah, try talking sense to a modern car computer. I don't think anybody really knows how to do it. Maybe not even the folks who built it at the factory.

Comment

Over 40 years ago, I figured out that "bolt on" just means that you can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by FilaGood View Post
                    Over 40 years ago, I figured out that "bolt on" just means that you can make it work.
                    Bob, I agree but I'd add the word "eventually"!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X