Gear Head Inn - SOLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Head Inn - SOLD

I wish somebody we knew could keep this place alive as we once knew it. Jim and Mary are done with it. They made it be what it is. It was a timed event, and they want out.
    Business For Sale - Gear Head Inn, American Car & Motorcycle Themed - Whittier, North Carolina - Find Great Hotels, Motels, Lodging Facilities For Sale on BusinessBroker.net
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Everyone runs out of energy at some point - mine was early on so I hired in at the Government. Best of luck to them.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      I wish somebody we knew could keep this place alive as we once knew it.
      Maybe someone who really likes the place, who just retired and likes car stuff ?

Comment

The price is certainly right at $795K. I just don't think I'll ever see that much. Great opportunity for someone for less than a Mil. Hey McT, wouldn't this be a GREAT blog item for the front page?

Has anyone approached them with an offer to take over management? Might be a peachy job for someone recently retired...….
        Last edited by RockJustRock; March 17, 2019, 08:26 AM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

life has no remote, get up and change it yourself.

I like that.. it's on the text of their sign.

I sent a license plate to them for the bar some time ago.

I now have veterans plates as a spare... was thinking of them when I swapped out for my new ones.
          I wonder what the reasoning is.

I know of weather bringing down a location.. We moved to maine from southern new england.
          I have watched everything change hands, even 100 year old logging business.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Maybe someone who really likes the place, who just retired and likes car stuff ?
            We'd have to hire a couple people to do all of the maintenance and room cleaning and that would blow any margin that's there. I get tired just watching Mary and Jim run around like mice doing all of that stuff.

Comment

They're going to cash in and move their whole program up north so Mary can be with her sister who needs some care. One of the Dakotas, I think South.

Comment

Well the only way someone could take it on would be if they could buy it outright. The location is so out of the way you couldn't depend on cash flow to cover a mortgage. A tourist business can either be an in transit location or a destination. You don't go to Whittier NC going to or from anywhere. If you go to Whittier NC you go there on purpose. I40 is really too far to depend on traffic from it and even if it was East West traffic tends to skew Northeast or Southeast.

Let me know if THIS one ever comes up for sale for under a million..... Location, location, location!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0381.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1237522

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Let me know if THIS one ever comes up for sale for under a million..... Location, location, location!
                  Those SOB cats (that's South Of the Border, by the way), they for the longest time, maybe still do, had at least a million tied up in billboards beside I-95. Just enough to make the kids start screaming maybe four hours hours away, "Stop Daddy, stop here Daddy!. This is IT, this is IT !"

Comment

Au Contrare. They have the facility to back up the hype. Go Cart and Moto Cross tracks, rides, attractions. South Of The Border IS a destination although it doesn't need to be with I95 next door. I'd like to put a helmet on Pedro and do THAT place with a motorsports theme. Much more PC than what it is now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sob.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1237558

Comment

I've actually stopped at SOB - it's on the way from us to FL and that's a trip I take with some regularity. The place is a hole - dirty, nasty bathrooms, high gas prices, crummy restaurants. It has the potential to be special and probably was in 1970 or so.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        I've actually stopped at SOB - it's on the way from us to FL and that's a trip I take with some regularity. The place is a hole - dirty, nasty bathrooms, high gas prices, crummy restaurants. It has the potential to be special and probably was in 1970 or so.

Dan
                        There. I don't want to speak out of turn because it may be a great place now. But 20 years ago it was a real live dump. Been there saw that back then.

Comment

We stopped in 1973 on the way to Washinton DC and it was a dump then too.

Comment

I'm not saying it's a great place to stay. It's just a great place to look at and think WTF? It seems to have come together in a time when South Carolina's laws were a lot more open than those states to the north on MANY fronts. As a teenager I was shocked and entranced by the "feelthy bookstore in the back" although of course I couldn't visit it. And fireworks. Who can hate those? I guess it was a perfect storm for me to encounter it at that time in my life. So anyway, how 'bout them Stuckey's?

Comment

SOB has never been a great place. All and gimmick related to the billboards that used to dominate I-95 for hundreds of miles north and south. I live about an hour north of it and as a kid thought it was a great place. Those billboards did their jobs. At least for a 13 year old. That is where we got fireworks all year long and that's about all it was good for.
                              Last edited by JRoberts; March 20, 2019, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X