Danger One - Demo Derby Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger One - Demo Derby Thread

Our resident Derby enthusiast, 'Deaf Bob' shared some stuff with me and I thought it might be a good thread idea, for those with comments, questions or remarks regarding this questionable sport.

58 Edsel ..

Click image for larger version  Name:	58 Edsel.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	1237587

"Down-the-line" weak spot was the front mount of the rear leaf springs, which dug into the soft arena ground.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58 Edsel down the line.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	1237586

Each entry must have a numbered sign on the vehicle, so these guys use animals to better see who is who .. db's daughter is a beaver and his son is the rooster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daughter Impala (Beaver).jpeg
Views:	766
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	1237590

Name:	2005 PI Crown Vic.jpeg
Views:	498
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1237589

Comment

I asked him if pink was the team color and he told me; "Gary and I were toughs .. "got balls to drive pink" (it also shows up better in old VHS videos). When the kids started driving and picked pink, I was honored."

Name:	Forks WA  Concrete Pit.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1237592

Comment

I asked it the rules allowed for weak spots to be reinforced, but apparently that is not allowed. "Repairs with same metal. Bends easier. Usually repaired cars bend just beside the patch. The roof signs need nbrs. We add animals. I used to run the Energenizer Bunny on mine. A young gal who barrel races as well has a horse head for her's, her daddy has a silly bunny, her hubby has just a square sign.

We flipped every other leaf on the spring pack, making it straight. Then weld the shackles to the frame. Saves the humps.."down the line is the front perch for the leafs. If front bumper is strong, the "down the line" is the crush box under the firewall.. If it does not bend there, officials will drill your frame and look for rods welded in to prevent crush. What is why the Vics are strong, from the frame under your feet to bumper is almost flat. A small slice and reweld makes them very strong. Too strong or heavy hurts more than help.
        "

This one drove out ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drove Out.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	1237594

Comment

I've always admired DB from afar, not only for the genuinely caring character he is, but for his passion for his sport. We should all be so inspired about "something." And gosh how much work goes into that endeavor. Only to do it all over again.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

This race, his daughter won with his son coming in 2nd.

Name:	Daughter 1st Son 2nd.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	1237597

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
              Gosh how much work goes into that endeavor. Only to do it all over again.
              Most vehicles are one event only cars ....

Comment

DB is one cool dude, a sly mechanic, and a great guy to have at your side. I’d love to see you working on these and see all the prep you do!
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

I had the privilege of meeting and hangin' with Bob at lunch more or less in his native habitat. Great guy indeed! Lots of pink paint!

Comment

I've also enjoyed DB's photos and words over time. What a nuts thing to be doing!

Comment

I wonder how DB feels about having somebody posting for him...… But I have an idea.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Doesn't bother me...

Thanks Steve!

Comment

Love the pictures thanks Steve. DB what you do is amazing. It must be a rush, I have been in a couple of "fender benders". I never got hurt but was a little sore from one. I have never wanted to crash. Now there have been a few times I have wanted to pull an Earnheardt, and remove some slow drivers from the road.

If you win the event does it normally cover the cost of the build?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Cool thread. Cool subject. Cool dude.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              Love the pictures thanks Steve. DB what you do is amazing. It must be a rush, I have been in a couple of "fender benders". I never got hurt but was a little sore from one. I have never wanted to crash. Now there have been a few times I have wanted to pull an Earnheardt, and remove some slow drivers from the road.

If you win the event does it normally cover the cost of the build?
                              Of course not... . Helps tho.. It is a rush like no other.

Comment

Working...
                              X