No announcement yet.

How Would You Build a JY "Hot Rod?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're all aware that folks have drag raced Jeeps. DF has been on a Jeep bender since about Day One. CJ/Wrangler are the rough spiritual successors to the old-timey open touring cars. We get it. Anything you could do with a T or an A, or just about any open car designed before WWII, you can do or almost do with a Jeep.

This isn't a Jeep thread.

Comment

Back to the OP, sounds like you'd like a Zip Tie drags with a no aftermarket parts except EFI clause. Promoting anything non-aftermarket would be a steep uphill climb because aftermarket parts drive most racing. Hell, a stock car is ALL aftermarket parts.
      Last edited by RockJustRock; March 18, 2019, 12:14 PM.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

sadly with no trucks allowed, im not qualified either.
        2001 s10 extended cab 2 wd. ( i aready own this truck, bad transmission, good running 4 cyl to sell and recoup a couple $$, lowered with control arms AND spindles )
        1994 5.7/4l60e out of a rust bucket van (already own this)
        but id really rather do a 5.3.
        Ive never mastered the art of gluing metal with electricity, so probably not a lot of fab work done by me.
        probably an 8.8 out of something. or since Quick Performance is approx 90 miles away, probably a 9", but maybe not.

so, even though im not young enough to worry about insurance rates... If i were late teens early 20s worried about ins rates, I sure bet that 2001 ext cab s10 would be cheaper than a 2001 camaro to insure. or my 85 Z-28.

but its a truck.
        Charles

Comment

.like that early 472 caddy motor swinging from the hoist in my shop right now, $100 in a local ad.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

1badmonkee TOTALLY....just exclude me too.....
            Last edited by silver_bullet; March 18, 2019, 12:19 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              .like that early 472 caddy motor swinging from the hoist in my shop right now, $100 in a local ad.
              Sounds like the next Hooptie Challenge is pretty much a done deal. You are right in forfeiting this bench race. Bigger and better things await.

So..... Carry on. Who will win the GP "Hooptie Challenge with EFI but No Trucks Bench Race Challenge"?

I think GP hating it is a pre-requisite for Squirrel Hooptie Challenge cars.
              Last edited by RockJustRock; March 18, 2019, 12:24 PM.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

It's about coming up with ideas, not "winning."

Do folks really want to discuss truck rods that bad? I guess McGann was sort of right in this month's Hot Rod . . . .

If we cannot come up with any suitable automobiles, then post what you gotta post about trucks . . . .
                Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; March 18, 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

yeah, I ruined that Tbird by putting a Chevy motor in it.

my first hot rod was a truck. I drove it today. It has a different big block in it, than the one I dropped in with junkyard parts over two days back in 1979.

It would indeed be hard to find most of those parts today, in a junkyard. Or maybe it would just be hard to buy them, there are two yards nearby with gobs of old stuff, now owned by the elderly children of the original owners, who don't care at all about old cars.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Do folks really want to discuss truck rods that bad? I guess McGann sort of right in this month's Hot Rod . . . .

If we cannot come up with any suitable automobiles, then post what you gotta post about trucks . . . .
                    sticking with the year, 2001, me being a GM guy...sorry, just how I swing... if i want rwd, im building a camaro, or a truck.
                    I own the s10, but truth be told, id rather do a 2wd 2 door blazer. but finding a 2wd blazer in iowa... 1 out of 500 blazers maybe?

my s10 is still a hot rod.
                    Charles

Comment

Do folks really want to discuss truck rods that bad? I guess McGann was sort of right in this month's Hot Rod . . . .

or

1995 civic with an h22 prelude motor.
                      Charles

Comment

who goes to a junkyard anymore? growing up, sure - there was one a mile from me, and junkyard row was 10 and 20 miles away from me. Now? there are 2 junkyards (used to be 3 until a couple weeks ago) about an hour from me that have pretty much nothing. 'cool' stuff is bought up by the warehouse junkyards (big building with miles of racks with tagged and bagged parts) that sell only online through car-parts.com.

CL or swap meet? sure, my 64 Buick Wagon. $300 swap meet car without a title and a $400 GNX motor/trans from a rusted hulk that was being sold off-the-books from a tow company. I solved the title issue, and now it's a matter of rebuild and go. Already has a 4.10 posi rear so it should be able to click 10s.... but junkyard? no way, presuming the car made the cut to the 'sell line', that GNX motor would never have made it pass the inventory guys (who then sell it on Craigslist)....

so no, chalk me up as "not possible"
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 18, 2019, 12:41 PM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          yeah, I ruined that Tbird by putting a Chevy motor in it.
                          Don't care. It wasn't street legal. Minimal creativity involved. Certainly not "period correct"

I'm sorry but this isn't about whatever throwback Squirrel has built in his copious free time. It's not about reliving 1979. Or 1965. Or whatever bygone part of the 20th century folks pine for these days. If we can't think up something 21st Century, then I guess we just can't.

BTW, I could probably come up with at least ten ideas in the next ten minutes -- all of which would fit into this challenge (and none of them involve building a truck or a Jeep or even a back-halved pro streeter . . . . ) I'm not saying they'd all be good or popular . . . . I can't believe I'm all that much more "inspired" than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post

my s10 is still a hot rod.
                            Never said it wasn't

Comment

...not finding an eye roll on the smilies...

Comment

I can't believe I'm all that much more "inspired" than everyone else.
                                I'm too busy doing stuff, to spend time thinking of lots of ideas that will never go anywhere.

Pick a good one, get to work, start a build thread, keep us posted on your progress.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X